Favorite 16-bit Generation Console?

Cloud121

Established Member
This one's easy for me, and I'm sure most of you. I gotta go with the MegaDrive.

To me, it just has a much bettr library of games.

It's funny how everyone says that the SFC has the edge of RPGs. Maybe in number, but not in quality.

When you factor in the Mega CD, and my dear, beloved 32x :wub:, it get's even better.

Another reason why I prefer the MegaDrive over the SFC, is due to the graphics, and sound. The poorer graphics and sound in multi-platform titles just appeals to me more.

Beloved 32X? Don't get me wrong, I own one, I own games for it. It is cool. But I much prefer the Genesis and Sega CD library, as they are much larger and have more good games. Based on what it had to offer, I'd say the more useful add-on is the Sega CD. But that's a seperate issue. I vote Genesis, without a doubt.

Originally posted by Xavier@Sat, 2004-10-30 @ 08:14 PM

and last but not leadst what about the neo-geo ?

[post=122085]Quoted post[/post]​

I took this poll as a face-off between Super Nintendo and Sega Genesis, since Neo-Geo is rarely compared to the other two.

I voted for Genesis. :banana

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Sat, 2004-10-30 @ 08:16 PM

Beloved 32X?

[post=122086]Quoted post[/post]​

..was 32-bit ;) But I think the most important console which cloud forgot to add was the PC-Engine/ TurboGrafx (ya I know it was an 8-bit CPU, but the graphics was on par with 16-bit consoles, and was marketed to compete against the 16-bit consoles in the 16-bit generation!)

Nevertheless, Genesis/ MegaDrive gets my vote. I prefer having the relatively small (compared to the SNES) character sprites, and the very responsive feel of the controls. The SNES seemed too smooth (/slow) for my tastes to get this vote :D And even with the limited colour palette, the Genesis/ MegaDrive managed to have incredibly detailed characters and environments, which I think is quite impressive.

If I could vote for the Neo-Geo AES, I would... but since I cannot, the Super Famicom. Technically superior in almost every way and with a great game library. Nothing can beat the Sufami Turbo!

GENNY... this is a war i've had since 5th grade. Me and my friend Kyle fought to the fist with these two other kids which was better. If the all time winner would of be chosen by that day in the playground... it would be genny!

Hell yeah!

If only I could do that with all the Dreamcast naysayers...

Then again, the only fighting I can do is VF....

Its funny how des hangs out here and criticizes the SEGA... heh, not criticizing, its just funny!

isnt that like that weird peripheral for the nes that upgraded the system a little. I dont remember what the nes one was called, i think it was purple.... oh aladdin thats what it was

I too would vote for the Neo, but I'll take the Genesis in this case, mainly because its selection of arcade action type game is far better than what's offered on the SNES.

I personally think the SFC is Nintendo's worst console.

No, I'm sorry, the N64 is far, far worse. I'd say the SNES and NES are roughly tied for the best -- I'd give the edge to the NES, though.

SFC/SNES.... Don't get me wrong I love SEGA and the genny/megadrive, but it holds no comparisson to the extensive, mass, quality rpgs on the sfc and the beautiful sprites.

I too would have voted for the Neo too if it was on the damn poll.

The SNES was quite good in paper but in reality it was not so good. The processor was too slow, the normal resolution (99.9% of games) was lower than Genesis resolution, most of the graphics modes has a maximun of 128 colours but usually programers use much less colours, the sound was very good but no cd quality (maybe semi-cd quality) and in mode 7 there are some interesting graphics effects but most 3d games used custom chips such as dsp-1, dsp-2, SuperFX1, SuperFX2 etc.

So my vote goes for MegaDrive/Genesis :) .

Originally posted by RedAngel@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 10:10 AM

The SNES was quite good in paper but in reality it was not so good. The processor was too slow, the normal resolution (99.9% of games) was lower than Genesis resolution, most of the graphics modes has a maximun of 128 colours but usually programers use much less colours, the sound was very good but no cd quality (maybe semi-cd quality) and in mode 7 there are some interesting graphics effects but most 3d games used custom chips such as dsp-1, dsp-2, SuperFX1, SuperFX2 etc.

So my vote goes for MegaDrive/Genesis :) .

Hahaha, even considering all that, games on the Superfami look and sound a lot better than the MegaDrive games.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 10:52 PM

Hahaha, even considering all that, games on the Superfami look and sound a lot better than the MegaDrive games.

[post=122209]Quoted post[/post]​

I'd say they both look and sound unique - both look and sound good, and it's just a preference of what looks/ sounds good for you. Unless the graphics/ sounds were done with the same hardware, I see no reasonable comparison with the graphics and sound.

Back