Favorite 16-bit Generation Console?

Hm...

From Gamers Graveyard:

The Sufami Turbo is, essencially, an Aladdin Deck Enhancer for the Super Famicom, with a few twists. This device, made by Bandai, inserts into the SFC deck, and has two (!) smaller ports on top to accept special small Sufami Turbo cartridges. These games are very similar to those NES Aladdin games; they are similar sized, and similarly shaped. Two games used simultaneously with the Sufami Turbo can share game resources. The games cost less than normal SFC games, because they are cheaper to manufacture, I guess. I assume Bandai still had to pay Nintendo the licensee fee for each ST cart though. I don't think the device "upgrades" the SFC, like the Aladdin does the NES (provide extra RAM, etc.).

This device is quite rare, I believe. This device was going for $60 (with 2 ST carts) within one day of being put up for auction at eBay! All ST games are based on popular animes, both in Japan and the US, which is another reason this device and its carts go for so much.

List of Games:

Car Ranger

Crayon Shin Chan

Ge Ge Ge Kitarou

Poi Poi Ninja World

SD Gundam Generations

SD Gundam Generations B

SD Gundam Generations C

SD Gundam Generations D

SD Gundam Generations E

SD Gundam Generations F

SD Ultra Battle: Seven Densetsu

SD Ultra Battle: Ultraman Densetsu

Sailor Moon Sailor Stars Fuwa Fuwa Panic 2

Stars Fuwa Fuwa Panic completely owns. I love that game.

Gundam! :drool:

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 01:07 PM

I'd say they both look and sound unique - both look and sound good, and it's just a preference of what looks/ sounds good for you. Unless the graphics/ sounds were done with the same hardware, I see no reasonable comparison with the graphics and sound.

[post=122214]Quoted post[/post]​

- Graphics

-SuperFamicom

16-Bit PPU

256x224 Min Res.

512x448 Max Res.

256 Colors

15-bit Palette

128 Sprites

64x64 Sprite Size

4 Parallax Backgrounds

64KB Video RAM

-MegaDrive

VDP

320x224 Resolution

64 Colors

9-bit Palette

80 Sprites

32x32 Sprite Size

2 Parallax Backgrounds

64KB Video RAM

Ok!

She's basically pointing out the techincal superority of the SFC to the MegaDrive.

How about a 32x vs SFC comparison? ;)

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 12:52 AM

She's basically pointing out the techincal superority of the SFC to the MegaDrive.

[post=122242]Quoted post[/post]​

hehe, 32x may have better stats, but it didn't keep the games from looking like crap.

Originally posted by RolfWrenWalsh@Sun, 2004-10-31 @ 11:52 PM

[post=122242]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh, I see - for some bizzare reason I thought it may have had some slight relevance to the text she quoted me on...

I think the most important console which cloud forgot to add was the PC-Engine/ TurboGrafx (ya I know it was an 8-bit CPU, but the graphics was on par with 16-bit consoles

That's okay, the SNES CPU is 8-bit also. ;)

15-bit Palette

9-bit Palette

I think this may be the single most important difference between SNES and Genesis. It is possible to do good art with 9-bit color, but apparently it's not easy.

128 Sprites

80 Sprites

That's a pretty trivial difference in the grand scheme of things. For this kind of hardware the really important thing is sprite pixels per scanline...

64x64 Sprite Size

32x32 Sprite Size

This is mostly a convenience issue. Nothing (except sprite pixels per scanline...) stops a programmer from assembling 4 32x32 sprites to create a 64x64 sprite.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 10:04 AM

I think this may be the single most important difference between SNES and Genesis. It is possible to do good art with 9-bit color, but apparently it's not easy.

That's a pretty trivial difference in the grand scheme of things. For this kind of hardware the really important thing is sprite pixels per scanline...

This is mostly a convenience issue. Nothing (except sprite pixels per scanline...) stops a programmer from assembling 4 32x32 sprites to create a 64x64 sprite.

[post=122305]Quoted post[/post]​

Well the amount of sprites does come into play when you have smaller sprite limits... you now need to construct large sprites out of many small sprites causing you to use up you limit on sprites!

Who cares about the difference in graphics in games. Surely the best reason to like one console over another is due to the games avaliable only on that console.

