Well then, this time its finally voting!

Originally posted by shargifr@Oct 2, 2003 @ 04:34 PM

I just try le Spin! :agree What a game!!!!!

It's really original, fast, and I like this kind of graphics!!!

U must try it!!!!

Sha

:agree :thumbs-up: :agree

I'm impressed, Le sPin had 9 votes in one day, woow :D

I'm waiting to see the same for other entries, they deserve more votes (Slinga Save Game Copier, The Rockin'-B MineSweeper, El Piratero El Tekolote Demo and Reinhart Sonic Steals A Ring )

I'm impressed, Le sPin had 9 votes in one day, woow

Well... I can't pretend these votes are a total surprise to me as I reminded some lesPin enthousiats they had to vote before the end of the week. Some of them even like "le Pin", you know...

By the way, I couldn't vote, myself: the system kept saying me I already did.

Someone had a look at the number of votes?

This must be a joke! Where are all the Saturn fans gone....

I believed there would be more voters too. How many people do regulary visit sx ?

For your information :

Since the SX CD is available there was 197 dowloads for an average dowloaded size of 903.08 Ko( full size 2318 ko).

It's not so bad and it continues to increase, I hope it means some people will vote soon :)

Here is a message I got from El Piratero. He wanted me to post it here since his computer won´t work.

Hi guys, im sorry my demo doesn't work on real hardware. i'm

wondering if

any of you would like to look at my source code to see where i went

wrong... and e-mail

me the pieces of code to [el_piratero at hotmail dot com] ok seeya.

I can´t get the cd running on my european mutinorm saturn (can play PAL and us and jap NTSC), i´m sure i do the swap-trick the right way (other cds are working fine) :unsure:

OK, now i got it - i was really too slow with the swaptrick :(

Here is my review:

Slinga Save Game Copier

Nice app but nothing for me... ;)

Vreuzon Le sPin

Crazy thing, movement with the directional button would be easier than with the abcxyz buttons, but really nice game :eek:wned

The Rockin'-B MineSweeper

Well known game, well made... :cool:

El Piratero El Tekolote Demo

Sadly not running so i can´t say anything about it, would have been fine to see a selfmade shooter... :unsure:

VBT Different Entries

Wow, great work at all! :eek:mg:

Reinhart Sonic Steals A Ring

sorry but :sleep:

So my vote goes to VBT for his great work!

Damn, why the hell can´t we crack this fu..ing security check...would be so great to see such apps and games for everyone...

Suggestions for the next contest:
  • Voting:

Two things.

First: I really like what Mr. Saturn did. If every voter explaines his decision and gives comments to the entries, it would be a cool feedback for us coders and a barrier against cheating.

Second: voting for just one favorite entry is bad. What about letting the voter put all entries in order from best to worst. Worst gets zero points, next place above gets 1 point more and so on untill the best. Points add up to a fair result. This way the best entry is chosen much more reliable than in this voting :thumbs-up: .
  • Prices:

We need sponsors. And we need prices also for the 2nd and 3rd place.
  • PR:

The official contest page needs a logo and a link on the main segaXtreme page. These news posts from time to time don't make the page easily accessible for all new visitors. Much more publicity is needed to ensure that all potentially interested people get to know of the contest.
  • Rules:

From ExCyber:

This is probably a bit off-the-wall, but have you considered having milestone deadlines? I.e. do something like:

Oct. 15: Project name / Abstract submitted

Nov. 15: WIP screenshot

Dec. 15: final screenshot

Dec. 20: Project due

Just a random idea, haven't decided myself if I like it a bunch.

I suppose it would give you a better sense of how developer interest is, but it does seem kind of limiting...

This milestone approach is really a good idea. So gamers are better informed about the progress of the entries and coders are more motivated.
What do you think? I really would appreciate to have 1-2 contests each year. Is that possible?

I like your ideas for more contests.

Two things.

First: I really like what Mr. Saturn did. If every voter explaines his decision and gives comments to the entries, it would be a cool feedback for us coders and a barrier against cheating.

This is true. You should have mentioned it earlier. Might be a good idea for comming contests though.

Two things.

Second: voting for just one favorite entry is bad. What about letting the voter put all entries in order from best to worst. Worst gets zero points, next place above gets 1 point more and so on untill the best. Points add up to a fair result. This way the best entry is chosen much more reliable than in this voting .

Good idea, but we need to design a special voting page to do that, since this board won´t support it.

Prices:

Perhaps, but who would acctually sponsor a small Sat contest like this? Perhaps if we make something big about it. Like the retro-contest which was some time ago. You could win a whole box full of nice stuff. Don´t remember what it was called though...

PR:

The official contest page needs a logo and a link on the main segaXtreme page. These news posts from time to time don't make the page easily accessible for all new visitors. Much more publicity is needed to ensure that all potentially interested people get to know of the contest.

