Again, the 60hz Problem

Hi there,

i solderered a switch between the two "pins" of JP1 and after i switch to 60 HZ the TV begins flickering and a high "sirring" noise comes out of the Saturn.

Well with my Model 2 Saturn there is no Problem to go into 60HZ. My TV is absolute compatible with this mode.

So what could it be. Is there anyone who can help?

So EMail me please.

regards to all

Drake007

Originally posted by Drake007@May 31, 2003 @ 06:30 AM

I solderered a switch between the two "pins" of JP1 and after i switch to 60 HZ the TV begins flickering and a high "sirring" noise comes out of the Saturn.

All I can say is that not all Saturns can be 60Hz modded that way.
sad.gif

If you've already got a model 2 Saturn running in 60Hz, what's the urgency to do the model 1?

I must say, I couldn't sucessfully mod a Model2 Saturn (damn, we should really use a better terminology than 'model 2' for obvious reasons...) to 60Hz either... so I'd say mal is right.

For reference, mine is PAL MK-80200A-50 with bios v1.01a.

Better terminology? Like what, Saturn Alpha and Saturn Beta? Well, that does sound cool, but they're already referred to pretty universally as model 1/2. But as mal said, perhaps the saturn simply doesn't wanna do it.

There are three models of Saturn, actually. Model 3 looks the same as Model 2, but the controller headers are on the same PCB as the system board.

Oh, and of course we have that one chip on the CD-ROM drive board... you know, the one you have to solder the mod chip to... whatever it's called.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jun 9, 2003 @ 04:25 AM

There are three models of Saturn, actually. Model 3 looks the same as Model 2, but the controller headers are on the same PCB as the system board.

Could you elaborate on that?

I've got what I thought was a late model Saturn (with the Sanyo CD board) and a JVC CD board with the 32 pin IC (earlier model) slots right in.

Oh, and of course we have that one chip on the CD-ROM drive board... you know, the one you have to solder the mod chip to... whatever it's called.
tongue.gif

Actually there are at least five different types of model 2 CD board and possibly more.

Could you elaborate on that?

I've got what I thought was a late model Saturn (with the Sanyo CD board) and a JVC CD board with the 32 pin IC (earlier model) slots right in.

Are the controller ports on the system circuit board, or connected via a short ribbon cable?

Originally posted by Tagrineth@Jun 9, 2003 @ 09:40 AM

Are the controller ports on the system circuit board, or connected via a short ribbon cable?

Don't worry about me, I'm just being dumb. I now see what you mean.
rolleyes.gif

Using that logic, Saturns with the 64 pin IC are model 2 and those with either the 32 pin IC or the Sanyo CD board are model 3. The main boards are similar, yet still quite different.

However, I believe there are two revisions (maybe more) of the mainboard that have the controller ports on the main board rather than on a sub board.

Back