Action Replay 4M Plus Fix/Mod Q

FINALLY got around to getting myself a 4M+, and I'm not quite sure if I need the mod...

It seems to work fine with 1M games; Metal Slug boots fine, and Pocket Fighter prompts and boots fine.

Yet EVERY 4M game I try doesn't work. D&D2, SFZ3, XMvSF... no go. Even Pocket Fighter, which detects the cart, won't let me switch 1M/4M in the menu (I think that's what the option is there for...)

The board matches that pictured at NCSX. No cut trace, no wire; just as pictured.

The question being, is the mod needed? JUST now got the cart; I guess it could be an old model, sure... - and most things I've read mention that it doesn't work with any 4M games released AFTER XMvSF... XMvSF also not working for me.

TIA, just sort of unclear. Guess I could try it anyway, but figured I'd get input first.

- V

The modification of the AR+ cartridge is only necessary for Vampire Savior, on the first versions of the AR+.

The second versions of the AR+ are already modified.

Maybe your AR+ has a problem with its 4Meg part...

You should ask replacement from the store.

Originally posted by Satwebmaster33@Oct 1, 2003 @ 10:23 PM

The modification of the AR+ cartridge is only necessary for Vampire Savior, on the first versions of the AR+.

Wrong!

The modification is required for _EVERY_ game that came out after X-MEN vs SF.. actually the first game that came after xmenVSsf was Vampire Savior, that's why the mod it is often referred as "The Vampire Savior Mod" ...

Older 4in1 run XMen VS SF.

Definitely not modded as far as I can tell; the trace isn't cut, and there's no wire, and the 2 wrong points DO seem connected via the trace...

Eep, just tried XMvSF, and it works fine. And now I remember it working fine when I tried it before. Guess my mind played a trick on me with the REST of the 4M games not working.

Guess that's settled then; mod time =)

Thanks guys!

Did you purchase the 4in1 from me?

I have seen mentioned newer 4in1s already have the mod done, anyone confirm.

The manufacturer has told me they have sent the newest 4in1 to me but I have yet to confirm. It's possible they are simply dumping older stock on me.

So anyone has anyone else had problems saving to the 4 meg action replay plus cartridge? Because I can't save anything to it. Its not modded yet and my saturn's battery is dead. Any ideas why it doesn't save?

Instead of making a new topic I'll just add to this because it 'may' be related. (?)

Yep janda, it was from you.

No troubles, but yeah, might wanna say something if they're flat lying to you =)

- V

Edit: eep, the pre-modded ones came from NCSX - seems they just did it themselves; I'd be willing to bet EMS still manufactures them this way.

So anyone has anyone else had problems saving to the 4 meg action replay plus cartridge? Because I can't save anything to it. Its not modded yet and my saturn's battery is dead. Any ideas why it doesn't save?

You can't save to it in-game, if that's what you're trying to do. You have to save to the internal RAM, then reset and copy the save to the cart in the AR menu, as the AR4M Plus isn't Power Memory-compatible (there are several technical reasons for this, particularly it's tricky to have the same cart emulate Power Memory and be a RAM expansion cart).

Edit: eep, the pre-modded ones came from NCSX - seems they just did it themselves; I'd be willing to bet EMS still manufactures them this way.

Mine works with post-VS games (sort of; I get memory corruption on SFZ3, but that's unrelated to the mod) and isn't modded; it may be that EMS is selling some "new old stock" though.

Didn't work at all with SFZ3 here; flat out gave the ram error.

Board was as pictured on NCSX, modded and it works beautifully.

So yeah, if these are recent acquisations of janda's, could be old stock, with yours working-as-planned.

- V

My AR4M+ came with the board tracks matching the end result of the mod, so i guess there is a new version of PCB that does not need modding ? All the 4M and 1M games work fine with it, and the anti-region lockout bit works fine too.

My problem is that whenever I try to swap save files or enter cheats, everything goes smoothly until i press to exit and save, wherupon the damn thing locks up!!! If I reset the console, sometimes the saves have actually made it to the cart, sometimes not.

How long should it take between pressing and returning to the previous menu ? I have left mine for like 5mins before after entering a cheat code, and it still appeared to be frozen ?

Have I been gimped with a dodgy card ?????? :bs

I recently bought an AR4M+ and the circuit board inside looks like the one on the NCS site..... in the picture where they say "we have drawn in a green line to indicate the points to be joined" I actually HAVE a green circuit trace connecting these two points, and no trace to the point that they say you have to cut at point x.

So on my card, the two points which they say need to be cut are not joined by the circuit, but the points they say need to be joined already are :huh

So it looks like they changed the PCB themselves in a later model ?? :huh:

Just to check, we are talkin about the EMS AR4M+ aren't we ??? :damn:

PS/....

Sorry for double posting and repeating myself...... forgot I'd already posted here :wanker

Back