z-treme model converter compatibility with crocotile 3d

I create a model in this program because is more simpler than blender an exports in .obj , but the z-treme converter dosen't seem to work
is only compatible with things create in blender (crocotile works with quads too) or i do missing something?
someone tried this program? because the jo-engine creator said this in twitter:

now i manage to load the crocotile 3d model into XL2´s model converter
IMG_20231030_041110_766.jpg

but now i got textures error (as far i know the textures must be 32bit no-compressed .tga files)
and the converter show me this error:
IMG_20231029_202512_113.jpg

It's telling you that it needs textures named 0.TGA, 1.TGA, and et cetera. The reason we use Blender over Crocotile in this case is because you need to know the names of the materials as exported from the editor.

I have this program - I never had a lot of luck getting the models I built to actually work in Jo-Engine. Which is too bad because it is pretty neat, especially for pixel-art style graphics.

Maybe this is something we could get the developer to fix? I can't think of any reason to export quads, unless you're developing for the Saturn, Model 2, or maybe the Nvidia NV1..

I know, but when I've tried to use the exported models with Jo-Engine, the textures never seem to work. Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
This is the fault of Jo-Engine's built-in tools. The other issue is that Crocotile does not expose the material names that the textures need to be. You could just open the .obj file and find the material names, but how will you know which texture that is? The way Crocotile exports it, you'd need a tool which supported UV maps, which the latest versions of XL2's ZTP converter should be able to handle.

I have this program - I never had a lot of luck getting the models I built to actually work in Jo-Engine. Which is too bad because it is pretty neat, especially for pixel-art style graphics.

Maybe this is something we could get the developer to fix? I can't think of any reason to export quads, unless you're developing for the Saturn, Model 2, or maybe the Nvidia NV1...
Captura de pantalla 2023-11-12 030138.png

recently i could load a 3d model from crocotile but you need the z-treme converter
GitHub - Maxime-XL2/Z-Treme-Engine-model-converter: Model converter tool for the Z-Treme engine
and coding some model tester (i use the one inside the emerald nova's seniriu project)
GitHub - EmeraldNova/Seniriu

You need also blender to change the .png textures to .tga ones (crocotile not support .tga)
if you need help i could help you to this point at least

Last edited:
I'll give it another go and see if I can make additional progress. I started building some more complicated models, but then I tried exporting a simple cube with different textures on each face, and it never worked (I'd get a cube that would draw, but the textures were always messed up).

These tools are so niche, it's hard to find anyone else who has even tried them - so I'm glad to hear some feedback from others who have managed to figure it out!

I did manage to export a model from TM1 (PC version) to Blender to Crocotile - unfortunately the UV mapping was broken in Crocotile, I think I need to try XL2's model convertor next:

1700244759320.png

1700244770079.png

I could manually remap the UVs, but there are actually 4 models for each character (for different damage levels) and the levels themselves would be a huge pain. Although on the levels I would want to use VDP2 for the floor anyway.

And man, the textures in TM1 are so horrible lol.

This is the fault of Jo-Engine's built-in tools. The other issue is that Crocotile does not expose the material names that the textures need to be. You could just open the .obj file and find the material names, but how will you know which texture that is? The way Crocotile exports it, you'd need a tool which supported UV maps, which the latest versions of XL2's ZTP converter should be able to handle.
where i could find the lastest version of the converter?? the github one is from 2019 and only suports models up to 256 verices
Captura de pantalla 2023-11-19 192950.png

this Little guy has more than 256 LMAO.

Alternatively - have you tried Reye's tank-game convertor? GitHub - ReyeMe/ModelConverter: Simple converter for some of my games

He's done a couple Saturn games already, of course Tank Game, but also SkyBlaster. I downloaded this ages ago, but never tried it - it appears to have a much easier path from Blender to Saturn (it comes with a Jo-Engine library, examples, and a game demo!). I wish I had tested it sooner because it looks promising.

Maybe there's a newer version of XL2's tool; his engine is awesome but not everyone has access to it. I did get his tool to work at least, but it wasn't easy. I just want to put Sweet Tooth on the Saturn, lol. Not reinvent the wheel :)

edit: I don't think it supports textures - but maybe that is something that could be expanded on? at least it works, lol
1700544502014.png

I didn't set up anything in Blender regarding lighting etc, so I assume that's why it looks wrong - but this took me the same amount of time it took to write this post to get this model from Blender to the Saturn:
1700544827519.png

@SuperReye - any comment? what would it take to add texture support to your tool? I assume it's flat-shaded only because it's quick/easy. also, flat shaded actually looks really great if done correctly.

edit2: it does support textures.. it says so right on the github, duh. It doesn't support UV mapping, which I get since the Saturn doesn't either, but that would make conversions from other programs easier. maybe that's what I meant!
1700545505013.png

Last edited:
Not really any progress but at least I learned a lot.

I got textures to work, but I had to basically re-do everything with quads in mind. Not sure how far I will get with this, the more I look at it, the more I think I'd be better off making my own models and textures from scratch. And then I think why not make it my own, lol...
1700632462564.png

Back