Backing up games

mtxblau

Mid Boss
My copy of MSR is actually pretty scratched up - I hadn't noticed it before today. I bought it used (unfortunately); usually if I get a game scratched I can return it for a new one; however, this one is out.

So how does one back up a DC original? Do you need a BBA?

Thanks a million!

Backing up this game is particularly hard, because you'd have to downsample video/audio to make it fit in a cd. Better look for another original or look for the warez/ripped one in irc; buy its not worth getting that bastard copy for such a great game.

I'd buy yours because I'm stuck with that shitty ripped copy and I really want to play that game; but I don't live in USA
sad.gif

Drat. I read about DC games not fitting on regular CDs... oh well.

If you had asked me three weeks ago I would've most likely sold it to you. However, I rekindled the love and have two races to go to completely finish the game (2 stupid races in chapter 24). I unlocked everything else, including the secret vehicles and the cheats (grass! lawnmower!). I'm thinking about doing a huge FAQ for it on Gamefaqs, so I might just replay it again (it's that good).

There's that new Disc Doctor or something or another, that is supposed to fix scratched CDs. Anyone know anything about that? Does it work on games? Or CD-RWs for that matter?

Off topic, but what car are you using? I think I unlocked the final chapter in a GTO and then finished the game with the Skyline...

Ah, excellent time to ask.

I *believe* I finished the game. I got that flaky 'you've won enough kudos' screen that goes on to say continue racing and take the ultimate test in the global challenge, etc. etc. way back, but nothing since then.

(I think) I've unlocked all the secrets, and all the codes, and all the cars, and beat the aforementioned two tracks (I wasn't really paying attention to either of them... I was talking to a lab partner over the phone
biggrin.gif
). I then went into time attack and finished off any tracks that I hadn't already raced or hadn't earned a fastest time on.

So, I'm done, right? Is there anything else to be had?

In Chapter 14 or so, I had unlocked all the chapters (I used jokers on nearly everything, and I was averaging ~700K a race) and then started beating the unrestricted special races and then unlocked the car I used to finish the rest of the game, the Celica GT Four. It's my favorite car, even though it has a relatively low CPF compared to the Skyline, Lancer, etc.

I only truly used five cars in the game: MFG, Alfa Romeo Spyder, MR2, Audi TT Roadster (I *hate* the coupe), and the Celica. According to the game, the Celica has close to 1,000 miles on it (pretty freaking insane, eh?). Prior to chapter 14, most of the legwork was by the Audi TT.

Took me six months, but it's done! Whoo.

I would love that game if it wasn't for the music. I wish they used more of the techno-style music from the menus instead of that trash that plays during a race.
angry.gif

You can make your own 'mix CD' during the race. I got sick of the music too, and made my own 'CD'.

The bug is though you must reload it before starting a race, or it'll play the default Pop CD.

What? "Fallen Angel" didn't get your blood pumping??
tongue.gif

The only problem with the custom CDs for me was that there wasn't a randomise function. Sure you got your own tracks, but they were always the same ones...

Originally posted by Ape@May 02 2002,14:05

I would love that game if it wasn't for the music. I wish they used more of the techno-style music from the menus instead of that trash that plays during a race.
angry.gif

You lamer, go play wipeout...

Here in the US, many gaming and used gamin stores have a proffesional resurfacing machine on site. Cost is usually around $5-8. But it comes out looking like a new game. Worth looking into if the game is important enough and hard to find.

Back