Are fanboys true gamers?

hell ya DDR, haha.

and no, but the FF games are considered by most as "the best rpgs ever" u have NO idea how much I hear that and it irks me a little, but oh well. I have played a little star ocean and xenogears, as well as vagrant story. Vagrant story I didn't care much for (was ok, nuffin special IMO) and star ocean and xenogears were pretty cool (specially xenogears). Another game I liked was tales of destiny... the only prob. I had w/ it was that it drug on.

forgot sum stuff :). The reason for dislike of the controller is: the shape (horrid), thier analog sticks are aweful, d-pad blows balls (mostly for fighters, specially 2d ones....), and the button layout isn't all that great. it's ok though, but the actual buttons i dislike.

As for the PS1, ya it beat the internal design of the sat but my sat has been nicer to me than any PS1 console. the bastard is old and has seen insane hours of backups and still always reads the discs. Most of my friends have went through 2-3 playstations....

Originally posted by BJammzz@Nov 13, 2003 @ 06:37 PM

and no, but the FF games are considered by most as "the best rpgs ever" u have NO idea how much I hear that and it irks me a little, but oh well. I have played a little star ocean and xenogears, as well as vagrant story. Vagrant story I didn't care much for (was ok, nuffin special IMO) and star ocean and xenogears were pretty cool (specially xenogears). Another game I liked was tales of destiny... the only prob. I had w/ it was that it drug on.

Yes, the rabid fanboyism wrt FF games is irritating, but in some aspects it's well deserved.

The FF series has some of the best character-driven plot in RPG's, period. Some games are better than others, but taken as a whole the series has kept very consistent quality (with one exception).

Most of the rabid FF haters that I see give blanket statements without any specific reasons why the games are bad, and often those FF haters who have played the games haven't played longer than maybe ~30 minutes - and the FF series is known to have very long, mediocre introductions. The only FF that got off to a quick start was IX.

Anyway, don't say things like "All the FF games are horrible" without having played any of them, that's just depressing.

Fanboys are like zombies so its useless to argue with them just ignore them and no they´re not true gamers since they´re limited to a brand.

the PS1 is a RPG machine, just like the Saturn and DC are fighting machines.

The PSOne might be well enginered for the most part, but I've heard bad things about the lasers in all PSX models.

So, as for me, I just run ePSXe and use it for RPGs galore and a few other misc games that I can't play elsewhere.

I enjoy Sega products on the whole more than any other company, but I do not consider myself a fanboy. They just release the types of games I like for the most part.

I am also not anti-sony, they playstation just appeals to me very little. Most likely stemming from the fact that I do not like RPGs and hate the damn dual shock controller. Plus, I do not like consoles that do not last and ps1 & ps2 don't have a good track record.

I know that lots of people like the playstation controller and if the fact that I hate it isn't enough to throw you off, I must admit that I love the Xbox controller. No... not controller S, I'm talking about the beast. My hands are around average size so I don't know what everyone complains about the size of it, I personally love the feel of it. I even bought an extra one when I found out that controller S became standard and the old model was becoming discontinued. Its a bit bigger than the dc controller, but everyone complained that that was too small. I like the dc controller aswell but after 6 hours of vs DOA2 me and my friends noticed that a cramping feeling kicks in and it hurts to continue holding the controller. Doesn't mean we stopped playing, it was just something we noticed :lol:

But anyway, in answer to your question, I don't believe fanboys are true gamers. Any person who will stand by an inferior product just because of a brand is stupid in my opinion, no matter what the case. If Sega made an asstastic game tomorrow I'd be on the boards cracking jokes at how bad it is. A perfect example would be if Sega made the Ngage.... think anyone here would step up to the plate to try and defend them? I sure as hell wouldn't....that phone is a P.O.S., plain and simple.

---Ammut

Originally posted by Zheræ@Nov 14, 2003 @ 05:36 PM

Fanboys are like zombies so its useless to argue with them just ignore them and no they´re not true gamers since they´re limited to a brand.

This is not directed at Zheræ specifically, I'm just expanding on what he has said :smokin:

I see 2 types of gamers: one, which plays the majority of the system's game library simply because he's looking for fun and challenging games to play.. and the other, who doesn't bother trying out new games, and sticks with what he 'knows' is cool. The latter is not a 'true gamer' and spends his time/ money on games that are similar to the ones he likes already. What I was saying before is, you can get fanboys for both types of gamers - one is a 'true gamer', and the other isn't.

And in regards to peoples general hate towards 'fanboys' (but still related to the question):

Now, I don't really give a :wanker if someone decides to play games only for his system. Sure, he supports his system and defends it when in a debate over which system is better. He may be a fanboy, but he is just defending his 'decision' for buying a certain console. You see, not everyone can, or chooses to caugh up extra dough to buy the other systems - they have spent quite a bit of money already when they bought their system and when someone goes "Pffft, why did ya get a cube, there so kiddy", or "Pfft, why did ya get a xbox, there just a pc in a box and twice as heavy", or "Pfft, why did ya... nevermind, it's gonna break on you anyway", the fanboy defends his 'beloved' console. Why would he admit that he made a stupid decision and wasted lots of money? He wouldn't, and won't. Though what I am getting at is that many fanboys may have their simple PS2 or GCN or Xbox, but in reality, they would love to have another system. They just (1), don't have the money to buy all the consoles that are currenty on the market, or (2), they have the money but what to spend it on other things (as they are not yet bored with their current gaming system).

So there you have it. More :blah from me, but you survived it :p. I'll finish by saying that not all fanboys are evil - some may appear to be, but they are just trying to justify thier initial decision for buying a certain console. And yes, some may wish that they :eek:wned all systems on the market, and some may not. But as long as they try out new games (whether it be for a single console or multiple), and don't limit themselves to a single genre or series, then they too are "a true gamer like us."

for fanboys being true gamers i think it depends, they can be hardcore and still like other games (being a ture gamer) or they could be anti everthing not *insert company name here* and i was like that for awhile when i got my saturn in 98 but i came out of it, i don't think i can still call myself a true gamer any more, i don't play as much as before and my passion has turned to a girl that i guess i'm trying to win over (were close friends but she's had a boy friend since the summer before we met) so thats kinda took me over, but i still play. and i'm kinda doin this thing where i actually stick to a game to finish it now, so i've been playing the same games for awhile now.

Anyway that was off topic, but a ture gamer apprciates all quality games reguardless of system or creator.

Back