Backups black screen, no music. Help please!

I have a 21 pin Pal Model 2 Saturn with a chip from Rob Webb. Some of the backups don't work properly, they get on to the title and options screens with no problem, but when i try to actually start a game the screen just goes black. I've had this problem with Guardian Heroes and the 1st disk of the Street Fighter Collection, but weirdly the second disk works fine.

In addition, some of the disks play perfectly (like Outrun), but completely without music. The sound effects are as they should be though. This is definitely not a problem with the roms, as they work normally on an emulator.

Could this simply be because i'm using 80min disks? I've burnt them using PowerISO and at the slowest speed. I've done some checking around and can't find any info on specific types of disk (other than CD-RWs) not working on the Saturn.

I hope someone can help me with this, its really infuriating not being able to get them working!

I had the same problem than you (in a Saturn Ntsc-usa) , but with another games like Sonic 3D and virtual on, in my case the special stage was not render correctly. I solved it with games on NTSC version, befor had the Pal version.

I always do the back-up (80 min disk) on 1x or 2x in an old hp-writer :tophat:, because with the newest not work for me.

You mean an old cd writer? Cool, thanks for the tip, i'll try that, i'm sure i've got an old drive i can stick into my comp.

Yes, sorry. Is a Hp cd-writer. For example I recorded Alone in the dark in my new notebook at 8x, and the Saturn does a big effort to read the disk.

This generates more time to load and a little of low framerate.

I have my Saturn since 95, it never rejected a CD or something bad like the new generation consoles. The Saturn have an awesome cd-reader. Obviously, I have take care of it, more than a girlfriend! :smokin:.

Lol, i don't blame you! I missed out first time round, there was no way my parents would splash out on a Saturn so i'm making up for it now :)

I'm eventually hoping to get all the consoles i missed out on, so far i've got a Dreamcast an Saturn, next is an Xbox. Then i'm going to replace the consoles that've been lost over the years

I've dug out my old drive, i'm gonna put it in tonight and give it a go. I'll let you know if it works!

Sadly it didn't work. I fitted the drive and burnt Guardian Heroes, but it stopped working at exactly the same point :(

I'm going to buy a different brand of disk and try it again, i just hope theres nothing wrong with the cd laser.

Back