AGP Aperture Size, 3dfx, etc.

As some of you know, I recently got a new Geforce4 Ti4200 128 MB card. I upgraded from my 3dfx Voodoo3 3000 card. Recently I've been having a number of problems that I think are related to my new card. I did quite a bit of research, am trying out different driver versions etc. Things seem to be okay for the most part, but I've seen some instability in games like Medal of Honor.

Two questions I have in my quest for understanding what the hell I'm doing.

1) According to the BFG Tech FAQ ( http://www.bfgtech.com/faq.html ) problems can arise when upgrading to a Geforce from a Voodoo card. Namely old drivers still existing causing problems. Although everything ran, since I updated my GF4 drivers I've seen some increased issues (I'm hoping this is the problem, anyway).

I followed the directions I found ( http://planetkyro2.slackercentral.com/arti...stallvoodoo.php ) to uninstall the drivers and clean the registry. Is this a sufficient process to rid my computer of anything 3dfx related?

2) AGP Aperture Size - what is it? From what I can tell the settings in BIOS allow allocation of xxxMB of RAM to assist what's already on the card (in my case, 128). I've read limited articles on the subject and nothing really had an answer that I was satisfied with. Currently my BIOS has this set to 32 MB. Should I increase this? If so, to what? 128? 256? I have 640 MB of RAM installed currently. Last, can changing this cause any issues with anything else? My MSI mainboard manual says something about PCI memory and blah blah. I don't know what that all means. I did change the setting to 128MB and upon reboot my speakers emitted a *very* loud and annoying feedback (which I later determined to be the fault of my microphone). Then Windows crashed. I reset back to 32MB and powered down. The problem went away. Not sure what caused it, not sure what cured it.

Anything else I should know? Any advice for me from fellow Geforce card owners? Driver information? Someone suggested I go way back to some older drivers--28.32. I backed up to the most recent WHQL certified drivers--30.82. Everything after that is pending or a "candidate." Not sure what either of those mean.

Again, sorry for the long post. I don't normally make a habit out of learning about things, like video cards, until I have to. I've learned much, but if anyone has anything that might help me I would appreciate it.

I have this rule I always follow. Whenever I do a major upgrade to my pc (changing a vid card would be that) I completely reinstall windows and everything else. This guarantees that old drivers or other issues don't affect the new hardware. Some times new hardware needs other drivers to be configure in some way to work properly, this of course does not get changed if you just install a new card without changing anything else.

Also try reinstalling DirectX...the setup for that sometimes adds extra stuff or different files depending on what hardware you have. So it can take advantage of that specific cards features.

Did the 3DFx had and uninstall option? This might work
tongue.gif

Stick with the nvidia 30.82 drivers, though I think they have updated.

You can check your BIOSs for this, according to my experience:

AGP aperture size (I think this affects performance just for applications which use this): 256MB

VGA pallette snoop: disabled

any cache related to video: disabled

anything you can put to auto: auto :
wink.gif
: (maybe your PC has the answer)

AGP fastwrites: on (just for performance; try off for compatibility)

AGP sidebanding: off (though I think this applies only to mx cards)

primary display: AGP (!)

Back