Shadow the Hedgehog

I really don't know what to say to this...

atleast they didn't give the gun to Sonic.

But I really can't make a choice on this one, im gonna have to wait to play it. This could really go either way with me.

Who needs a gun? :angry:

Yes, the dark hedgehog rolls strapped with a pistol of some kind, and he appears to have no qualms about using it to take out fools that are in his way.

Oh, no! that scared me to death :puke:

I would love to see Knuckes beat the sh*t out of shadow the hedgehog,

you know, with his bare hands :devil

that would be nice, don´t you think?

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive+Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 06:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sixfortyfive @ Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 06:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sega doesn't have a fucking clue what they're doing with Sonic and they haven't for years.
[post=131149]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Exactly. Over the years, Sonic has become more child-friendly and, overall, less aggressive - Just the opposite of what Sonic was trying to be on the original Genesis. However, creating a game featuring just Shadow with a gun isn't the way to go. In a way, Sega is saying, "if you want teenage-oriented content, you have to play as Shadow, not Sonic." Again, the potential's there, but the team's not willing to put some effort into the planning.

By the way, according to Sega, Shadow the Hedgehog is, in fact, Sonic Adventure 3; In Japan, the game is titled "Sonic Adventure 3: Shadow of Hedgehog."

shadow.jpg

Yeah, you better run - away from this game.

Originally posted by CrazyGoon@Thu, 2005-03-10 @ 12:54 AM

Give the game a chance, guys...

[post=131161]Quoted post[/post]​

Unfortunately, we have no choice.

<!--QuoteBegin-it290
@Wed, 2005-03-09 @ 08:15 PM

Good god, no. I can't recall a single Naughty Dog game that I've actually liked.

[post=131151]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Personally, I thought Jak II kicked ass. Sure, it had some severely unbalanced moments, but the overall game was exceptional. 20 solid hours in length, a complex story, polished gameplay and graphics, and a well-written script. (Unfortunately, Jak 3 sucked due to a contradictory story, glitchy graphics, and an overly simple difficulty. Oh yeah, and only 10 hours of gameplay. Conclusion my ass.)

EDIT: Found some new images, and, despite the fact that they're huge and will stretch out the screen, I thought I'd share them anyway:

gamebox30lr.jpg

Just a note: This is not the official boxart.

001.jpg

A closer look at the blocky modeling - Notice the unaligned texture work on the walls.

003.jpg

An empty gun and a huge enemy. (With lots of smoke.)

005.jpg

Just like a real desert floor - it's completely flat.

I like the idea of making a spin-off game from the large selection of characters in the Sonic universe, and they certainly could do worse than using Shadow (at least Shadow has a mysterious past to create an interesting story from) like Big, Amy, or Cream. As long as it's just a spin-off and doesn't replace Sonic as the lead character.

The gun idea seems very gimmicky, and doesn't seem to fit the character. What about all of Shadow's other abilities? Surely he doesn't need a gun.

I guess we'll have to wait and see whether this game is any good, but I have a feeling it will at least be better than Heroes.

I'd like to see a spin-off game about Knuckles, because he has an interesting background that still hasn't been fully explored ie why is he the only remaining decendant of his civilisation?

Originally posted by IcePak+Fri, 2005-03-11 @ 10:58 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IcePak @ Fri, 2005-03-11 @ 10:58 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>I like the idea of making a spin-off game from the large selection of characters in the Sonic universe, and they certainly could do worse than using Shadow (at least Shadow has a mysterious past to create an interesting story from) like Big, Amy, or Cream. As long as it's just a spin-off and doesn't replace Sonic as the lead character.[/b]

Hahaha, I suppose you're right - If Sega announced a Sonic Adventure sequel starring Tails, I'd shoot myself. Using Shadow's gimmick gun.

<!--QuoteBegin-IcePak
@Fri, 2005-03-11 @ 10:58 AM

I'd like to see a spin-off game about Knuckles, because he has an interesting background that still hasn't been fully explored ie why is he the only remaining decendant of his civilisation?[/quote]

Unfortunately, that would constitute a good idea, and that's no longer the Sega way. ;)

I know I link to Penny Arcade a lot (syphon bandwidth actually) but the newest strip seems to be relevant to this discussion.

20050311l.jpg

Originally posted by Pumster@Fri, 2005-03-11 @ 06:23 PM

Hahaha, beautiful - Now, if only Sega would listen.

[post=131247]Quoted post[/post]​

Only if, as long as they make a profit they don't care. Afterall they are a corperate company that needs money.

Originally posted by Darsh@Sat, 2005-03-12 @ 01:22 AM

Only if, as long as they make a profit they don't care. Afterall they are a corperate company that needs money.

