An XBox question.....

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
First of all, my XBox wont reconise ANY of my burnt music cds. Why is this?

second, can the XBox play mp3s right out of the box?

third, does a modded XBox play SVCDs?

Thanks all, appreciate it......

the xbox cant read many cdr try xbox scene for info on what cdrs work

no i dont think xbox can play mp3s you have to get a mod chip and use the evolution x software to play mp3s or vcds or what ever else that software is set up for

dont know about the svcd - but if you check out xbox scene you probbaly will find every answer to you questions check their forums too

i gues you didnt look close enough

i just looked -- cdrs canot be read by an xbox

The xbox is designed to read dvd media only or, multi layered media in general. Cd-r media is single layered, and therefore the laser is not sensitive enough to read cd-r media.

CDRW is single layer just the reflectance wavelength of the CDRW dye is much closer to DVD than CD-R is... so you can use CDRW

And for the record, the xbox has a hard time reading cd-rw as well.

as for the mp3 there is an xbox media player and it can play svcds but you need a mod chip for that to work

well mabey , mabey this would work

finding out what photo detector is in the machine and replacing it with a more sensitive one - aslong as it has the same specs

or finding out what lazer diode it is and replaceing with a higher power one - as long as the rest of the specs are the same

you could fiddle with the gain settings after figuring out the circuit

i have no proof any of this would work -- but there is probbaly pleanty of info already on the net about the xbox hardware which would eliminate a bunch of your reverse engineering before youtry something

or replaceing the whole dvd assembly with a new one that can read cdrs

dont try any of this - im just joking

personaly id just use cdrw why bother trying to mess with your xbox just to get it to read cdrs

Hrm...

I think it's best not to mess with your xbox if you don't know what you're doing. Fiddling with the laser can just kill it. Is that price enough for simply wanting to hear musics or mp3s?

Go to the Evox website and follow their instructions to ADD a PC-DVD Rom drive to your Xbox that way you can read all sorts of media.

And Evox WILL NOT play MP3's or SVCD's you need to get the Xbox media player, which i'm certain plays divx and vcd file formats but i'm still shakey on the details about SVCD.

Hope that helps

Go to the Evox website and follow their instructions to ADD a PC-DVD Rom drive to your Xbox that way you can read all sorts of media.

Yep, you can read all sorts of media... except for original Xbox discs. I imagine this is great if you're only interested in homebrew though.

Xbox will read audio cd's, I read up a few that someone said it doesnt. It will read original store bought music cd's, but not burnt ones.

The box will recognise cdr's and dvdr/w if the system is chipped.

The Xbox also does not play mp3's right out of the box, it plays the wma format AFTER you have copied a legit audio cd to the system as a soundtrack. I hope all this info helps.

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 14 2002, 5:55 pm

Xbox will read audio cd's, I read up a few that someone said it doesnt. It will read original store bought music cd's, but not burnt ones.

The box will recognise cdr's and dvdr/w if the system is chipped.

The Xbox also does not play mp3's right out of the box, it plays the wma format AFTER you have copied a legit audio cd to the system as a soundtrack. I hope all this info helps.

1.) It can read burnt CDs it's just very hard to find a brand that works, Prime Perhiples has worked on a number of Xbox's i have put them in, but some still don't read them
sad.gif

2.) If you chip the xbox, it doesn't increase your chances of the xbox recognizing the CD's it just allows unsigned code to be run. So copied games on CD's will work AS LONG AS the xbox can read the CD-R/RW otherwise it just won't recognize the disc.

3.) Correct

I would like to know what brands of cdr actually work within the xbox. I have all sorts of mix music cd's that i would love to put in as soundtracks for tony hawk. I see it this way we should compile a list.

Gigastorage: incompatible

Cursor: incompatible

Acer: Incompatible

Verbatim: Incompatible

I burned a bjork mix cd, and it worked on my friends X-Box. It was one of those generic cds i got from electronic fry's, the ones with out the labels. I couldn't find the reciept but someone should know what i'm talking about and the brand.

Memorex 700MB CD-RW = yes

Sony 650MB CD-RW = yes

Prime Perhiples 700MB CD-R = yes

Memorex 700MB CD-R = no

Fugi-Film 700MB CD-R = no

Sony 650MB CD-R = no

Digital Research 700MB CD-R = no

Verbatium Data Life Plus 700MB CD-R = no

Teon 700MB CD-R = no

It also matters what kind of DVD Drive is in your Xbox...

I have a tompson.

I guess its all a matter of you might have a box that is lucky enough to read a disc. Althoguh i think that MS should have let the system read ripped audio discs. I think that its good that the system wont read ripped data discs.

Back