Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow... another thread which makes sense at the start, but becomes incomprehensible as the thread progresses. Only at SX :looney

---Ammut

You've all been drinking too much haterade. Sure it looks iffy, but I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt.

No, I didn't hack Des' account. She just forgot to logout when I used the computer. I was still in bed when she was using it. :p :smokin:

This game is gonna own. It's a nice twist on the VF series, it's an RPG like game (isn't that what was planned? I actually haven't followed the development that much), and... it's VF. The fact it being VF alone just means it'll own.

It's just a Kingdom Hearts variation? Well hopefully it won't have as horrendous a camera system as KH, and a tedious items system (during battle). It probably won't though. As Sega isn't washed up like Square. They'll make sure it's perfect before it's released.

Oh and, 'Cube version will be better. Simply due to faster load times, and better controls. Graphics won't matter that much. Wait... yeah they will.. 'Cube version = ANTI-ALIASING! I've played a variety of games on BOTH PoS2 and 'Cube, and the 'Cube version always controls a lot better, and always has a much better control scheme. The 'Cube has the best controller I've ever held.

I just watched the trailer: HOLY FUCKING SHIT! THAT GAME IS GONNA COMPLETELY DESTROY ALL!!! I NEED THAT GAME NOW! I just hope you can learn some of Sarah's moves....

Oh and, 'Cube version will be better. Simply due to faster load times, and better controls. Graphics won't matter that much. Wait... yeah they will.. 'Cube version = ANTI-ALIASING! I've played a variety of games on BOTH PoS2 and 'Cube, and the 'Cube version always controls a lot better, and always has a much better control scheme. The 'Cube has the best controller I've ever held.

I like the cube controller on the whole, but its dpad is probably the worst one ever. Even worse than the dreamcast.

D-pad sucks, and I am not a HUGE fan of the layout, it's nice though. The stick could be a lil more durable as well (mine is kinda wobley...it's the orgional one that has seen hundreds of hours of gameplay). It totally ownz the PS2 controler though.

Sorry about the earlier post, I didn't use punctuation, haha. Was suppost to read:

"Why you say that, It?" or "It, why you say that?"

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 8, 2004 @ 12:05 AM

Due to load times?

The Nintendo GameCube has a CAV GOD disc drive that gets between 16Mbps (2048Kb/s) and 25Mbps (3200Kb/s) depending on the location of the lens, it has no "special" loading abilities or anything similar.

In the other hand the Sony PlayStation2 has a 24x CD drive speed (3600Kb/s) or 4x DVD drive (5600Kb/s), this means, the PlayStation2 has a faster drive, sorry.

I will also make fun of the GameCube's extremely small media... 1,3Gb per disc? Sounds funny.

Regarding anti-aliasing, if you played the latest PlayStation2 Sega games, like Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, you will notice that Sega, like many other great game developers (Konami, Capcom, etc) have managed to run anti-aliasing alternatives on this system, so that *extremely old* excuse is not valid anymore, if a game has aliasing these days, it is mostly because of lazy development teams.

Concerning the control, we should just put it like this, overall, the DualShock2 controller is the best controller pad ever created, as simple as that.

I finally got it.

He was saying "Why (do) you say that, it290?" or "it290, why (do) you say that?"

To see what can go wrong in a conversion from GC to PS2 look at Sonic Heroes.

Thats why I'll be getting the GC version if the game turns out to be good.

As for controllers for 3D the GC's the best and for 2D the model 2 Saturn controller is the best. The PS2 pad is a decent middle ground.

I believe "why you say that?" is a correct sentence. Of course in europe/aussi or other foreing places it could be seen as insanely wrong. I have been back east and ppl have said it too, but more prodominate out west. Guess i'll have to start adding my "do"s to each sentence....

Saturn model 2 controller kills every other control pad available. As for PS controllers, I think the original model (digital only) controller is far superior to the dual shock 2 -- the dpad just feels a lot better. The buttons also have a better feel. DS2 buttons feel kinda 'soft'.. probably due to the analog thing. As far as analog controllers are concerned, the Saturn 3d pad is probably the best, followed by the cube controller.

Originally posted by Des-ROW+May 8, 2004 @ 02:20 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Des-ROW @ May 8, 2004 @ 02:20 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121@May 8, 2004 @ 12:05 AM

Due to load times?

The Nintendo GameCube has a CAV GOD disc drive that gets between 16Mbps (2048Kb/s) and 25Mbps (3200Kb/s) depending on the location of the lens, it has no "special" loading abilities or anything similar.

In the other hand the Sony PlayStation2 has a 24x CD drive speed (3600Kb/s) or 4x DVD drive (5600Kb/s), this means, the PlayStation2 has a faster drive, sorry.

