Are games supposed to recognize my 4 in 1 as a Memory Cart?

Ok I have a 4 in 1 Action Replay and I want to know if the Saturn games are supposed to recognize it as an external memory cart? Or is it just for off system storage? Because it doesn't and I wonder if I need a normal memory cart to use "in game"? I transferred some save data from internal memory to the cart via it's built in memory manager but I really don't want to hassle with having to transfer saves back and forth when I want to continue a game.

Nope the Saturn doesn't recognize those carts as memory cards. And the interact brand memory card usually don't work either and are total heaps of junk.

You only bet for in game saving directly to a mem card is the very expensive SEGA branded memory card.

your talking about the 'vampire mod'

detailed in this link:

http://www.shinforce.com/saturn/information/4MBRAM-mod.html

That is only for RAM, not save function. It updates older 4 in 1 carts so that they can be used on newer games... i.e. Vampire Savior... hence the name 'Vampire Mod'

RAM has nothing to do with Save ram. RAM is for extra random access memory for games that have large graphics and images to be playable (a lot of fighters used it for more detailed sprites). Save ram cart is the place you save stuff to. Personally I don't know why the hell they decided to call the Save carts RAM Carts... the naming is just confusing.

So yeah... the 4M on the cart means in game memory, not save memory. Like how 1 gig of RAM in your computer isn't for storage, but for programs to use when running.

I dunno... I have an Interact 16 MB cart (bought it from Gamestop for .50) and it does direct saves perfectly well for me. In fact, I don't save to the main memory anymore (on account of the stupid battery dying).

The AR cart will NOT do direct-saves.

But other 3rd party save carts WILL direct-save.

However, I'll also recommend the official Sega brand save cart, as its data is not compressed like some 3rd party ones like interact, and is supposed to be more reliable. That said, I STILL had my sega-brand carts mess up on me, so I still use the AR cart to back up my data once in awhile.

To both MTXBlau and thempin termis:

Yeah there are 3rd party ones that do direct save. I said that. It is just they are a risky purchase. So I call them crap.

For myself I have purchased 4 in total, non of which ever worked.

I've have read similar comments from tons of people here on SX and other places on the net.

And friends of mine in the area have also had the same problems.

So I just say avoid them in general... like thumpin termis said, they are unrealiabble.

yah thats just a ram cart... i dont really think there is a game that needs that much... I would recommend the Action Replay 4 in 1 cart http://www.jandaman.com/games.mvc?p=satar4mplus&Category_code=SAT it works well and I havent had it fail on me yet... I have a gameshark I back up things to as well though thats a pain in the ass cuz i have to transfer everything from the AR cart to saturn mem turn it off switch cards and transfer everything from saturn mem to gameshark lather rince repeat. FYI most gamesharks on ebay are listed as 4 in 1 carts when they are not... one seller calls them that because the have cheats, backup memory, can transfer to the computer, and you can bypass region lockout... or something like that. True 4 in 1 carts are cheat devices, 1 / 4mb ram, save memory and bypass region lockout. Stupid me bought a gameshark on ebay because i was just looking at the title of the auction which was "Saturn 4 in 1 cart" thinking it would be a true 4 in 1 cart and not reading the auction carefully.

Back