[post=131309]Quoted post[/post]​

That's true, but Sega's too small to have an Electronic Arts mentality - they've been losing money for quite some time now, and cranking out shitty games like Blood Will Tell isn't helping. What Sega needs is a huge change in management - If ANYONE ELSE ran Sega, Shadow-With-a-Gun would be scrapped in favor of a completely re-designed, more aggressive Sonic game.

Sorry to rain on your parade, but Sega has been profiting for years now. Sonic Adventure 2 sold close to a million copies on the GameCube alone, and Sonic Heroes sold way over a million copies in Europe alone.

Hell, the latest Sonic Mega Collection has been at the top of the charts for weeks now.

In case anyone has forgotten, Sega merged with Sammy to become one of the richest games companies in Japan. Why do people need a constant reminder of that fact? Do gamers like to think that Sega is going out of business or something?

I don't suppose you'd like me to remind you of the fact that Capcom has been losing money for years? A mainstream third party developer losing money? Perish the thought.

Sonic Adventure 3: Shadow of a Hedgehog has the potential to be great *if* and only *if* it retains the lightening pace of the older games. If even 50% of the gameplay involves running/speeding through colorful 3D locales at breakneck speeds, then a lot of Sega fans will be happy. Believe me.

Oh yeah, and screw EA; no one wants Sega to follow in EA's footsteps. No one.

Originally posted by Arthas@Sat, 2005-03-12 @ 08:02 PM

In case anyone has forgotten, Sega merged with Sammy to become one of the richest games companies in Japan. Why do people need a constant reminder of that fact? Do gamers like to think that Sega is going out of business or something?

Ahaha. Hahahaha. I wish it were true, but I'm sorry to say you've glossed over much of it.

The CEO of Sammy, to my recollection, was downright obsessed with buying up enough Sega stock to have a controlling interest in the company or a position on the board of directors or something. He's publicly stated that he wants Sega to focus on nothing but arcade games. He wants to fucking wipe the Sega much of us knew and loved off the face of the planet.

A lot of Sega's recent profits have come from internal reogranization within the company, i.e. firing a shitload of developers and closing different studios. Game sales haven't been necessarilly *bad*, but that's not the reason they're in the black. The Sega that walks the earth today is a zombie version of its former self.

Feh. I think it's time to play my newly acquired copy of Segagaga. :)

Originally posted by Sixfortyfive@Sun, 2005-03-13 @ 12:17 AM

The CEO of Sammy, to my recollection, was downright obsessed with buying up enough Sega stock to have a controlling interest in the company or a position on the board of directors or something. He's publicly stated that he wants Sega to focus on nothing but arcade games.

That's not quite true. He made those comments how long ago? And yet Sega is already developing games for the next generation consoles. The Sammy president's alarming comments were actually the product of a suspect translation.

How many times have you read that a sequel to Skies of Arcadia was "in the planning stages"? That comment was a mistranslation too.

Sammy itself is not only the publisher of the Guilty Gear seres, but has published Spy Fiction, on top of a new 3D Berserk game for the PS2, which although has yet to leave the shores of Japan, showcases the full power of the PS2. Sammy also plans to publish a gothic first person shooter for the PS2 called Dark Watch which looks very promising. Those aren't the actions of a company that has decided to abandon the console market.

Sega Sammy is indeed one of the richest games companies in Japan. Need I remind everyone that Virtua Fighter 4 is one of the most regularly played arcade games in Japan, and sold almost a million copies in the western world on the PS2? That's hardly what I call losing money.

To determine if Sega is making money, you need something more official than "they sold quantity 'x' of game 'a' therefore they're making money" While they may be making a profit from all these game sales, that is just their revenue.

Call me crazy, but when I saw the trailer to this game, I was actually… excited. I don’t know why exactly, but seeing that Shadow was paired with a gun of all things.. it seemed to fit his character, imo.

The Sonic Adventure series of games has had one key problem since it started, it’s been dumbed down for the American audience. What needs to happen is this sick “American” style Sonic that has emerged with Sonic Adventure needs to go. Bad voice acting aside, if you actually compare Sonic Aventure 2’s voices in English to what they are “really” saying in Japanese, the game is a bit more mature. Screw this lovely dovey shit, Sonic is supposed to be bad ass. He’s supposed to be a cocky little hedgehog with attitude, Knuckles is supposed to be a fowl whatever-he-is, and Tails… well, the annoying little tag-along genuis. Sega needs to up at LEAST the voice acting budget for Sonic Team in English to get some less then asstastic voice actors.

That, and I think Sonic Team could use a new employee or two… someone who knows what they are doing.

I agree with TheXev. Sonic Team needs to undo just about everything they did with the Sonic Adventure series. I'll explain later, because I don't feel like it right now.

EDIT: Screw it, it would be a three page essay if I wrote everything I had to say on the subject.

on a side note the berserk game isn't that good i have it played through some of it then stopped lost intrest. (maybe i'm just not into hack and slash). the game really didn't do anything that impressive.

Back