Another suggestion for SX -- archiving

racketboy

Established Member
Hey I was thinking...

There's a lot of good and info-packed threads that get deleted eventually just because people stop posting to them.

Is there a way we can save some of the good ones so people (especially newbies) can read through them?

A good example would be mod installations (both problems and successes).

Also you could have a page for each system that could be an "intro" page where you could stick "favorite game" threads and such so people do ask them over and over.

I'm sure there are many more examples.

Does anybody else think this is a good idea?

I'm all for archiving.

In fact, I'm very much for NOT deleting posts under ANY circumstances. This has happened to me more than once, and recently I noticed a thread that had JadedGod hurl insults at the admins for deleting one of his posts, apparently. I don't support insults/fights but I understand Jaded's anger. It's simply undue censorship IMHO.

As for collecting "favorite game" threads and the like for presentation, that would be a bad idea... before you know it, everything gets "organized", re-threaded, moved around, edited, and then the forum isn't a forum anymore, but a database of "elite" articles.

Originally posted by Taelon@Jan. 15 2003, 1:14 pm

As for collecting "favorite game" threads and the like for presentation, that would be a bad idea... before you know it, everything gets "organized", re-threaded, moved around, edited, and then the forum isn't a forum anymore, but a database of "elite" articles.

Well with those, you could keep them in the forum, but have a page that has organized links to them so they are easy to find.

Or just make them sticky

I can see mod istallations, common asked questions and the like. I however can't see "favorite" threads doing any good. VGR I think would be the best place for this as ppl can browse the games you have and then see your faves alos. I dont think VGR is affiliated with SX anymore at all ??? hmmmm, well ya, that's my 2 cents. I personally think that the Misc. section should be re-done and organised w/ new docs added, like how to add certain mods to your systems. Like country mods, change LED lights, paint systems, mod chip installations, etc.

Originally posted by BJammzz@Jan. 15 2003, 4:19 pm

I can see mod istallations, common asked questions and the like. I however can't see "favorite" threads doing any good. VGR I think would be the best place for this as ppl can browse the games you have and then see your faves alos. I dont think VGR is affiliated with SX anymore at all ??? hmmmm, well ya, that's my 2 cents. I personally think that the Misc. section should be re-done and organised w/ new docs added, like how to add certain mods to your systems. Like country mods, change LED lights, paint systems, mod chip installations, etc.

yeah all those mod suggestions sound good
smile.gif

Originally posted by Taelon@Jan. 16 2003, 7:14 am

I'm all for archiving.

In fact, I'm very much for NOT deleting posts under ANY circumstances. This has happened to me more than once, and recently I noticed a thread that had JadedGod hurl insults at the admins for deleting one of his posts, apparently. I don't support insults/fights but I understand Jaded's anger. It's simply undue censorship IMHO.

I agree that the worthwhile, technical and frequently asked question posts should probably be saved, but I don't agree that every post should be saved. With the example of Jaded's post, he was hurling abuse at both me and mal before the thread was deleted. I simply see no reason to keep negative and agressive material for the long term. In the case of the FTP forum, posts are deleted simply to keep the FTP info both relevant and visible so that new (and old) members can easily find the info they want. The stuff that is deleted is usually stuff that is no longer relevant.

Actually, I'd like to see people use the search function more often.
smile.gif

I'm all for deleting useless posts.

Sure there are plenty that should be kept that contain important guides, discoveries or tips, but there are just as many questions that get repeated OVER AND OVER.
sad.gif

I've been considering working on an FAQ thread for a couple of forums, but it is a lot of work...

Taelon, Jaded God's behavior was unnacceptable and that's why the thread was deleted. I was quite disappointed it happened. I was waiting for an apology. *shrug*

No, nothing like that.
smile.gif

Jaded God started a big flaming rant against Curtis and myself. Neither of us descended to his level and I asked for an apology, but someone deleted the thread before I got a reply.
sad.gif

so anyway, have we reached an agreement that we would like some archiving?

what can us common folk do to help, if anything?

mal & Curtis: Hmm... I see.
smile.gif
Didn't think he'd been making your lives miserable before his posts got deleted.

In hindsight, I would agree that deleting extremely off-topic and no-longer-relevant material is a good idea. It's just, I guess, I still am a little sad over at least one post of mine that got deleted that was not offensive, did have relevance to the thread it was in, and most of all was a piece of original fiction I was proud of. Dammit.
smile.gif
But hey, life goes on, and some did see it before it was removed so all's good.
smile.gif

Archiving? Well...umm... what exactly was going to be archived again?

Taelon - you're really cut up about that story, aren't you?
smile.gif

I see where you are comming from. It was a shame, but unfortunately these things happen. I'll try to keep my use of the "delete" button to a minimum in the forums I can delete from, but useless stuff will be going...

Originally posted by Taelon@Jan. 17 2003, 3:59 pm

Archiving? Well...umm... what exactly was going to be archived again?

Well, I guess "archiving" might not be the perfect word, but there are a lot of posts that are out there, but are hard to find for some users, which leads to a lot of repetative questions, and makes it harder for people to find certain information.

I think it would be nice to just come up with a FAQ with links to some of the most useful threads for different topics.

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but if people can't use the search function, what makes you think they'll use an FAQ?
sad.gif

BTW Taelon, I do sympathise. That post of yours that got deleted was quite good. I think it was a casualty of differeing tastes within the admins of the site at the time. IIRC Iceman put foward the idea of some fan fiction and another admin (someone who may no longer be an admin :
wink.gif
: ) who didn't think that was suitable for SX deleted it.

That's pure guess work on my part mind you.

Originally posted by mal@Jan. 17 2003, 10:58 pm

Not wanting to rain on your parade, but if people can't use the search function, what makes you think they'll use an FAQ?
sad.gif

maybe if you make the FAQ a sticky post on the top of each respective forum, it might help

I hope so. It's something I've been thinking about for a while and I'm giving the forums that I moderate a gentle prune at the moment, with the view of selecting the most freqently asked questions.

The thing that worries me is that few people seem to read the sticky about modding Saturns that's already there. Will these FAQs be any different?

Originally posted by mal@Jan. 17 2003, 11:34 pm

The thing that worries me is that few people seem to read the sticky about modding Saturns that's already there. Will these FAQs be any different?

5803 views seems decent to me
smile.gif

However, it would probably help if it wasn't super long
smile.gif

BTW, mal, I haven't made any progress on my Saturn problem. Haven't had any time to work on it.

Yeah it's long. It's shorter than it was though. :
wink.gif
:

I've trimmed it down a bit but I don't want to cut out anybody's contributions. ???

Let me know when you do get to look at the Saturn again. I'm sure we can get it going.
smile.gif

Back