Yes, your right. A link would have been good. I shouldve put one up.

1-2 contests a year? Shure, then I might me able to do something next time.

BTW : Tomorow is the last voting day for this contest!

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Oct 5, 2003 @ 08:18 PM

[*]Voting:

Two things.

I agree, we will understand why people choose an entry instead of others.

Second: voting for just one favorite entry is bad. What about letting the voter put all entries in order from best to worst. Points add up to a fair result

Yes it would be more fair, I was forced to vote only for me but I thought you deserve something for your game.

[*]Prices:

I remember they were not yet defined for second and third place maybe there is something now.

[*]Rules:

From ExCyber:

This is probably a bit off-the-wall, but have you considered having milestone deadlines? I.e. do something like:

Oct. 15: Project name / Abstract submitted

Nov. 15: WIP screenshot

Dec. 15: final screenshot

Dec. 20: Project due

I'm not sure it's good, it can demotivate people if someone have a really good entry.

In addition, I thought there would have some points for technical parts :

- Sound / No Sound

- SBL / SGL / Assembly

- 3D / 2D

- Audio Tracks use

- A+B+C+START to reset (it's silly but usefull)

- etc ...

I would offer an Per4mer Wheel including pedals and box with instructions (i.e. complete) for the second winner, but with one restriction: He/She has to live in Europe, because it would be too expensive to send it to USA (for example) aside from the problems with the customs duty... :cheers

per4mer.jpg

And if someone (Daniel, El_Piratero?) wants to have webspace for a real contest page including support of CGI/PHP/MySQL (for letting the Author´s edit their post, description, Voting-Script, etc...) don´t hesitate to contact me.... <_<

Wow, nice second price :) Now I'm wondering what is better being first or second ?

Ah no it's for the next contest (second winner) , I will make a racing game to have a chance to win this price :D

Originally posted by vbt@Oct 6, 2003 @ 01:33 AM

Ah no it's for the next contest (second winner)

No, it´s for the actual contest, but i said 2nd winner as i think the second place is not a looser place :D

Too bad that I'm going to be in third place... :(

For what systems can the Per4mer Wheel be used?

Cool banner, Mr. Saturn. But there is the japanese Saturn with the european/american Saturn logo. Only a sidenote. I really like the japanese Saturn and it's logo. This early design is what I associate with the best console ever made :D .

Thanx for the webspace offer. Now we only need someone with script knowledge or premade scripts for future votings...

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Oct 6, 2003 @ 09:27 AM

Too bad that I'm going to be in third place... :(

For what systems can the Per4mer Wheel be used?

Cool banner, Mr. Saturn. But there is the japanese Saturn with the european/american Saturn logo. Only a sidenote. I really like the japanese Saturn and it's logo. This early design is what I associate with the best console ever made :D .

Thanx for the webspace offer. Now we only need someone with script knowledge or premade scripts for future votings...

The Per4mer Wheel is for Saturn and PSX

Zu Dir nach Berlin hätte ich es natürlich gerne geschickt...

And i´m looking for some helpful scripts right now, but please look too... ;)

If every voter explaines his decision and gives comments to the entries, it would be a cool feedback for us coders and a barrier against cheating

Voting for just one favorite entry is bad

I Agree, and I think an overall note would be sufficient (ie, no technical note); and it should come with a litterate explanation. We have to consider the case of non working games or apps (thus, such progs should'nt be evaluated), and more generaly, the case of a user who doesn't want to evaluate a particular prog.

Do you think we could make some thematic contests ? Could be more emulating... I don't know.

What about the <reset> button ?

I would offer an Per4mer Wheel including pedals and box with instructions (i.e. complete) for the second winner [...] it's for the actual contest, but i said 2nd winner as i think the second place is not a looser place

Woh ! How could I disagree ? Are you some kind of saturn patron ?

With all those precious remarks maybe we should keep prizes for next contest. Everybody agree that hte current way of voting can be improved.

What about the <reset> button ?

No because, it would be useful for the boot CD to return to the main menu nd avoid to perform swap trick for each entry.

Shit! Shit! I forgot to vote! :(

Anyway, my vote goes to Slinga.

The Save Game Copier is very useful for me.

Mr. Saturn, about the secont contest, I can code in ASP. Tell me if it will be useful.

And vbt, where is the logo I created for the contest? ;)

Please, can someone tell me why I became 3rd :huh ?

I really don't know why... .

I mean I could have left out all that stuff that took so much time. Things that I only made to make the game a 1st place candidate like all that backup support stuff with replays and highscore table.

Man I sacrificed the whole last weekend of the contest and drove 600 km only to implement improvements that me and a friend found out, like the 2 player matches. And I sacrificed the Saturn, but that's my fault :damn: .

What I want to say: I could have reached the third place with only a quarter of work that I actually did.

But the next contest, I won't give the competitors any chance to beat me ;) .

Back