any know of a genesis emu..

Gallstaff

Established Member
does anyone know if there is a genesis emulator that can take shots frame by frame like zsnes can do with snes? I'm making a sonic flash movie and need to get him running but i can't do it by pressing print scrn sysrq for each step he takes, that'd be impossible. so anyone know of any?

It's been requested to be added to Gens, which may be in the next version, 2.10

Stef says there is a good chance of manual frame advance being added to Gens, as it isn't too difficult.

but theres none that can do that already? I thought genecyst could but it's dos so i don't want to really bother with it if i don't have to... does it do that?

You could try extracting the animation frames using hacking/tile editing tools. I believe there's an editor specifically for the Sonic games, look through the utils section of Zophar's Domain for the link.

i couldn't find it
sad.gif
looks like i'm going to have to do this the old fashoned way...

This is the program I was talking about. No idea if it's actually useful, though. Some tile editors can handle Megadrive formats, but they're not as common as NES/SNES/Gameboy editors.

Try this:

1. Goto www.aldostools.com

2. Download Aldos screen capture program

3. install it

It's a program that captures desktop screens from pushing the print screen button.. It saves them temporarily and lets you see and choose which ones to save.. So run sonic on gens and use the program to save all the frames of sonic running by pressing the print screen key as many times as you need.. Then save the pics you want.. It saves them in jpg format.. Finally use a pic editor program to edit/cut/paste what you need..

Yes, use Gens to capture each frame. You can use the old Sonic cheats to get the pause and slow motion to work. Remember the old Sonic 2 cheat?

Sound select and play 19, 65, 09, 17 for level select...

01, 09, 09, 02, 01, 01, 02, 04, for debug mode.

Do both cheats, start the game and press pause. Then you can press the B button to advance one frame. Using Gens you can capture each frame as it advances and put it together for animation.

Hope this helps.

-<<<<< Anything is possible >>>>>0

Pukmerin

Originally posted by fivefeet8@Aug. 19 2002, 3:50 am

Try this:

1. Goto www.aldostools.com

2. Download Aldos screen capture program

3. install it

It's a program that captures desktop screens from pushing the print screen button.. It saves them temporarily and lets you see and choose which ones to save.. So run sonic on gens and use the program to save all the frames of sonic running by pressing the print screen key as many times as you need.. Then save the pics you want.. It saves them in jpg format.. Finally use a pic editor program to edit/cut/paste what you need..

oh and i'll try that. thank'ee
cool.gif

I always used Genecyst for sprite grabbing from genny games a while ago.

Go to the timing options. There you can lower the framerate (18 is the minumin) and mess with other timings to make the games run super slow. Pause the emulation (I forgot the shortcut key) then de-activate the background layers in the layer menu, and start screen-grabbing (F9, I think).

genecyst can definitely do screen grabs, i think its f10 or f12 though to capture them

it will save with a filename ending in .pcx, in whatever directory is set, its also better for what you want than prt screen since you can capture a whole series of pics (it names them sequentally)

Back