5 Best Cartoons of All Time!

Hmmm, I got home after work yesterday...dead tired. Before I even took my tie and shoes off I plopped down on the couch (upside down of course, like we all used to do). Then I got to thinking..."man, I haven't watched toons in a while!" So on went the comcast but I couldn't find anything really interesting. They sure don't make cartoons like they used too, that's for sure.

So, without further delay I present to you my top 5 cartoons of all time!

--

"Yes, the stuff that dreams are made of."

#1. - Batman the Animated Series -

I don't think too many will argue that this was one of the best toons ever made. From the stylish art to the intrigue of the writing, BTAS showed that although fighting for justice...Batman is one sick puppy. Still, without super powers or a giant robot of any kind, Batman got results (uh, most of the time). But more importantly, you saw that Bruce is human and has flaws just like anyone else.

Favorite Episode: Gah! really hard to choose! Either "His Silicon Soul", "Perchance to Dream", or "Robin's Reckoning" (I never took Robin seriously till I saw this). Holy crap! Without a doubt, the best cartoon series I've ever seen in my life.

--

"My mentor is an oversized chicken?"

#2. - Mighty Max -

Ah, shame on you if you don't remember the cap-bearer. In a t-shirt and baggy jeans, Might Max was your typical kid thrust into an incredible situation. If you just look at the plot on the surface...it seems pretty lame, but watch a few episodes and you'll be hooked. Fantastic writing and character interaction coupled with the talented voice acting of Rob Paulsen & Tim Curry made this one always fun to watch.

Side note: The last episode had the best way to loop a cartoon series ever!!

--

"Going Hot!"

#3. - The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest -

The original JQ was good enough on it's own, but this was one of the rare cases where an update actually did a classic series justice. Some of the best use of early 3D graphics in a cartoon, the adventures these guys would get into were always action-packed and intense. Also, Dr. Quest and the gang didn't always come out on top and that was a major part of the shows charm. Couple great art (2D & 3D) with good writing (just enough mystery to keep things interesting till the end) and you've got a winner!

I don't care what anyone says...Johnny is Race Bannon's kid.

--

"Quake with FEAR!!"

#4. - Ronin Warriors -

Action figures are to dolls, what Ronin Warriors were to Sailor Moon. Essentially, It gave us a way to enjoy the same concept without getting beat up. But really, this was a good show. Waaay more into action than story telling, but it was a welcome change of pace from the other stuff I used to watch. The final episodes are fantastic, and it's impossible to not find a character you could relate too in the pack. While the animation looks worse than I remember it, it's not any worse than your standard anime. Quality stuff and highly recommended.

--

"Blue streak, speeds by..."

#5. - Sonic the Hedgehog -

Long after the Legend of Zelda and the god-awful Super Mario Brothers Super Show...there was a Sonic cartoon. Uh, actually there were 2 of them, both out at the same time. One was aimed more towards little kids with some pretty bad artwork and slapstick writing (did have some funny moments though). But the other one was my favorite. It featured Sonic and a bunch of other freedom fighters against Dr. Robuttnick (heh) in a way about as serious as you could possibly do it. Man, you never truly appreciated how fast Sonic was till you saw this. And the main theme Rocked!!

I must've been the only kid that ever liked Antoine as a character.

--

Other honorable mentions:

Cowboy Bebop:

Awesome cartoon, and the movie has the most amazing animated fight scene your eyes will ever see. It's like the cartoon equivalent of the rooftop fight in Jackie Chan's "Who Am I".

Big O:

For the life of me, I honestly couldn't tell you why I enjoy this anime so much.

Voltron

Cause in the future, we'll all wear bell bottoms...

Mask

Damn you to hell if you don't know what this is!

Detective Conan

Nice idea and really interesting episodes, it's just that I can't stomach most of the characters.

Go-bots (damn cheap ass parents never got me a real transformer...)

The poorer cousin of the Transformers...these guys were still pretty entertaining. Hell, if I drank, I'd pour some out for Leader One right now.

