Any thoughts on Hard Drive coolers?

would there be any difference in doing either of the following?:

Drilling a big blowhole for each fan

or

Drilling a series of smaller holes across a large section of the case panel

I would still have a fan over each drive bay either way.

Would there be that much of a difference in air flow?

I was thinking the smaller holes would look cooler than to big ones

Probably not a big enough difference to matter. Do whatever you think looks best. If you plan on overclocking, I hope you are replacing that CPU heatsink. Or even just mounting a fan to it, if you can fit it. An old aluminum HS without its own fan doesn't lend itself well to overclocking.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jul 24, 2003 @ 11:55 PM

Probably not a big enough difference to matter. Do whatever you think looks best. If you plan on overclocking, I hope you are replacing that CPU heatsink. Or even just mounting a fan to it, if you can fit it. An old aluminum HS without its own fan doesn't lend itself well to overclocking.

well everbody I talked to said that P166s overclock quite easily to 200 if not to 233 without changing anything. It all depends on the chip.

I'll just set it to 200 and monitor it well

I can always change it back

Originally posted by Scared0o0Rabbit@Jul 25, 2003 @ 01:01 AM

not if it blows up ^_~

then I'll just spend $15 on a real 233 :)

It should be fine though

Those original Pentiums are tanks

I never said it wasn't a tank. I never said it wouldn't overclock. But I've yet to hear someone suggest that you overclock without using a fan at least. Not anything complicated for an old chip like that, but how about a low-rpm 40-60mm fan, a slim one. But as you said, at that point you could get a P233 for cheap.

Is your board socket 5, or 7? My friend's old old computer came stock with a P200 non-MMX but it was a socket 7 board, so we threw in a K6-2 450, clocked at 400 (6 x 66 instead of 4.5 x 100, that's the fastest it supported). It was a lot cheaper than one of those upgrade kits since we didnt need an adapter or anything, just a BIOS update.

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Jul 25, 2003 @ 06:33 PM

I never said it wasn't a tank. I never said it wouldn't overclock. But I've yet to hear someone suggest that you overclock without using a fan at least. Not anything complicated for an old ship like that, but how about a low-rpm 40-60mm fan, a slim one. But as you said, at that point you could get a P233 for cheap.

Is your board socket 5, or 7? My friend's old old computer came stock with a P200 non-MMX but it was a socket 7 board, so we threw in a K6-2 450, clocked at 400 (6 x 66 instead of 4.5 x 100, that's the fastest it supported). It was a lot cheaper than one of those upgrade kits since we didnt need an adapter or anything, just a BIOS update.

I'm not sure what socket it is.

How do I tell.

The K-6 stuff crossed my mind before

There are also slot 1 Pentium 3s and THEIR Celeron variants with SSE. But no P1s, for sure. Their native socket is 5, but they'll run in socket 7 as well. Socket 7 is the home of Pentium MMX and K6-2 chips. You'll have to check the max FSB and multiplier settings for your board, to see if that's worth it. If its socket 7 in the first place, which I doubt, but its always best to check.

Back