American JVC X'Eye system different revision boards & missing parts fix

Please take a LOOK at some Sega Genesis custom mods at the bottom of this page!

Excellent tutorial.

Just a few questions. Why do you connect pin 1 (audio) and pin 6 (audio right) together? Is pin 1 mono-audio, and if so, wouldn't that break the stereo?

Second, you said there's a blue, green, and red pins. Does that mean the X'eye supports component video output?

Hello!

The main reason of why those pins need to be connected is because there are 2 types of Audio/Video cables made by Sega,the Stereo MK-1635 and the Mono MK-1634 which is was the one that Sega originally included in the bundle with the 32X and most common to find.Un-like the Sega Genesis version 1,the Sega model 2 can truely output stereo right off the the 8 mini pin connector just like the JVC X'eye system can.By connecting these pins you are able to regain full access to the MK-1635 and MK-1634 cables.Otherwise the mono cable will not work.It Should not affect Stereo at all.Pin 1 is Mono Audio and pin 6 is a derivated of L/R Audio...I got this idea from a Sega Genesis model 3(the smallest made by Majesco).The 8 mini pin connector in some revisions of the late Genesis 3 do not have stereo and pins 1 and 6 are linked together in case you are to use any of the MK-A/V cables.....In the Sega 2,sega CDX,Sega 32X,Genesis 3 and JVC X'eye system acording to my review,pins 9,4 an 3 are the RGB output lines...Please don't confuse it,RGB is not component video at all...But component can be taken out from RGB...Thats another story!

Hello!

The main reason of why those pins need to be connected is because there are 2 types of Audio/Video cables made by Sega,the Stereo MK-1635 and the Mono MK-1634 which it was the one that Sega originally included in the bundle with the 32X and most common to find.Believe it or not,these 2 cables have different pins positions in their connectors.Un-like the Sega Genesis version 1,the Sega model 2 can truely output stereo right off the the 9 mini pin connector just like the JVC X'eye system can.By connecting these pins you are able to regain full access to the MK-1635 and MK-1634 cables.Otherwise the mono cable will not work.It Should not affect Stereo at all.Pin 1 is Mono Audio and pin 6 is a derivated of L/R Audio...I got this idea from a Sega Genesis model 3(the smallest made by Majesco).The 9 mini pin connector in some revisions of the late Genesis 3 do not have stereo and pins 1 and 6 are linked together in case you are to use any of the MK-A/V cables.....In the Sega 2,sega CDX,Sega 32X,Genesis 3 and JVC X'eye system acording to my review,pins 9,4 an 3 are the RGB output lines...Please don't confuse it,RGB is not component video at all...But component can be taken out from RGB...Thats another story!

What's that funky master system adapter?

I think I remember reading about a game-genie style master system adapter that only only take the cartridges (didn't have the card slot), but I've never seen one. The powerbase converter (the UFO thing) is the only thing I have seen.

The only klunker in my sega stack is that in order to play master system, I have to remove the 32x, attack the powerbase converter, and then reconnect the A/V out from the 32x to the genny1din to genny2din convert (which is the bonus genny1 adapter cable that came with some 32xs).

The other option is to plug in the RF adater to the back of the genny 1, but then I have to go through my VCR to get to the projector. But unplugging the DIN adapter is no charm either (good tight connection), so either way is pretty much equal.

I wish there was some way to play master system without having to swap systems and cables. Of course other than using a dedicated master system... that's what I got the powerbase for :) I sold my two master systems at the Midwest Gaming Classic.

Also, reading your mod made me think that it might be easy to fix my genny2s that have the loose power adapter.

At least half the genny2s I come across have loose power adapter plugs. Any slight motion turns the machine on and off. Quite annoying in the middle of a game. Is it easy to find new power adapters to solder onto the board? They don't seem to have much of anyting at radio shack these days. What kind of electronics stores still exist that you can actually find stuff at?

The strange thing plugged into the Genesis model 2 is the Sega Master System Converter II MK-1621-50 Realeased only in Europe.By struck of luck I was able to get one last year. Since, these are rare now a days...Sega specially designed this converter to fit the Genesis 2/Megadrive model 2,but it was never realeased to the American Market...The Other converter is a Master System MarkIII converter,when I bought it,it was only the naked board and I decided to fit it into a Sega Genesis cartridge.Check it out!

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM4291.JPG

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM4292.JPG

I don't longer use the RF connection oR Composite because I upgraded all my systems to crystal clear s-video output .

As per request moved to general.

What's that other white cartridge plugged into the MarkIII converter? Looks like a coleco cart, but I assume it's an older MarkIII cart?

Is there an easy way to mod a Genesis/CD/32X combo to S-video?

Since the system has to pass-through the genesis video to the 32x, does that transfer use the extra pins so that it's getting pre-filtered video, or does it require the composite out? If you did an s-video mod to the genesis, would the 32x no longer accept it?

And then you've got to mod the 32x for s-video (assuming it's possible, have to search through the archives).

Do light-gun games still work with s-video output?

It would be interesting to compare direct S-video output to composite through my s-video powered converter. Even though theoretically, a Y/C-to-YUV-to-Y/C-to-TV conversion shouldn't be better than a Y/C-to-YUV-to-TV conversion, running composite through the powered s-video converter actually improves the picture quality noticeably (while, on the other hand, switching from a metal to a gold-plated connector has no noticable impact on video whatsoever). I assume it's just because the converter has powered amplifiers on the signal.

It's already interesting to compare the same games (games like Myst, Pebble beach golf, etc) on the 3DO (which has direct s-video output) and the Saturn (I don't have an s-video cable yet). Usually the Saturn has better color saturation and contrast, but the 3DO has better resolution and brightness.

That cartridge is the Sega Master Japanese Counter-part of the game Alex Kidd in the Miracle World.Same Rom,different style cartridge...

At this moment,no one has come up with an easy s-video mod for the 32X.But it can be done!...I have built a converter from scratch at a very expensive price and it works flawlessly...The funny part is that I built it inside a NES cartridge case for protection purpouses...TAKE A LOOK!...

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM4304.JPG

The performance of the Light-Guns,is not within the console systems,it depends on the TV that you are using.Some of them do not work in newer flat screen TV's.

When a Sega 32X is connected into a s-video modded Genesis system,you can still see parts of the game in s-video mode but,the boost of the 32X will be missing,for example:The Background is there in s-video,and the caracters are missing.

Check out my s-video modded Sega Saturn..

http://usera.imagecave.com/capcom2000/HPIM4309.JPG

I can tell you almost for sure that the 3DO s-video signals are a bit better than the Saturn.

Back