1 second power off - Game Gear

Game Gear is turning off after 1 second, i have not modified the console, i am wondering what modification to start with, should i replace capacitors or something else?

Have you tried it plugged in? Actually I don't own a game gear so I'm not sure if it even has a charger or if it just uses standard AA batteries or whatever. If it does have a charger, trying running it plugged in and see where that gets you. If it just takes standard disposable batteries, I would hope you already tried swapping them out :p

Okay, hmmm strange. Do you have a multimeter to test the current and voltage coming out of the ac adapter? It could be a faulty plug, that could've fried something inside the game gear. Working in IT i've seen this happen far too often with laptop chargers that went bad that were outputting way too much current and frying people's motherboards.

Okay, hmmm strange. Do you have a multimeter to test the current and voltage coming out of the ac adapter? It could be a faulty plug, that could've fried something inside the game gear. Working in IT i've seen this happen far too often with laptop chargers that went bad that were outputting way too much current and frying people's motherboards.
i have a muiltimeter but i need to get batteries for it

What's the rating on the power adapter? Is 13.8v close to what it should be outputting? I don't own a game gear myself so I can't check :p. Also make sure its outputting the right current (of course it won't be exact, never is, just like voltage or anything else, but it should be close to what its rated for).

Game gear powering off after a few seconds is a common manifestation of the capacitors going bad (same issue that causes the audio to go out). The vast majority of game gears will have their caps go bad by now, so that's likely the case. There's people on e-bay that will fix your game gears, or trade-in your old one in purchase for a new one that's already been modded.

Back