• dvd.gif
    dvd.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 99
  • dvd.gif
    dvd.gif
    32.1 KB · Views: 98
Originally posted by mal@Aug 29, 2004 @ 04:20 PM

That's not what the DVD Forum say. :huh:

Maybe I'll call it Disgustingly Vile Disc, and there's nothing The Forum can do to stop me. They have no real power. Muahahahahaha!

In the article they mention this "high-level compatibility with DVD and CD discs "

In what way are they going to be compatible aside from the fact they are the same size?? Reading and writing to these disks uses an altogether different approach, or am I not understanding something correctly?

It could have one layer or section that is DVD compatible, I think they mentioned something like that. I don't know what the hell the point is, really. But I do know one thing: It will be 100% incompatible with my wallet. So I won't be using it until it is made compliant.

Yeah.. that doesnt really make much sense to me either.. I guess it could maybe be possible to put a Movie on there in DVD format that a normal DVD player can read and put it on there with the hologram technology for people with the new players?

When they said "compatible", they didn't mean the disc could be compatible with DVD/CD players. They meant the HVD player can be compatible with CDs and DVDs, since they got the reading proccess to be similar at some points. There's a red laser that reconstructs the holographic image, and it's possible to make it capable of reading CDs and DVDs.

That would not be possible if they used cubes-shaped media, with lasers comning from two different directions. Such thing would never read a normal disc without having a whole CD/DVD drive attached to it.

Back