Originally posted by jim993@April 26 2002,22:58

So what do you think of agnostics?

Why don't you state your opinion first, might actually ispire people to care
tongue.gif

Noun: agnostic

1. A person who doubts truth of religion

Adjective: agnostic

1. Uncertain of all claims to knowledge

If you mean the noun: I think the most religious of people are those that have the insight (and perhaps balls) to question their own faith.

As for the adjective: I would pass that as a sign of intelligence for some, cockiness for others.

(*lol* Soldermonkey)

I generally consider myself to be agnostic. I was not raised with a religion, and have seen many religions with conflicting beliefs, but nothing that compels me to think that any one of them is better or closer to the truth than the others. Likewise, I don't hold human knowledge and perception in such high regard that I believe that we can necessarily even comprehend the nature of a higher power, let alone disprove the existence of one. I don't reject the validity of religion in general; it seems clear to me that many people benefit from their belief. However, I don't think that I can honestly believe when nothing draws me to any particular religion.

Being brought up as Catholic in a European family, the though of questioning your religion was thought to be absurd! Then I entered High School (a Catholic one, no less) and suddenly I viewed the Catholic church in a new light. And not to put down any Catholics, (seeing as how I am one) but the Catholic church is truly nothing more then mythology. IMO, a thousand years from now, society will view Catholicism (and possibly all Western religions) as a form of Mythology, just as we do now with Roman and Greek mythology. In any case, some of the moves that the Catholic church made suring the middle ages, such as not allowing anyone to read the bible except clergy, smells of pure brainwashing. In short, I view Western religion as a set of stories designed to control society at it's time, hence the extreme inability for these religions to connect with people today. Sorry, I just needed to vent a little. and I apoligize to anyone I may have upset with my comments, these are my views and I believe I am entitled to them.

l would assume that many of those who make negative comments about religion are talking strictly about the more than 1500 religions in the west that claim to be christian, an interesting word that means christ-like, and not from any in depth study of the bible itself, something that is generally discouraged by many religions. No small wonder when the vast majority of doctrine and the actions of clergy and laity would inspire the same kind of comments as those above. An actual study of the bible, including reference material on kione greek, hebrew and aramaic, the three languages the bible was written in, including an emphatic diaglot and an interlinear translation, which show the literal meaning of the original words, shows just how far most so called christian religions are from the original intent of the bible writers.

I am in full agreement with the above comments as far as they have to do with the utter failure of religions. I am though, not ready to turn my back on the bible as yet. I've done my time studying it. The only thing that burns me are those who make comments that come from repeating only what thay have heard others say or what is popular in our culture these days. They are misinformed idiots with no mind of their own, too lazy to do their own research and are more interested in appearing, if you will excuse the old term, "hip". I have no time for them other then to share any info., with references so you can check for yourself, if asked sincerly, with real interest.

see the only ppl that stick by the whole bibel are catholics. mormons and jehovahs are wierd cults
biggrin.gif
. and nothing against them but the last jehovah to be admitted into to heaven was in 1937 so there is no more heaven for them its just a money scam. and mormons don't get me started on them. i am roman catholic but i view all religions openly and they are all based more or less on the same things they are just dressed up differently. jew's are almost the same as catholics just they don't use the bibel and catholics do. arabs almost believe in the same thing as the two above. religion is a way to explain the unexplainable, is a way to keep the peace well sorta, and it gives us something to look foreward to when we die.

I don't like religion. I dont like it because it seperates people. when you stop realizing that everyone is human then your religion has failed. we're all the same we should all treat each other the same. (i have to stop writing things when my brain isn't fully functioning eh what ever)

i dunno man, i was talking with my priest about that and he says everyone no matter what faith or belief system goes to hell or heaven. if you stick by what you believe in then you get in sorta defacto. so its like everyone has there chance for heaven. except KKK and there type cuz they are just bad ppl.

I believe that most forms of organised religion are fundamentally about brainwashing the masses and making a profit for those at the top. As a youngster I used to attend a methodist church and I saw things go on there that made me vow never to have anything to do with such a bunch of hypocrites again. I would like someone to explain this to me though: If it is harder or a camel to pass through the eye of a needle, why then are all clergymen well off? At least that is the case here.

I do know several Christians personally, and it seems to me that their Christian goodwill only extends to other Christians, apart from occassional attempts to convert non-believers they treat you with what I would describe as a sneering contempt. Something of a closed circle it would seem.

As mentioned earlier, the very translation of the bible is flawed - any language when translated is open to a certain amount of interpretation, and I honestly believe that the content has been altered over the last 2000 years to suit the ends of those who use it to control people. Has anyone read Animal Farm?

At the end of the day though, that's just what I think, I'm not saying I'm right, and I'm not saying anyone else is wrong. If there is anything there, I'll find out one day, as will all of us.

I don't like religous threads since they never end. If you look at message boards like [H]ard forums you will see this debate over and over again without any side "winning" so to speak. I am a Christian. Not Catholic but Presbyterian. Alot of people make fun of me because of that but it does not bother me. I do not try and push my faith on anybody which I have seen Christians do and it's not right doing that. Those are my views. :boldyellow

Gamefoo21- Ummm-most catholic doctrines have no biblical origines, but are so called pagan beliefs, adopted by the church to appeal to new converts, ie people given the choice of death or conversion. You can see this for yourself in the Catholic encyclopedia where the church itself admits to this.

Segasonic- Take a look at the dead sea scrolls. they date from around 800 b.c. (thats almost 3000 yrs ago). Interestingly, they found that they only differences were punctuation. they found that they wording was surprisingly unchanged from modern translations other than where modern translations try to use an up to date form of english. this doesn't change the meaning but the translator may use different phrasing that essentiallly means the same thing.

The reason for the lack of difference in the old and the modern translation was that the ancient group or copiers called scribes were very careful how they copied texts. they not only made sure that the words were correct, but also then would count the total number of words and then the total number of letters to be very sure they were accurate.

In other words, stop repeating what you've heard, and start doing the studying yourself. What are you, a parrot? Also religion is about serving god, not following a man. Men have agendas and or are imperfect and make mistakes, even priests or ministers. That's why it is important to educate yourself and not believe everthing you "hear". How many times have you heard people express opinions about someone or something that have turned out to be very wrong?

By the way, the dead sea scrolls contain the oldest known copies of Isaiah, Song of Solomon (some very erotic poetry) and parts of Jeremiah if memory serves.

Originally posted by ExCyber@April 27 2002,07:33

I generally consider myself to be agnostic. I was not raised with a religion, and have seen many religions with conflicting beliefs, but nothing that compels me to think that any one of them is better or closer to the truth than the others. Likewise, I don't hold human knowledge and perception in such high regard that I believe that we can necessarily even comprehend the nature of a higher power, let alone disprove the existence of one. I don't reject the validity of religion in general; it seems clear to me that many people benefit from their belief. However, I don't think that I can honestly believe when nothing draws me to any particular religion.

I could say more, but ExCyber said it so well.

Back