Am I the only one who doesn't dig Zelda?

racketboy

Established Member
I just can't seem to get into Zelda games.
Am I the only one.

I beat the first Game Boy one. It was pretty entertaining, but was a bit frustrating at times.

I own the SNES port on GBA. I've played though the beginning, but am already getting bored/frustrated. I'm kinda stuck trying to find those heart pieces. I looked through a GameFaqs walkthrough and it isn't a huge help. Nor does it seem to make me enthusiatic about playing though it.

I'm really thinking about selling the game and losing money on it because I just can't get myself to pick it up to play even though everybody says how great a game it it.

Can anyone help me out here?

CrazyGoon to the rescue! Although I'm not a 'die-hard' Zelda fan, I do know that most of the games heart and soul lies in the dungeons ;). But that's a good thing that I'm not die-hard about the series, because that will mean I'm slightly less biased when I give you my opinions :p

Let me start by telling you what people expect of a Zelda game - They expect action, and they expect adventure. Zelda delivers both elements with slaying a multitude of varying enemies using many weapons at your desposal (action), aswell as the common puzzles (usually in the dungeons) where you have to stop, think and explore (adventure).

This is the kind of game where if you get stuck you tend to get frustrated (as you have pointed out), and many tend to look for walkthroughs to solve their problem. In most cases it will help you get past the troublesome areas, and you'll think "Boy, that wasn't so hard after all", because in reality, puzzles aren't made that hard. The reason why I don't recommend using walkthroughs is because you will breeze through the game (the puzzles are supposed to slow you down ;)) and the enjoyment of the game will be over. Over too soon. Specially with games which are comprised mostly of puzzles (Adventure games), the replay value will significantly decrease after using a walkthrough to pass a game. But since Zelda is and Action/ Adventure, only half of the game is comprised of puzzles. You will still loose some replay value if you use walkthroughs for Zelda, but not as much as an Adventure game.

My advice is to leave the game. Stop playing it. If you can't get past the puzzle, then your doing the same thing wrong everytime you go to play it (basically). If you leave the game, play another game, and sometime later on down the track, you come back to the game, and you will have (hopefully) a different approach to solving the puzzle. Hopefully, something will 'click' and you will say "Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! That's what I had to do :eek: ". And as your reward for completing the game, you can bathe in the complete satisfaction of passing the game 'on your own', without someone else 'telling you what to do' ;)

And unless you want to spend a significantly longer time playing the game, then refrain from collecting all the heart bits. You can always search for them when you have finished or are near the end of the game. This way, you won't get 'bogged down' on finding heart peices (in which some are a lot harder to find compared to solving a dungeon puzzle), and concentrate on passing the dungeons. More tips - your average "Talk to everybody and listen to what they have to say" hint, because many of the villagers have stuff to tell you (in regards to finding items, solving puzzles, or defeating bosses). Same applies to reading signs (not all of them say "Welcome to [location]". ;)

Have fun! :medieval:

Lots of good advice by Crazygoon.

Actually it's interesting you brought this up. On the walkthrough/hint book aspect, they do tend to take away a lot of satisfaction from a Zelda game. I faintly remember when I was stuck in some dungeon in the first game, I looked one of my NintendoPower magazines which happened to have a detailed map of that dungeon in it. Yes, after you realize how simple it was you feel relieved and dissatisfied, but I can't think of any other game that I just gave up on for weeks, months on end because I couldn't solve a puzzle.

One thing that's helped me with any of the puzzles in the Zelda series, is have another person watch you struggle at the point where you're stuck. Two heads are better than one (usually), and that stays true with any Zelda game.

I'll be cliche here and say that the Zelda series is sort of like a fine wine, you either have the taste for it, or you can't see why others like it.

ditto atari. Well, i wouldnt say the ONLY RPG, but pretty close to it. I dont really like traditional RPGs, but action-adventure games are awesome, and I like turn based strategies that are sometimes called strategy rpgs.

kinda back on topic: I'm hearing that Beyond good and evil is fairly similar to zelda games (a lot of people say its better than wind waker) and the story is amazing. I'm thinking of getting it, anyone played it?

see I'm more of a traditional japanese RPG fan (Golden Sun, Skies of Arcadia, Grandia 2, Suikoden).

Never thought I would be -- they always looked boring. Once I played Pokemon Yellow, I was hooked.

I'm renting Beyond Good and Evil soon, it's on my list of games to try, but I've never heard it was like Zelda.

There are some traditional RPGs I like, but lots of them I just can't bring myself to play, they're all so similar I find that one or two is enough. I tried playing the original Fire Emblem, but didn't get too far. I go back to play the original Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy once in a few years. Destiny of an Emperor I liked very much, but I found it to be very repetitive and it seemed like it would've been great on newer technology, it had lots of potential.

In my opinion, the best RPGs were on the 16bit systems. For some reason, that's the way it seemed, and still seems to me. Not to complicated, not to short and simple, the 16bit RPGs were perfect.

Back on topic, uh, nevermind. ;)

Weird thing about Beyond Good & Evil is that it has massive borders on the top and bottom (like we normally get with 50hz), as some sort of enforced widescreen mode. Maybe someone thought it'd make it look more cinematic or something.

Quite irritating.

i like widescreen games. In fact I was playing half life online (the action half life mod, if anyone is into that kinda stuff) in widescreen mode and it was tremendously sweet. either way, i ended up buying the prince of persia/ splinter cell bundle so i wont be getting beyond good and evil just yet.

You can actually pick up Beyond Good and Evil for $29.99 *Canadian* now. Really nice looking game. Didn't even nothice that border thingy. Almost done Zelda now...yay :)

u ever tried the 3d zeldas racket? they are way fun...I reccomend playing OOT....it's the best one. Then I would suggest WW, then MM. OOT got me soooo hooked it was insane...GREAT game and provoked sumthing out of me that no other game has yet to do again....just the atmosphere and stuff of the game was insane. I dunno why but it just struck me as insanely epic. Hopefully it'll do the same to you :).

nope I haven't

maybe I'll try Ocarina. I have my cousin's N64 and game in my possesion to sell. Maybe if I find some time, I'll give it a whirl.

Bah! Either way, start w/ OOT. It's the best and if any gets u into the series, it'll be that one. Play through the whole thing, and if u say u hate/dislike it, then so be it. I highly doubt you will say either though.

Back