Shadow the Hedgehog

Dud

Established Member
The newest Sonic game has been announced, it features Shadow, and he is packing heat--that's right the first Sonic game to feature a handgun.

See the trailer: GameSpot

Ok, in theory a Shadow game would kick ass. But they really ruined it with that gun. It changes the whole pace of the game and for the worst I think after seeing that trailer. How many damn games out there have to rip off some element of Devil May Cry? Cuz all I see with this is Devil May Hog.

I hope the best for this game, but that gun is just a bad idea...I guess on that survey everyone picked "weapons" and seeming the first thing that came to their minds was a gun. :damn: :damn: :damn:

Hmm. Well, I'll keep my fingers crossed on this one. I wonder what was up with that poll? They certainly couldn't have gone from poll to trailer so quickly, so maybe they were just testing market response?

Hahaha, I'm glad I'm not the only one horrified by the trailer. The trailer raises so many problems that I don't even know where to begin. First, it's worth noting that the graphics look like any other 3D Sonic game - Sega hasn't improved the visuals at all. With other games, such as Jak 3 and Resident Evil 4, boasting such dramatic facelifts, how can this latest Sonic compete? Second, of course, is the gun. While we've seen Robotnik/Eggman boast a few goofy firearms in previous Sonic games, they all fit the theme of the franchise. This latest gun, like Darsh said, looks exactly like Dante's and appears too realistic for the Sonic theme. Third, the gameplay looks the same - the gun is just a gimmick that unsuccessfully hides the fact that you're playing "just another 3D Sonic game."

What is Sega thinking? Personally, I don't mind the switch from Sonic to Shadow, but I can't get over how little effort has gone into the project itself. Sega has very little to work with at this point, and Sonic has proven to be a successful character. (Despite all the virtual diarrhea his name has been dragged through.) What Sonic desperately needs is a polished, well-designed platformer that's true to the 16-Bit games, but Sega just simply refuses to think before they develop. Therefore, I can't be excited about this latest game. I still have hope for Shining Force NEO, one of at least three other Shining games in development, but I'm not even going to give Shadow the Hedgehog a chance. It's a shame, but this is the post-Dreamcast Sega of today. :(

Guns aren't cool, daft twits. :huh

"Oh yeah, guns are cool. Yeah. They, like, kill people, and, er... stuff. Yeah, so cool. Just like all of them gangster rapper types... they're so tough. How much do I want to be like one of them?"

Originally posted by SamIAm@Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 03:52 PM

See, this is why I don't want them to make a new NiGHTS game.
[post=131120]Quoted post[/post]​

I know; I would take any detrimental meddling with NiGHTS' classic formula as a personal insult! :(

I like the idea of a shadow game. However, This looks DUMB!! I would love a 3D rendered remake of the original Sonic. But have Shadow instead. Man, oh man. Sega's days do appear to be numbered.

Apparently they decided Sonic was too 'kiddie', and are going after a slightly age group in the most blatantly obvious way. Pretty ridiculous, but still, maybe the gameplay will be okay.

I'm going to stay optimistic about this one. I really didn't care for Sonic Heroes at all and this seems a bit closer in gameplay to the Sonic Adventure series.

What's really sad is that there's so much potential for the series - all they need to do is spend some time researching. Apparently, Sega just simply starts developing and plans the game as they go. With any luck, Sega will shut down and auction off the franchise to Naughty Dog. (But, chances are, it would go over to either Electronic Arts or Vivendi Universal and be whored out Crash Bandicoot-style.) :p

At least it's different... I'm cautiousley optomistic about this title, as long as it's done properly. SEGA needs to make sure this game perfect, and if they manage to make it fun, fast, and give it style it could work.

And if this game is successful I would be interested to see what kind of sequals may come out of this.

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 02:55 PM

At least it's different... I'm cautiousley optomistic about this title, as long as it's done properly. SEGA needs to make sure this game perfect, and if they manage to make it fun, fast, and give it style it could work.

And if this game is successful I would be interested to see what kind of sequals may come out of this.

[post=131134]Quoted post[/post]​

:agree

The gun may be a little over the top, but at least it is a change. I certaintly wouldn't want them to go in the same direction they went with Sonic Heroes.

From the looks of it, it will probably be all Sonic/Shadow speed-oriented action stages--which they should have done with Sonic Adventure 2, as such, I think this has the potential to be great. The gun is just a goofy little gimmick thrown in for shits and giggles.

IF Sega ever goes up for sales, there is only 1 company I want to see buy it, Nintendo. I dispise EA as a company. Thankfully Vivendi Universal isn't buying anymore (their trying to sell), and MS, well look what Rare has done.

Personally, I think there's a solid game underneath the mechanics in that trailer. I'm all for a fast pace action game with firearms, but wtf is this?

To me, the only way to salvage this concept is to remove any relation to the Sonic franchise whatsoever. Sega doesn't have a fucking clue what they're doing with Sonic and they haven't for years. It's bad enough that they're making a game revolving entirely around Angst the Hedgehog.

Hmmmm....... Funny. I just picked up this week's stash of new comics, and there on the shelf I saw the latest issue of <s>Sonic</s> SHADOW the Hedgehog.

Hmmm... Maybe some sort of raygun would work. Or a glue gun (the opposite of speed). But a firearm just doesn't suit the franchise.

What's really sad is that there's so much potential for the series - all they need to do is spend some time researching. Apparently, Sega just simply starts developing and plans the game as they go. With any luck, Sega will shut down and auction off the franchise to Naughty Dog. (But, chances are, it would go over to either Electronic Arts or Vivendi Universal and be whored out Crash Bandicoot-style.)

Good god, no. I can't recall a single Naughty Dog game that I've actually liked.

Back