ASPI on Windows XP

Taelon

Established Member
Like many before me (and no doubt, many after me), I too have had my troubles installing Adaptec's ASPI on Windows XP (Professional, in my case).

Long story short, don't bother with 4.71.2 from Adaptec, get ForceASPI 1.8 instead which puts the 4.71.2 components on your system without hesitation.

BUT THAT'S NOT ALL.

After I rebooted and found that, according to Nero's InfoTool, ASPI still was not functioning properly/corrupted - I then somehow ended up going to Device Manager and having it show all hidden devices. It promptly showed me an ASPI device with a yellow exclamation mark under "Non-Plug and Play Devices."

Checking out the device's properties, I realized it was some kind of service which was STOPPED when it should be RUNNING.

I started the service, went to InfoTool again, and VOILA!! Aspi 4.71.2 completely installed and listed as fully functional.

So, those of you having trouble getting ASPI to run... make sure the ASPI service is started in Device Manager
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

On a side note, before ppl start telling me Nero comes with its own functioning ASPI (namely WNASPI32.DLL in the Nero directory) - I know that already. I just happened to find and be able to resolve my problems with the system default ASPI by using Nero's InfoTool program.

That means I can now use CDRWin 3.9d properly in WinXP with my new Sony CRX210E1 drive
smile.gif
Yeehaww!!

Originally posted by Resident_Lurker@Jun 26, 2003 @ 09:52 PM

Put on a shirt!! Heh... j/k. Congrats on getting ASPI to work. You've passed the final test of manhood. :cheers

dude lurker, signature images with your name on them are not cool, they are a blatant display of Hey, im a faggot and i want you to rape me, go back to da cheese

Nice work, Taelon!

Originally posted by Jurai+Jun 27, 2003 @ 03:10 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jurai @ Jun 27, 2003 @ 03:10 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-Resident_Lurker@Jun 26, 2003 @ 09:52 PM

Put on a shirt!! Heh... j/k. Congrats on getting ASPI to work. You've passed the final test of manhood. :cheers

dude lurker, signature images with your name on them are not cool, they are a blatant display of Hey, im a faggot and i want you to rape me, go back to da cheese[/b][/quote]

Are you saying my sig pic is not cool? :flamethrower:

I had no problems with the Adaptec ASPI installer (the one designed for Windows XP) except that I might have had to fix a typo in one of the .bat files.
blink.gif

The INSTALL.BAT that you're supposed to run from the command line justs runs reg_xp.exe then copies ASP32.SYS or ASPI64.SYS depending on if you have XP 32 bit or 64 bit (actually, it seems that it always copies ASPI32.SYS (?)) then copies the WNASPI32.DLL.

This procedure is the same thing that ForceASPI 1.8 does besides that ForceASPI also sends WINASPI.DLL and WOWPOST.EXE to your system32 directory. The extra two files are not needed on XP, but since ForceASPI only detects between 'WINNT' and 'WIN9x', they are copied without any harm to your system.

Originally posted by Zero 9@Jun 27, 2003 @ 01:35 PM

The INSTALL.BAT that you're supposed to run from the command line justs runs reg_xp.exe then copies ASP32.SYS or ASPI64.SYS depending on if you have XP 32 bit or 64 bit (actually, it seems that it always copies ASPI32.SYS (?)) then copies the WNASPI32.DLL.

This procedure is the same thing that ForceASPI 1.8 does besides that ForceASPI also sends WINASPI.DLL and WOWPOST.EXE to your system32 directory. The extra two files are not needed on XP, but since ForceASPI only detects between 'WINNT' and 'WIN9x', they are copied without any harm to your system.

I've made the exact same observation... but either way, I found that I had to find the ASPI service listed as a hidden device in Device Manager, and start it so the yellow exclamation mark would vanish. After that, both aspichk.exe and Nero InfoTool reported ASPI as fully operational. Well, aspichk.exe did so even before since it only checks the files - but not the service! And InfoTool had claimed that ASPI was corrupted.

I'm guessing WinXP needs ASPI to run as a service similarly to the way IMAPI (its own CD recording API) runs as a service that can be started and stopped from Administrative->Services.

Back