A 4-in-1 that's not Action Replay

Physically impossible.

Certainly not impossible, but I can't say I think it'd be worth the trouble. It's also possible to mod it so that A-bus dummy reads return the RAM cart ID without any RAM actually being there, but that would probably result in at least some graphical corruption (the program would probably still run because developers were forbidden from storing code in expansion RAM, and all the important data is most likely in H work RAM for the same reason).

Yes, replacing the RAMs is physically possible, but it is useless. The Saturn will never use more than what it has by default. You'd have to rework the BIOS to extend the memory address range, and you'd have to write your code specifically for the extra RAM. All current Saturn games would still only use the basic configuration, no matter what you do, though.

I was thinking of just putting hardware equivalent to a RAM cart inside the Saturn. Electrically it would be no different than having the cart plugged in. There'd need to be some kind of disable mechanism if you ever wanted to use the cart slot (which is why I said I didn't think it would be worth it), but possibly this could be done automagically by isolating one of the supply pins on the Saturn board, pulling it up/down, and connecting it to a transistor that cuts off the internal RAM power if the pin isn't floating, on the assumption that any reasonable cart will connect them all to power planes. Of course, this is just theory...

I ordered over 80 of these Satelite 4in1 cards at lik sang and sold them at ebay.

I got cheap white cartridges every time and i tested them with Dungeons&Dragons Collection (which requires a 4mb RAM Expansion) and it doesn't work with this card.

I don't think it has a 1mb expansion either, but i don't have a game to test this.

Better look out for a real Action Replay 4in1.

Ok guys I gotta clarify something here...

You may see an internet link on that 'Satallite 4in1' page to a FAQ telling you about the cart. I wrote that FAQ. (It's actually at Version 2 now, Lik-Sang's is old).

I've been getting numerous emails about this because of this...

Dispite Lik-Sang putting my FAQ on there in reference to that cart, my FAQ is completely unrelated to this cart, and in fact refers to the Action Replay Plus 4M Auto. It seems some people have bought this cart, after seeing my FAQ on there, and were disappointed when they found there was no RAM expansion,

In fact, one guy emailed me saying when he complained to Lik-Sang about them mislabelling it as a 4in1 and using my FAQ as a reference, they replied saying it was a real 4in1, and even used quotes from my FAQ to boost their arguement.

I'm beginning to look like the bad guy here because of this. I highly suspect the mix-up here between the different cartridges was unintentional, but I don't really like the fact my FAQ being used as 'evidence', when the cart is clearly not a 4in1, but current accepted meaning of the term. So people end up feeling ripped off, because of what is most likely just a mix-up on Lik-Sang's part. The problem only came because Lik-Sang until recently stuck to their guns about it being a real 4in1 and refused refunds. I think they've realised the mistake now though becaue they have now noted on the page that it has no RAM expansion capabilty.

So anyway, dispite the link to my FAQ, this cart is not a 4in1, and is not the cart refered to in my FAQ.

This is in no way a critisism of Lik-Sang, I'm sure it's all just a big mix-up. I just felt this needed to be clarified.

Cheers.

I doubt it was intentional.

I really think the people at Lik-Sang haven't a clue about what they talk about sometimes.

just a little question, do you think that "Satellite 4in1Card" can be connected to a commlink card ? It seem there is a port on it but there is no mention about this feature.

They use the same casting mold for all of those products, so if you see a commlink port, it probably is just solid plastic.

Back