Beware Bad new virus going around

IceDigger

Founder
Staff member
Virus Exploits Flaw:

This flaw applies to just about every version of Windows from NT4.0 up. Get fixed up before you end up being ate up.

Microsoft originally released this bulletin and patch on July 16, 2003, to correct a security vulnerability in a Windows Distributed Component Object Model (DCOM) Remote Procedure Call (RPC) interface. The patch was and still is effective in eliminating the security vulnerability. However, the “mitigating factors” and “workarounds” discussions in the original security bulletin did not clearly identify all the ports by which the vulnerability could potentially be exploited. Microsoft has updated this bulletin to more clearly enumerate the ports over which RPC services can be invoked and to ensure that customers who choose to implement a workaround before installing the patch have the information that they need to protect their systems. Customers who have already installed the patch are protected from attempts to exploit this vulnerability and need take no further action.

Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is a protocol that is used by the Windows operating system. RPC provides an inter-process communication mechanism that allows a program that is running on one computer to seamlessly run code on a remote computer. The protocol itself is derived from the Open Software Foundation (OSF) RPC protocol. The RPC protocol that is used by Windows includes some additional Microsoft-specific extensions.

Thanks to Hard OCP and Gaz_2_k for the heads up! Alot of people I know of are having this thing attack them.

Fix here.

the fucker got me....before i read of it, i ran windows update....started updateing windows then the bitch hit restarted my computer and now i can't get into my XP home install...

the loading windows XP home eddition screen comes on and then it just restarts my computer in a never ending loop...if anyone knows how to fix this and restore my windows without me loseing my files please help! PLEASE[/SIZE=14]

i've installed windows XP PRO on the same computer and that's what i'm useing now, but i can't access the folders from the XP home install, if anyone knows a way around this please let me know

Thanks for the heads up. This one had just hit me and was causing random reboots. Damn irritating!

You can manually download it at: Windows Fix. But you need access to a machine that is not having the problem. Boot your computer up without your internet connection plugged. in. Run the fix from a floppy, its only like 1 mb.

Same thing happened to me. It started this morning. My computer just kept rebooting. Then I just went into Start Help and Support clicked on Windows Update and downloaded everything but the first one and now my computer works fine. Although it did take me aboout 6 attempts to download and install these components and patches because my computer kept restarting.

yeah i got hit with this as well. posted on sharkyextreme and all the sudden a lot more people got it. then i knew it was a worm. seems fixed so far but we'll see.

i DON'T like this however "RPC provides an inter-process communication mechanism that allows a program that is running on one computer to seamlessly run code on a remote computer".

I set up Windows 2000 Pro the other day, and had the exact same problem.

I'd go to connect to the internet and it would just reboot...

:damn:

Good Timing.

Ya know, I spent most of today dealing with that virus on clients machines. Got alot new clients because of this virus too :D

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Aug 12, 2003 @ 10:06 PM

Ya know, I spent most of today dealing with that virus on clients machines. Got alot new clients because of this virus too :D

Yeah makes me wish I got some ads out sooner :)

Viruses are probably good for business.

It's nice when it's a big one, so the tools and such are readiliy availible

Back