I will also make fun of the GameCube's extremely small media... 1,3Gb per disc? Sounds funny.

Regarding anti-aliasing, if you played the latest PlayStation2 Sega games, like Virtua Fighter 4: Evolution, you will notice that Sega, like many other great game developers (Konami, Capcom, etc) have managed to run anti-aliasing alternatives on this system, so that *extremely old* excuse is not valid anymore, if a game has aliasing these days, it is mostly because of lazy development teams.

Concerning the control, we should just put it like this, overall, the DualShock2 controller is the best controller pad ever created, as simple as that.
[/b][/quote]

Okay, so the Anti-aliasing was just a stupid comment by me, due to my absolute hatred of $ony and the PoS2.

Faster drive doesn't mean that much. When you also factor in the processing (485 MHZ, 202.5 MHZ Bus Speed), RAM (24 MB 1T-SRAM, 3 MB 1T-SRAM for Video, and 16 MB A-RAM), and graphics chip (3MB 1T-SRAM, 202.5 Clock Speed), you can see how it can load a lot quicker than the PoS2. 1T-SRAM is the fastest RAM on the planet, and is able to get data streaming faster. And while this has nothing to do with load times, I'd like to point this out:

Gamecube renders up to eight effects layers to a polygon in a single pass, whereas the PoS2 features a multi-pass rendering system. So, for example, Gamecube developers can effectively start with the base geometry (1), add a bump-map to it (3), add a dirt map (4), add a gloss map (5), add a reflection map (6), add a radiosity light map (7) and an effects layer of their choice (8) -- all in a single pass. By contrast, PoS2 developers would have to re-render the polygon itself for every pass meaning eight times the work to get the same effect. So essentially PoS2 has to render 1,000 polygons eight times over whereas Gamecube only has to render 1,000 polygons once for the same effect.

That CAN have an impact on overall game performance.

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 8, 2004 @ 02:59 PM

Okay, so the Anti-aliasing was just a stupid comment by me, due to my absolute hatred of $ony and the PoS2.

Faster drive doesn't mean that much. When you also factor in the processing (485 MHZ, 202.5 MHZ Bus Speed), RAM (24 MB 1T-SRAM, 3 MB 1T-SRAM for Video, and 16 MB A-RAM), and graphics chip (3MB 1T-SRAM, 202.5 Clock Speed), you can see how it can load a lot quicker than the PoS2. 1T-SRAM is the fastest RAM on the planet, and is able to get data streaming faster. And while this has nothing to do with load times, I'd like to point this out:

Gamecube renders up to eight effects layers to a polygon in a single pass, whereas the PoS2 features a multi-pass rendering system. So, for example, Gamecube developers can effectively start with the base geometry (1), add a bump-map to it (3), add a dirt map (4), add a gloss map (5), add a reflection map (6), add a radiosity light map (7) and an effects layer of their choice (8) -- all in a single pass. By contrast, PoS2 developers would have to re-render the polygon itself for every pass meaning eight times the work to get the same effect. So essentially PoS2 has to render 1,000 polygons eight times over whereas Gamecube only has to render 1,000 polygons once for the same effect.

That CAN have an impact on overall game performance.

Sure, but considering that all you just stated is simply off topic, I will just make you remember what you first said.

As a side note, let me add that the GameCube's main RAM (24Mb) has a 2.6Gb/s bandwidth, while the PlayStation2's main RAM (32Mb) has a 3.2Gb/s bandwidth. And all that talk about the Gekko, let's simply say it has a 1.94GFLOPs performance, while the EmotionEngine has a peak performance of 6.2GFLOPs.

Anyway, I laugh at you stating that the GameCube's overall performance is better than the PlayStation2's, so, let's go to a more *practical* comparison. Tell me which is the GameCube game with the best graphics, or the one you believe pushes the hardware to it's limits.

The one with the best graphics I can think of would probably be... Resident Evil 4. The others would be REmake and Metroid Prime. I bet Metroid Echoes will improve upon Prime a little bit.

I'm looking at the PoS2 specs right now, and from what I remember about the 'Cube's specs, they both have 3.2 GB Bus Bandwidth (I'll need to check the 'Cube's, as my memory is kinda fuzzy). Even if it's slower (2.6 GB vs 3.2 GB), may I remind you of the speed of the the 'Cube's RAM? It's maximum latency has been clocked at 10 nanoseconds!

The Gigaflops you speak of are the Floating Point Performance correct? The PlayStation 2 is set at 6.2 Gigaflops. The 'Cube is set at 13 Gigaflops.

