All Inclusive Emulator

mtxblau

Mid Boss
I was curious, does an all inclusive emulator exist? ie, SNES, NES, Genesis, etc. etc...

I've noticed that most of these emulators are just exes only (Gens, JNes)... if a frontend were created and simply used other libraries/add-ons (dlls), I'm sure this would be feasible, right? Correct me if I'm wrong...

I think DarkNES supported like 15 systems irregardles of the NES in its name
tongue.gif

I just looked it up, and it seems to support only four (but the info could be outdated)... PC Engine, Amiga, GG and Master System.

But yes, that's the general idea I'm referring to.

MESS is a computer/console emulator based on the MAME architecture with roughly this goal. AFAIK it has drivers for something like 100+ different systems (that number includes model variants, and not all of the drivers actually work) Unfortunately its accuracy is not that spectacular, but that will only improve with time.

Having looked at it, it's as though there's no rhyme or reason as to why this thing emulates as many things as it does. Famicom? TI-85? Apple IIc? Jeez. Not to take away from it's accomplishments, of course...

While we're on the subject, perhaps the next revision of Gens should have Game Gear/Master System emulation. Might as well go all the way, right?

I don't really follow the emulation scene, but what is the possibility of having the person on Gens working w/ the person on ZSnes (or whatever, I don't play the SNES)? I think a Linux like mass gathering of developers could get together to work on something like this.

Back