Are there any Saturn 2d games that

Are there any Saturn 2D games that use hi-res mode? Many games use hi-res on menu screens and some 3D games used it (VF2, DOA, Last Brinx, Decatlethe, Winter Heat, and some others), but were there any 2D games that used hi-res mode? That would have fit the Saturn perfectly...

How about that bomberman game, where you can be 10 players on the same screen. That's got to be hi-res..? I've never tried it though.

Another game I come to think of is Darius II, you can resize the screen with the L and R buttons. But I don't remember if it changed to hi-res when on the "smallest" screen. Gotta try it when I get home.

Other than those (wich I aren't sure of) I can't think of any other.

The only one I can remember is Saturn Bomberman in 10 player mode. I don't recall any other sprite-based game using the high res modes during in-game.

As you said, I've seen it used a lot in menus, logos, image galleries, intermission screens and the such.

Maybe the fact that such mode eats VRAM like there is no tomorrow explains why it's not much suitable for 2D games. Even in Bomberman, the high res level's graphics are much simplier than the other levels'.

How about Radiant Silvergun? But it does include 3d to.

Maybe the fact that such mode eats VRAM like there is no tomorrow explains why it's not much suitable for 2D games. Even in Bomberman, the high res level's graphics are much simplier than the other levels'.
Perhaps, but still, it would that pictures would have to be twice as big in order to look the same in hi-res as in low-res. So some caracter animations from genesis fighting-games for example, would fit in that memory. You don´t have to have hundreds of frames of special-attacks for each caracter (SFA2 anyone). So I think it would work, but as you said, it would be a bit simpler.

Perhaps the RAM-cart can be used to overcome the ram-problems.

FYI, Radiant Silvergun runs in normal (320x224) resolution, both the backgrounds and the sprites/polygons.

It only uses high res for the logo, the title screen and the menus.

Digital Pinball by KAME runs in hi-res mode both menus and in game.
Interesting. Ill check it out...

how can u tell what mode it's runnin in?

Well, higher resolution looks less grainy, and if you look closely at the background, you can see that it flickers a little. This is very little and even hard to notice, but then again, you can tell by the gfx looking much more detailed and clearer. Hard to explain...

High resolution flickers as hell, at least on Saturn, so it's very noticeable.

...and you can also run the game through SSF in windowed mode. If the game enters in high res mode you WILL notice it.

Also, I saw some games that use high resolution modes in only one or two layers, but the sprite layer or the VDP2 backgorund remained low-res. This makes the image looks horribly pixelated. I think D-Xhird is like this, using high res for the life gauges and such, and having the 3D stuff in low res.

If the developers tought this would make the game look sharper and nicer, they were all-round wrong.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Sep 18, 2003 @ 04:15 PM

Also, I saw some games that use high resolution modes in only one or two layers, but the sprite layer or the VDP2 backgorund remained low-res. This makes the image looks horribly pixelated. I think D-Xhird is like this, using high res for the life gauges and such, and having the 3D stuff in low res.

High-res (or double interlace) is not selectable for background planes individually. High-res sprites will make a programmer's life "interesting", so there's little wonder few games use them (see the VDP1 manual for the details).

For instance you lose the ability to double-buffer. Even lines are drawn into one framebuffer while the odd lines are drawn into the other.

Columns '97 wich is one of the games in Sega Ages: Columns Arcade Collection runs in Hi-res.

Still haven't checked if Darius II uses it, maybe I will someday. ;)

Back