For me the MD has Streets of Rage and Golden Axe, and I prefer Sonic to Mario. Hence the Mega Drive wins for me.

Really, processors like the 8088, 65816, and 68000 just illustrate the futility of trying to categorize a CPU's overall "width", because they mix and match a bunch of stuff. 65816 is "16-bit" in the sense that it has a 16-bit ALU (i.e. it can do 16-bit math), but if you want to go by ALU and register width then the Genesis and Neo-Geo are 32-bit. :D

Yes, the SH4 has a very divided architecture too. 128-bit? Or 16-bit? ;)

Anyway, Des is only going to point out the raw numbers that weigh in her favor, obviously. We wouldn't want to compare the 65c816 to the Motorola 68000. Of course it was technically superior overall, but it is built with much newer hardware. It's sad enough that it has the problems that it does, and indeed that many of the more graphically impressive games use extra chips to help them along.

Not to mention that the Genesis, much like the PS2, takes more work to produce good looking and especially good sounding games. But I guess developer talent (or lack thereof) shouldn't be factored into a console's potential, now should it? Or should it? ;)

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 08:04 AM

[post=122305]Quoted post[/post]​

Wait...

I thought the SFC CPU was just a 16-bit version of the GameBoy CPU...

:huh :huh:

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Tue, 2004-11-02 @ 07:37 AM

Anyway, Des is only going to point out the raw numbers that weigh in her favor, obviously. We wouldn't want to compare the 65c816 to the Motorola 68000. Of course it was technically superior overall, but it is built with much newer hardware. It's sad enough that it has the problems that it does, and indeed that many of the more graphically impressive games use extra chips to help them along.

I am not comparing processors, I am only talking about overall performance. I personally love the 68k/Z80 combo (Neo-Geo), but the amount of on-screen colors and sound quality on the Superfami are a lot superior than what the MegaDrive has to offer.

According to what I have read 512x448 produces a lot of flicker so it was a bit useless for games (I have not seen any game with this resolution). The typical resolution was 256x224 which is quite low.

Most SNES games use 2 graphics fields for background, 1 field for life meter, time etc and it is not very different from two planes for backgrounds and a window for life meter, time etc.

I don´t care if the VDP can handle a lot of big sprites if the machine can only move half of that number.

SNES has good features such as transparencies (for water, fog, clouds etc) and digitised sounds with higher sample rate (they were compressed sounds because space in cartridges was very limited).

Also the main Japanese companies (Konami, Capcom, Square etc) made much more games for SNES than for Genesis.

I dunno, Konami and Capcom both made a lot of games for the Genesis, many of them exclusive and awesome. I personally prefer the Genesis version of Contra to the SNES game, and the SNES doesn't have games like Strider, Mercs, or Forgotten Worlds. If you like awesome ports of arcade games, the Genesis is definitely a much better console to own.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Mon, 2004-11-01 @ 03:05 PM

Really, processors like the 8088, 65816, and 68000 just illustrate the futility of trying to categorize a CPU's overall "width", because they mix and match a bunch of stuff. 65816 is "16-bit" in the sense that it has a 16-bit ALU (i.e. it can do 16-bit math), but if you want to go by ALU and register width then the Genesis and Neo-Geo are 32-bit. :D

[post=122340]Quoted post[/post]​

Yeah, ever since I learnt that the DreamCast and GameCube (and Xbox?) were 64-bit (cpu) in another thread (perhaps it was you to told me :)), I have always compared/ categorised consoles though their graphics 'bit'. Ie, all next gen (this gen) consoles have 128-bit graphics.

EDIT: forgot that question mark :p

I have always compared/ categorised consoles though their graphics 'bit'. Ie, all next gen (this gen) consoles have 128-bit graphics.

Unless you're the guy designing the PCB, you should have little reason to care. The width of the memory interface is a relatively minor consideration in graphics performance; look at PC graphics cards, where "budget" versions of major engines often have their VRAM bus cut in half and still outperform last year's super-high-end cards by a comfortable margin).

Well, I care because I think it's inaccurate to compare most games across consoles which don't have the same graphics capability (graphics being one of the main things people seem to care about in games). Like I said, I used to use the cpu 'bit' figure, but after realising that it's bit is not important in regards to the graphics, I have changed towards using what I call graphics 'bit' ;)

Back