Action Replay, Gameshark, or ARPlus?

/*Note - if this is the incorrect part of the forum to post this message in, please let me know! I've not wish to clog the wrong forum with unwanted messages*/

I just picked up a used Saturn for my kids (I've told them about playing it so much, they finally challenged me!) and find that I'm w-a-y outta touch with the market. There's a lot that happened since it came and went... so I'm playing catch-up.

I have two specific questions for the moment.

The cheat cartridges interest me, but other than the specific features they claim to make, are there are comments or advice you'd direct my way about "avoid this one" or "get one of *those*"? Does any one stand out in the crowd?

I'm also ignorant of the mod chip... haven't seen a reference yet that points out what it's for. Is there a post that explains them?

And for a third question... if anyone's selling an unused or spare of these, let me know. I've followed the threads on hot deals and found the online dealers, but I'm willing to pick up the things I need once I know what they are!

Thanks,

yojimbo

The cartridge you want is this one. Some batches require a small hardware fix for the 4MB RAM expansion to work, otherwise it offers everything except saving to the cartridge from within games (you have to go through the cartridge's menu to move saves back and forth).

otherwise Saturn wouldn't recognise it as import cart but direct save cart...

It's RAM cart vs. direct-save cart; I don't think Sega established a cart ID for carts that bypass their protection. ;)

Incidentally, I've got a sneaking suspicion that it's possible to make an AR into a direct-save cart of sorts, but that relies on a not-trivial amount of coding and a series of untested hypotheses. :ph34r:

Ahhh, thank you, antime. This is one I had seen, and was unsure of. Now I know what I'm doing (until my next question comes up!)

Thanks again

yojimbo

Back