Backing up Saturn games... is it easy?

So I have a bunch of old Saturn games I would like to back up. Before I jump into it and start making copies of the discs and screwing them up and waisting a lot of my time, I was wondering how easy it is to do.

Can I just make an exact copy of the original game with a standard burning program, or is it more complicated. I have looked around and read the FAQS but it really just deals with iso's and cue sheets... which makes no sence to me at all. I would assume that if you have the original disks you wouldnt need to go through all that... but thats why Im here asking.

Basicly I just need some advise from others. Any particular speed you recommend burning at or any particular media to burn on? Can I use the regular software that came with my PC or do I need something else like Alcohol or Nero? What, if any modifications will I have to make to play them? Any advise or links to a place that can answer my questions and help me along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

any name brand media should be fine

Nero, Discjuggler, or CDRWin would fine for software. That's what I use.

Bin/Cue are just usually the kind of files you'll find on the net.

But you can use many different formats for your own use.

It's very easy to make exact copies.

Originally posted by ccgtrader_78@Mar 18, 2004 @ 02:49 PM

Basically I just need some advise from others. Any particular speed you recommend burning at or any particular media to burn on? Can I use the regular software that came with my PC or do I need something else like Alcohol or Nero? What, if any modifications will I have to make to play them? Any advise or links to a place that can answer my questions and help me along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

Different people have reported different results as far as media and burning speeds go.

Some swear by burning "no name" CDRs at high (16x or higher) speeds and say they have no problems.

Others use brand name discs such as Kodak, BASF or TDK and burn much more slowly (2x or 4x).

It's really something you need to try with your own hardware - both your burner and your Saturn.

Basically any CD writing software that will do direct CD to CD copies should be fine.

To play CDRs in a Saturn you'll either need to install a modboard or learn the swap trick.

Probably the best place to get the answers that you're after is here. Have a read though the Saturn forum, the General Tech Help - CD Burning Help forum and the Help & FAQ section of the site. It may take some time, but there's plenty of great info here. :)

Thanks for the replies, I have read through a lot of the sections you mentioned, but as I said earlier they are pretty confusing to me. I really just want to know if I make exact copies of my games, will they play in my Saturn?

with a mod chip or a swap trick, yes.

Sega CD, on the other hand takes nothing -- it can't really tell the difference between original and copy

Originally posted by ccgtrader_78+Mar 19, 2004 @ 07:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ccgtrader_78 @ Mar 19, 2004 @ 07:59 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Thanks for the replies, I have read through a lot of the sections you mentioned, but as I said earlier they are pretty confusing to me. I really just want to know if I make exact copies of my games, will they play in my Saturn?[/b]

Clearly you don't read that well. My reply had this in it:

<!--QuoteBegin-mal
@Mar 18, 2004 @ 07:38 PM

To play CDRs in a Saturn you'll either need to install a modboard or learn the swap trick.

[/quote]

I guess I should have been a little more specific on that. I meant did I have to do anything special to the disc or with the burn, IE using cuesheets or setting the tracks up in the right order. Stuff like that. But I know now that I dont have to do anything like that if Im using the original disc.

Thanks again for the help.

Another part of my reply:

Originally posted by mal@Mar 18, 2004 @ 07:38 PM

Basically any CD writing software that will do direct CD to CD copies should be fine.

Originally posted by ccgtrader_78@Mar 17, 2004 @ 10:49 PM

So I have a bunch of old Saturn games I would like to back up. Before I jump into it and start making copies of the discs and screwing them up and waisting a lot of my time, I was wondering how easy it is to do.

Can I just make an exact copy of the original game with a standard burning program, or is it more complicated. I have looked around and read the FAQS but it really just deals with iso's and cue sheets... which makes no sence to me at all. I would assume that if you have the original disks you wouldnt need to go through all that... but thats why Im here asking.

Basicly I just need some advise from others. Any particular speed you recommend burning at or any particular media to burn on? Can I use the regular software that came with my PC or do I need something else like Alcohol or Nero? What, if any modifications will I have to make to play them? Any advise or links to a place that can answer my questions and help me along the way would be appreciated. Thanks!

Very easy.

Just copy on the fly any Saturn CD using Nero.

always works for me!

:thumbs-up:

Back