Gundam W

Could've been sooo much cooler than it was. The pilots spend a little too much time wondering "Are the Gundams only made for brining war?" while at the same time they're making some lady out there a widow. No you moron, they just carry around all those weapons cause they look scary and deadly. Come to think of it, my real only reason for watching this is because no matter how you slice it, Duo Maxwell is one cool character.

Batman Beyond:

A good try and probably the second best series ever to have the Batman title. Just a little too much action instead of mystery...and the art style was just like 2 or 3 other cartoons at the time, which felt sorta like a ripp-off.

And of course...Ducktales.

Ha! So that's my list. What're yours?

danger mouse

tmnt

heman

thundercats

i can't think of any more i mean i can just those are off the top of my head

edit- snorks

smurfs

boby's world

muppet babies

will further edit

dungeons and dragons forgot that one

will further edit

Zaksund, I hate to say it, but except for B:TAS (which still isn't near the top 5 IMO), your choices are way beyond weak.

Gundam Wing? Please tell me your joking.

As a stand alone anime series, it's pretty good.

But as a Gundam series.... :puke:

Oh and, Domon Kasshu (G Gundam) > All other Gundam characters.

If anime counts, there are a bunch of series that make most of the stuff in Zaksund's top 5 look like junk: Bleach, Fullmetal Alchemist, Samurai Champloo... I'm sure others could chime in, but there wouldn't be much point. As for non-anime series, my top 5 would probably look something like (unsorted)

Max Fleischer's Superman (the modern series is decent, but Fleischer's are just amazing)

X-Men

Gargoyles

Invasion: America (the series itself isn't that fantastic, but the producers definitely deserve props for having the balls to even attempt it)

Batman: The Animated Series (I guess)

Gah! :blink:

Zaksund, I hate to say it, but except for B:TAS (which still isn't near the top 5 IMO), your choices are way beyond weak
Blasphemer!!

:lol: Ouch dude...that just hurts. But hey, I still respect you for your diffent tastes. That's the cool thing about toons, what some people love...others can't stand. But asking around introduces you to stuff you totally wouldn't have even given a chance otherwise.

There would've been more anime on my list. But a few years ago, between the mound of DVDs / VCDs (Damn you Tokyo Kid), Sputnik 7, and cartoon network...I suffered some serious anime burnout. The thing is (well, as far as I can tell) when anime is good...it's freakin' excellent! But man, there is sooo much of the 'me-too!' stuff out there, that you've really gotta be careful...especially when starting out with a random series you've never heard of.

Just last night I watched 'Kite' and while my wife loved it, I thought it was crap (Heh, though it's amazing how similar it looks like the old dirty CD series). Then again, she's into stuff like Slayers (ugh!) and Technolayze (it's okay). Different strokes I guess.

And while it seems my favs get no love here, it's cool, and I can totally see some of your points.

- danger mouse

My god, how I loved this show when I was a kid. The episode where Pinfold (I think that was it) gets karate skills...heh, just thinking about it still cracks me up! Unfortunately, I didn't get the joke about Grovel till I was like 12.

- thundercats

lol, the only half hour you could run around the house yelling "Ho!" without getting in trouble. I always prefered this one to the Silverhawks.

- Gundam Wing? Please tell me your joking.

Hey, it's an honorable mention :lol: (blatant cop-out). Besides, how many times can Heero fall like 3 stories and land on his head before he actually dies!?

Oh and, Domon Kasshu (G Gundam) > All other Gundam characters.
You take that back!! j/k. I dunno, Domon seems like he's always teetering on being cool or a borderline ass! Yeah, he sure as hell can fight...but damn, he's brimming with arrogance.

- Max Fleischer's Superman

Are these the really old ones? If they're the ones that I'm thinking of, then I remember them having really good quality animation. I think one episode had a bullet plane and another had money stealing robots controlled by a crazy scientist. Not sure, let me know if I'm thinking of the right series.

- Gargoyles

Ah, I concede my oversight. This was probably one of the best series Disney ever put out. Alot darker than their other stuff and a string of excellent villans to boot.

- Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets

Holy crap! Is this what I think it is? Those people in the bird suits, right!? I can't believe you remember that! But I thought it had another name...G something.