The 'Cube vs PoS2 comparison, reminds me a lot of the Saturn vs PSX days. To get the most out of the Saturn, you had to use both processors pretty well. Most developers only used one, due to the difficulty. The PSX had one central processor, so it was able to do more things than the Saturn could with just one of it's processors being used (which was the case most the the time with the multi-platform titles).

The PoS2 relies on it's CPU, and it's Vector Units. What the differences between VU0 and VU1 are, I don't know. I don't even know if both can be utilized at the same time, along with the processor (I don't know that much about the PoS2's specs). The 'Cube has the Gekko CPU as it's primary source of power. It's much easier for developers to take advantage of the Gekko CPU, than that of the PoS2's CPU + Vector Units. Then again, a lot of which I'm speaking of are of developers thoughts at the launch of both consoles. I'm sure no one has problems (if any) with the PoS2's CPU and Vector Units nowadays.

Originally posted by Supergrom+May 9, 2004 @ 07:35 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Supergrom @ May 9, 2004 @ 07:35 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Pearl Jammzz@May 8, 2004 @ 06:48 PM

I believe "why you say that?" is a correct sentence. Of course in europe/aussi or other foreing places it could be seen as insanely wrong. I have been back east and ppl have said it too, but more prodominate out west. Guess i'll have to start adding my "do"s to each sentence....

that most definitely is not a correct sentence, though most people at least in america would understand it. Just because people say it doesn't make it correct. [/b][/quote]

I understood that part, that's why I put do in brackets.

What threw me was your use of it as a shortened version of it290's username.

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 8, 2004 @ 07:08 PM

The one with the best graphics I can think of would probably be... Resident Evil 4. The others would be REmake and Metroid Prime. I bet Metroid Echoes will improve upon Prime a little bit.

The Gigaflops you speak of are the Floating Point Performance correct? The PlayStation 2 is set at 6.2 Gigaflops. The 'Cube is set at 13 Gigaflops.

The 'Cube vs PoS2 comparison, reminds me a lot of the Saturn vs PSX days. To get the most out of the Saturn, you had to use both processors pretty well. Most developers only used one, due to the difficulty. The PSX had one central processor, so it was able to do more things than the Saturn could with just one of it's processors being used (which was the case most the the time with the multi-platform titles).

The PoS2 relies on it's CPU, and it's Vector Units. What the differences between VU0 and VU1 are, I don't know. I don't even know if both can be utilized at the same time, along with the processor (I don't know that much about the PoS2's specs). The 'Cube has the Gekko CPU as it's primary source of power. It's much easier for developers to take advantage of the Gekko CPU, than that of the PoS2's CPU + Vector Units. Then again, a lot of which I'm speaking of are of developers thoughts at the launch of both consoles. I'm sure no one has problems (if any) with the PoS2's CPU and Vector Units nowadays.

BioHazard4 has not been released, the BioHazard remake is not really impressive because it uses pre-rendered backgrounds. Metroid Prime is very nice, still, not really impressive.

Regarding GFLOPs, you are comparing a single processor's GFLOP count, with a whole system's GFLOP count. The Gekko has a 1.94GFLOP performance, the EmotionEngine has a 6.2GFLOP performance.

That comparison you talk about is pretty accurate, the PlayStation2 being placed as the Saturn, and the GameCube as the PlayStation.

You are wrong, first, you do not know much about the PlayStation2 architecture, and you base your "knowledge" in one thing - hatred. Second, the GameCube relies more on the ATi LSI chip than on the CPU, just like the Xbox. Regarding the use of the PlayStation2 architecture "correctly", since the Performance Analyzer was released, games have improved amazingly, still, there is a lot for developers to learn, in other words, MANY, if not MOST developers have issues with the system's architecture.

I understood that part, that's why I put do in brackets.

What threw me was your use of it as a shortened version of it290's username.

Heh, I'm used to it, but just for reference, it's 'eye tee two ninety', not 'it' as in 'cousin it'. ;)

Originally posted by racketboy@May 8, 2004 @ 08:34 PM

Des -- I must say -- you are a fangirl.

As much as I love her, that's one of her flaws :p

And yes, I knew I was probably wrong. Yes, I already said I didn't know much about the architecture of the the PlayStation 2. I'm just basing it all off of what I've read, and what I remember. Remember how I mentioned a lot of what I spoke of was from developers points of view at both console's launches?

Originally posted by racketboy@May 8, 2004 @ 09:34 PM

Des -- I must say -- you are a fangirl.

Fangirl meaning that I am indeed a Sony fan.

But not meaning that I senselessly hate all other consoles and have no valid arguments to backup my beliefs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back