Another juicy problem for yall

i have used extremely cheap cd's for burning multi-session games like for dc (sorry for dc reference, but its a good example) and have it burn at 8x which is the fastest my burner can go, and have no problems with it at all.

cd-r media makes an enormous difference if you're burning TurboDuo/TG16-CD titles, as one example. Also, apparently x-box can only rip music off of certain dye types of cd-rs (officially it doesnt support em at all.. but supports cd-rws, explain how that stops piracy to me Mr. Gates, anyways).. many standalone dvd/vcd players, cd players, etc, it makes a huge difference too (unless its stamped with the CD-R/CD-RW seal of approval)..

burn speed really depends more on your burner. Some burners, when they burn slower, they laser spends that much more time on a given sector, and burns it that much 'better'... others give a consistent performance no matter what speed.. so this is more of a 'try and see'.. my sony crx-145 definately doesnt do the same job at 10x that it does at 1x.. (i only use 10x to archive files.. and theres a whole lotta seekin/retryin goin on when i try to read em)

in my experience, here's how my consoles rate in terms of how fussy they are about cd-r quality, from most fussy to least fussy.

Fussiest:

TurboDuo - so far only the maxell 650s and older Sony 650s work well in this thingamajig.. anything else gives mucho exaggerated load times, dying audio, or just plain dont work..

3DO (Goldstar).. notorious.. apparently TDKs and Imation work well..

3DO (FZ-10).. mine has never sent back any of the memorex's i've tried.. threw an el'cheapo no-namer in there for giggles once.. didnt seem to care for it..

3DO (FZ-1).. actually i dont own one.. everyone claims it's the console of choice for backups.. though i have no complaints about my FZ-10

Sega CD (Model 2).. just about anyone in the TurboDuo camp will swear on their mothers lives that NEC with its magical technological prowess endowed the TG-16 with a vastly superior CD drive.. But my sega cd has never spit back a burnt disc on the memorex's I use in it..

Sega Saturn.. well, you know...

Dreamcast.. I've tried some cheaper discs.. they seem to work, but obviously throw the odd read error, since the games will pause to retry once in a blue moon.. good ole memorex's just fine in here..

Playstation.. Probably the least fussy console I own, IMO.. #### it even plays CD-RWs on the 2nd or 3rd try.. very forgiving about scratches and smudges too (something i cant say about the others)

after christmas when i'm allowed to open up my xbox and gamecube (i could only buy them on the guise that they're family gifts for the 'kids' to enjoy) mebbe i can report some first hand info on the x-box and its audio-cd-r adventures.. though truth is i didnt buy it to listen to audio cds..

i'm sure i'll be flamed by fanboys from all console camps for the relative order i put the consoles in.. so mot it be.. just speaking from my own experience..

the cd-rw thing isnt the first time i heard that wierdness mentioned, i know someone whose dvd player doesnt like cdrs' but works with cdrw's

guess its the reflectivity is more suitable for the machine

yeah i know dvd drives can be like that, but apparently this was planned this way as an anti-piracy measure.. thats what i dont get.. i mean if it didnt support either, and rw's just happened to work, thats a quirk.. but officially it supports RW and not R... which is odd to me..

i mean (HYPOTHETICALLY) archiving 1000 xbox titles and stickin one on a RW when i feel like playing it seems like a much more cost effective mode of piracy.. i guess it would stop people from selling backups on the street or at trade shows? mebbe they know something about its ability to boot up without modification (like the DC?)

it honestly just makes me wonder, i really have no desire to pirate the games.. i can afford the ones i'm gonna want..

Back