- See ya!

Originally posted by Zaksund

- Max Fleischer's Superman

Are these the really old ones? If they're the ones that I'm thinking of, then I remember them having really good quality animation. I think one episode had a bullet plane and another had money stealing robots controlled by a crazy scientist. Not sure, let me know if I'm thinking of the right series.
Yeah, that's the one. Incidentally, I suspect that the "mad scientist" character is largely inspired by one of my favorite scientists, Nikola Tesla.

Originally posted by Zaksund@Sat, 2005-09-03 @ 01:03 AM

- Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets

Holy crap! Is this what I think it is? Those people in the bird suits, right!? I can't believe you remember that! But I thought it had another name...G something.

That's the one. I think there was another dub/edit for the US called G-Force, but it I don't think it made it to Oz.

Star Blazers (Space Battleship Yamato) and the original series of Astroboy are also up there for me. :)

1) Sonic SATam - bar sonic 2 on the Mega Drive, this cartoon got me hooked on Sonic, this, unlike so many other cartoons, had a story, it was an adventure rather than pathetic toilet humour

2) Robotech - I had a VHS tape of this when i was a kid, I didn't remember much, just very cool transforming airplanes. The VHS tape kinda went through the whole Macross sereis in an hour. Again, i probs remembered this one because it had a storyline and kept you hooked. Only remembered the name "Robotech" when reading a games review magazine and saw it there :p was bugging me for YEARS, finally bought it and still love watching it :D

3) Gunslinger Girl - I started watching this about the time I bought Akira, Akira was sitting on the self for about 2 months while i watched this week after week :p Loved this series though, weird to say the least, plenty of action yet makes you think alot.

4) MASK - Again another cartoon which I never rememberd the name of, despite watching a VHS tape of it over and over again when I was a kid. That red flying car :auto was the defination of cool! Since I've only known its name for a week, I'm still in the process of finding a site to buy the DVD collection from (can anyone help with this?), to relive my childhood.

5) Futurama - What can I say? Just Fantastic.

Nobody's put Gargoyles at #1 yet?!?

My personal fave list, of only shows that were made for the USA:

5. Thundercats

4. Pinky & the Brain

3. Transformers (generation 1, seasons 2 and 3)

2. Batman: TAS (and all following variations of the title)

1. Gargoyles

Now, that's my personal faves, not necessarily the ones I think are best-of-all-time. All-time you HAVE to include ones like The Simpsons and Looney Toons and the old Disney cartoons. Throw in Japanese anime, and Tenchi Universe would be up top somewhere along with Love Hina. (I'm not a big fan of mecha anime, and most of my favorite anime from Japan is of the feature film variety.)

No particular order:

Invader Zim

Transformers (original)

Justice League Unlimited (and I don't like DC!)

Batman TAS

Spider-man and Friends (with Iceman and Firestar)

You take that back!! j/k. I dunno, Domon seems like he's always teetering on being cool or a borderline ass! Yeah, he sure as hell can fight...but damn, he's brimming with arrogance.

Haha.

The reason why I love Domon is simply because he is exactly like me in everyway. :D

As for my Top 5:

1. Gundam (Basically any and all. Can't really narrow it down).

2. Sailor Moon (Got me into Anime. Sailor Moon completely controlled my life in every aspect for about three years).

3. Batman: The Animated Series

4. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

5. Can't think of a fifth one.

Excellent choice by Vertigo though. Tenchi Universe is great.

I'm a bit surprised no one's mentioned Macross yet. :blink: :eek:

rockos modern life

doug(the one on nick not the newer abc ones)

cloud can you actually fight? i dont know i've seen your pics just sizing you up you dont look like you'd be much of a fighter.

My favorites:

Doug!

What's a neematoad?

I used to love Eek the Cat back in the day.

Tom and Jerry- especially those featuring spike or the ugly duckling.

Goofy 'how to' cartoons.

The X-Men cartoons that used to air on FOX Saturday Mornings.

Capain Bucky O Hare

Thundercats

Beetlejuice

Adventures of Sonic The hedgehog (Scratch grounder one)

Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon ( The more darker one)

Back