A ? about Sega game guns & the 3DO..

I happen to own all 4 of the guns (Menacer, Justifier [pink&blue], and an orange Sega CD ALG revolver) all bought off eBay over the years. But the pink Konami & ALG gun are sealed in the box.. and that's where they'll stay.. unless..

Which leads me to my own question.. but I don't think anyone can answer it because if my ALG gun IS as rare as some have told me (it certainly wasn't a couple of years back when I bought it on eBay); probably no one knows.

Anyway.. here goes..

Everybody is probably familiar with the absolutely STUPID exhorbanent prices that the "sharks" ask for the 3DO version of the Orange ALG gun on eBay. They often go for close to $100 or more. Waht gets me is that the idiots always clain how "rare" they are.. when in fact they're really not (kinda' like original Snatcher CDs on eBay as well [Yup.. got one]). Usually.. at any given time you will find 2 or 3 a week for sale there with idiotic opening bid prices or NO reserve because the sellers always know they'll make a mint off them.

I've been trying to "score" one for quite some time.. but refuse to pay that kind of money for one.

Years back.. when BOTH ALG guns were A LOT more prevalent.. I swear I DID remember seeing a version of the ALG gun (either SegaCD or 3DO.. I'm sure it was the SegaCD model) that sported a sticker on the outside of the box claiming that the SCD gun would work on a 3DO as well (or vice versa). Ther's no such sticker on my box.. but I swear I've seen them.

If you look at a 3DO controller port and the Sega Genesis' they are EXACTLY the same shape and pin count/paterrn. Has anybody ever heard of this?

If some body can confirm this works (seriously too though.. please don't be mean).. I would gladly rip that puppy out.. buy some cheap-a**ed ALG games for the 3DO; and play them.. since I'm pretty sure the games looked and played better on a 3DO as compared to SegaCD (Which is why anybody who is into the ALG gun games ALWAYS wants them on a 3DO.. or so I've heard.).

Thanks to all for your time and attention.

BTW-I've searched endlessly on the web/BBs/forums about this but never found an answer. I may just have to wait until someone puts up another one of these "factory-sealed" guns on eBay.. which may be never.

Well, if the pinouts are exactly the same, wouldn't a regular old Genesis controller work on a 3DO too? It probably won't without some adapter, I figure.

In any case, the ALG, those were the American Lightgun games like Who Shoot Johnny Rock? and Mad Dog McCree right?

Originally posted by crystalmethod@Jan. 03 2003, 3:03 pm

Well, if the pinouts are exactly the same, wouldn't a regular old Genesis controller work on a 3DO too? It probably won't without some adapter, I figure.

In any case, the ALG, those were the American Lightgun games like Who Shoot Johnny Rock? and Mad Dog McCree right?

Hmmm.. there's an idea.. I have lots of Genesis controllers lying around.. I'll try them.

Yes.. those were the ALG games. I have some of them for the Sega CD (never played them though); but if you check the prices of the same games and gun, but for 3DO on eBay.. you'll notice the games are still reasonable.. but the gun is VERY expensive! Anyway.. I've heard that the 3DO WAS the best platform (both hardware-wise and play-wise) for these games. Which is why everyone who is a big fan of these games wants that gun and that console to play them on.

Back