An XBox question.....

My drive is a western digital I do believe, sumthin like that. pretty sure though. It will read Memorex CDRWs and has never once rejected a game.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov. 17 2002, 3:24 pm

My drive is a western digital I do believe, sumthin like that. pretty sure though. It will read Memorex CDRWs and has never once rejected a game.

Western Digital is the Hard Drive not the DVD Drive

You have a Thomson drive (same as me) you can look at my list and try things out, but arakon stated that even with the same drive manufacturer brands of media that work on one migh not work on another
sad.gif

Let me tell you though that if you do get a CD-R/RW to work, they load EXTREMELY SLOW and sometimes freeze up duing loadings, I recommend you either replace your Thomson drive with a PC DVD-ROM drive, or add one to your existing xbox.

Tutorials can be found for both at www.xbox-scene.com

the modchip allows unsigned code to be run, so if it's bruned onto a CD-R/RW that the xbox can read then it will work yes, but if the xbox can't read the disc then it won't load.

To test before you get a modchip burn muisc tracks onto a cd and see if the xbox picks it up in the CD-Player mode. If it does that brand of disc will work for backups/homebrew, if the xbox rejects it then it won't work for backups.

Even if a CD-R/RW works fine for playing muisc tracks, still expect loading times to be a bitch. Just try it and you'll see...

well give me money to get the chip installed. I can't do it myself and they charge an arm and a leg to do it for you. Any ppl in the US know how to mod XBoxes and could do mine w/o any probs?

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov. 17 2002, 9:09 pm

well give me money to get the chip installed. I can't do it myself and they charge an arm and a leg to do it for you. Any ppl in the US know how to mod XBoxes and could do mine w/o any probs?

Get the Matrix mod chip, no soldering required, I installed it and i'm an idiot.
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Supergrom@Nov. 17 2002, 9:56 pm

I have a question: Do modchips affect your ability to play xbox live at all? I'm somewhat interested in the emu possibilities of xbox, but im more interested in playing Halo 2 on xbox live in the long run, and so im not sure it will be worth my while to mod my xbox just to play a few emus (that could be played on pc) and then be screwed next christmas when halo 2 comes out.

If all you care is about emulation, why not just emulate on the PC? ???

the xbox mods let you play stuff from the hd anyway, so media isnt that much of an issue

if it is a problem with using the modded xbox with xbox live then there will almost definitely be switchable mods coming out, i think they might be already (just flip the switch one way for the mod, other way for normal xbox bios)

the matrix relies on presure to make the contacts - wich makes the mod suseptable to vibration - it may become loose when you move it around

there are switchable mods

id rather get an xecuter mod - its the same thing but you solder it to the board and comes with a bios - the matrix i belive does not

Originally posted by googlefest1@Nov. 18 2002, 3:42 pm

the matrix relies on presure to make the contacts - wich makes the mod suseptable to vibration - it may become loose when you move it around

there are switchable mods

id rather get an xecuter mod - its the same thing but you solder it to the board and comes with a bios - the matrix i belive does not

no it doesn't come with a bios, but finding them is like finding anything else on the internet, I've carried my Xbox back and forth to my friends house and to my computer many times and it has never slipped out of alignment yet.

As for storing games on the Hard drive, unless you plan on getting another later drive, don't expect to fit many Xbox games on the 8GB standard drive, Halo alone (with the demos ripped out) is over 2GB...

the xecuter alows for a larger HD

personaly i dont care about gettign a larger hd - seems toomuch of a hassle for me - i just want to beable to play dvd from all reigons VCDs and mp3s plus mame

Originally posted by Ratamahatta@Nov. 18 2002, 7:07 pm

How much does a Matrix chip go for anyways? and if there is no soldering required, where does the chip go?

$59 dollars plus shipping ($4.75??)

www.easybuy2000.com is the official reseller.

It uses pogo pins (sping loaded pins) that attach to the mobo in the same places as the xecuter does... You unscrew a screw on the mobo put in a spacer washer and place the chip on top, screw it back down, power up and test for alignment, once alignment is correct tighten the screw down and reassemble the xbox, easy as that.

the chips site is:

www.xodus-chip.com

Back