Best emulators/homebrew apps for DC

axelblazeadam

Staff member
Now I've finally got a decent CD writer , I've decided to look into the emulators and homebrew stuff that have been made for the DC. But there seem to be so many of them.

So before a waste a load of cdr's, I'd like to know which emulators and homebrew stuff are worth getting. In particular which emus work at a decent speed with sound.

Originally posted by Daniel Eriksson@Oct 23, 2003 @ 07:28 PM

If you go to www.dcemulation.com and then the homebrew section, you can find info and screens from loads of freeware Dc games. Ready for download.

I've been to that site, Theres a lot of things on there so I was hoping to narrow it down to best stuff. I only have a dial up connection to the internet so the less downloading the better.

Yeah, NesterDC and DCGnuBoy are great. Titanium Quake is also really good. I wouldn't bother with DSNES as the speed isn't there. DCFrodo is pretty cool, the compatibility isn't great (especially for demos), but a lot of games work well. DCDivx is a must if you don't have another way to watch DivX files on your TV. Other than that, I can't think of a whole lot, although you may want to give some of the MAME releases a go if you like the older arcade games alot.

Originally posted by Ammut@Oct 23, 2003 @ 07:19 PM

DrXlax! Great 2-4 player game.

I can't plug this game enough :cool:

---Ammut

is it easy for non-regular-gamers to pick up?

I would like to have another neat party game around.

Looks interesting and confusing at the same time (from the screenshots)

What about MP3 players? I know there are lots of them, but which ones are friendlier? I mean in terms of allowing disc swapping, and maybe using the VMU to display track info.

And which MPEG/DivX players allow for disc swapping? All I've seen require you to go through the uber-cumbersome process os burning the videos with the player, what is totally unpratical when you have lots of CDs already.

Originally posted by racketboy+Oct 22, 2003 @ 11:49 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Oct 22, 2003 @ 11:49 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ammut@Oct 23, 2003 @ 07:19 PM

DrXlax! Great 2-4 player game.

I can't plug this game enough :cool:

---Ammut

is it easy for non-regular-gamers to pick up?

I would like to have another neat party game around.

Looks interesting and confusing at the same time (from the screenshots) [/b][/quote]

Quite easy to pick up... dpad/joystick moves, a shoots, b drops bomb, hold b then release while moving flings bomb.A couple of other features too, but those are the basics. A good description is a simple asteroids multiplayer game, but it just doesn't say enough for the game. Fun stuff, definitely worth burning (what is it, $.50? Take a chance :lol: )

I'll even refund you if you don't have fun ;)

---Ammut

Thanks for all the sugestions I'll try some of those.

Btw Has anyone tried the CPS emu, is it any good, I'm guessing that it would run too slow. Alos are there any other sites other then dcemulation that you would recommend.

www.boob.co.uk

www.sbiffy.com

If you want to conserve CDRs, take a look at SBIffy.com

They also have almost every DC homebrew file available over there.

Download Feet of Fury, and try that if you haven't already, it's great, and it's only about 30 MB.

The best MP3 player out there is definately DCPlaya.

I'd try out ScummVM for DC(A Lucas Arts Point and click interpreter) and SMSPlus, a fullspeed Maser system/GG emulator.

Originally posted by M3d10n@Oct 24, 2003 @ 01:13 AM

What about MP3 players? I know there are lots of them, but which ones are friendlier? I mean in terms of allowing disc swapping, and maybe using the VMU to display track info.

And which MPEG/DivX players allow for disc swapping? All I've seen require you to go through the uber-cumbersome process os burning the videos with the player, what is totally unpratical when you have lots of CDs already.

With DCDivx you can disk swap (mp3 and divx) when you run it you done it!

I think Bero's DC Media Player allows you to swap discs as well. I haven't used this one, but supposedly it runs some stuff a little faster than DCDivX and it also supports a few more formats.

I tried Bero's. While it's speed and media support was amazing (it ALMOST did high-res DivX), it's still a proto, far from being usable other than for curiosity, since the current version (that is rather old) has no GUI, can't seek, and, as stated by Bero himself, doesn't contain any code for synchronizing the audio and the video: if it looks in sync, it's just a coincidence.

But if he could ever resume that project, it would turn the best ever.

yo, download dreaminducer with dreamselection vol. 1, it has all of the mp3/divx players , a load of almost all of the homebrew games mentioned in this forum, and its already loaded onto here, it saved me over 50 discs. its a great program. also, try this game called echo's quest, its a 3-d adventure game

Back