2 different saturns?

paul26000

Ban Hammered
i bought a second sega saturn the other day and when i got it home saw it is different from the 1 i already had, the 1 i had already has gray buttons at the front , and the new 1 i got has nice black buttons surrounded by a shiny black plastic . GO HERE TO SEE THE 2 SATURNS I OWN AND GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SCREEN.. http://hometown.aol.co.uk/paul26000/page6.html

Now i thought that was the only difference but the new saturn appears to not play soviet strike, i tried other games and it works fine and works ok on my other system??? strainge......there is no scraches on the disk

I only have 9 saturn games so cant test any more on it, has any 1 else had this problem and can any 1 tell me how many models there actualy is and what model the 1 i have it..................................?

The one with black ovals buttons is a model 1 saturn (first model released), it has a cd access light which allows the swap trick to be done quite easily.

The other one is a model 2 saturn.

oh right, but can you explain why the model 1 doesnt play soviet strike?

And is there any difference in the hardware of the two models?

I don't see why the model 1 wouldn't play this game : the 2 models should play it the same way.

The differencies between the 2 models are mostly esthetics.

I own a model 1 and I never got any problem of this kind.

For me your model 1 has a problem which isn't model related ...

If you play enough games, you'll probably notice that the model 1 doesn't play quite a few games, or games crash often on it.

So surely the sega model 1 would be the most compatable, weird.

I had a look inside both systems last night. the cd part is larger in model 1 and the power supply is stuck on the lid of the saturn, where in model 2 the cd part is much smaller(more refined) and the power supply is on the base of the unit, the lid has nothing attached to it.. suppose if u looked under the metal sheilding there would be less chips on the mobo.

Well im just going on a little, here is any 1 knows any real reason for the model 1 saturn not playing quite 100% all games please tell us!!!!

It could just be that the model 1 Saturn's laser has degraded somewhat and isn't reading quite as well.

I'd be amazed if there was some fundamental problem that model 1 Saturns suffered from that model 2s did not.

Well i would mabey of said that to MEL but its only ever soviet strike that doesnt play, infact it doesnt even recognise there is a cd in the drive, and all my other 9 games work perfect in both models....

Im going to get hold of a few more games and try them out cause the guy up above said there is quite a few games that dont work on model 1.

Mabey a reason sega changed to model 2, although probably not!!! model 2 cheeper to make ...

On a totaly different point does the genesis game genie also work for the sega cd?

I asked this question also on the genesis site but no reply yet!!!

I'm surprised you didn't know about the 2 Saturn models, I have a US model 1 but it has no problems, i think your model 1 is just worn from heavy usage.

As for the Game Genie, no, it does not work for SEGA CD.

Didnt think the game genie worked, oh well never mind.

I actualy no very little about the sega saturn and dreamcast although i have all sega models and would count my self as a sega enthusiast and collector.

Ill just need to keep reading up on the net and asking all you lot lots of questions.

Ok here is a question: How rare is the sega master system convertor 2?

I have both convertors but never heard of the 2 model till i bought 1 the other say?

cheers :smash

Paul,

Don't get rid of that model one! I know it may not be as reliable, but when you learn what "switching" means... you'll be glad you have both models.

I would have never had the chance to play Radiant S if I didn't find a model 1.

jeff i know about the disk swap thingy, and when the access light goes out you swap your disks, right?

So do you agree the model 1 isnt as good as model 2? model 1 lookes nicer though. :banana

I have played buttloads of Saturn games, and NO game ever refused to work in my model1, Soviet Strike included.

I'm 99% sure it's the CD drive fault. It might be worn out. Believe me, there's no logic in which CDs work/fail in worn drives, with or without scratches.

CDs can degrade in many more ways than scratches (sunlight, humidity, fungi). Maybe your Soviet Strike CD isn't as readable as the other games, and the model 1's laser drive, also degraded, might not be able to read it.

A small story: ages ago, I went to rend Guardian Heroes (way before I actually bought it). In the store's Saturn (that got LOTS of daily playtime), the music skipped a LOT, and it got me worried. But at home, in my Saturn, it played flawlessy.

The CD had minor scratches, that the store's saturn was more sensisitble to. It was also a model1.

Originally posted by paul26000@Oct 19, 2003 @ 08:11 PM

jeff i know about the disk swap thingy, and when the access light goes out you swap your disks, right?

Try switiching on a model 2 !!!!

After 200 tries, you'll throw the disc against the wall and start surfing ebay for a model 1... :rant

Funny I got the hang of it after my 3rd or 4th try. After that I got it on the first try each time. This was on my model 2. I find listening for the sound of the laser assembly moving back and forth easier to swap with then the stupid light. Heck I had MORE problems swaping when I tried to do it on a friends model 1 and using the light.

Maybe you're right M. Ah well, still a good model for the collection.

You see I have a goal as to where I collect everything (or just about everything) for the MASTER SYSTEM/GENESIS/GAME GEAR/SATURN/DREAMCAST...

So as for the swapping things, well I really dont wanna play the machines, just keep em all packed away and once in a while take them all out to look at and just perhaps play :wub:

I disagree, Emulators keep these classic machines alive, bring the old games to new generations.

I would rather play games on the real machines however as with my saturn 1 model if i want it to stay in good working i need to keep it safely packed away and only to bring out 1's in a while when i forget what it lookes like. amd the emulator, well who cares if it gest broken or whatever .

And another good thing about emulators is all the extras that come with em like save at any stage, snap shots ect ect

And the fact that i only ever had a few games for any 1 games machine where now i have over 600 genesis roms alone......!!!!!!

So and you still say they suck, remembering to that some of the emulators are 100% the same game play???

Back