BIG problem with SMALL pixels!

My Sega CD is dying, and I was hoping that maybe someone can help stopp it from it's fate.

See, my Sega CD (Model Two) is having problems with what seems to be loading graphics. Every so often, it screws up loading graphics, and will display partial graphics with a pixel or two showing up black or white.

I first noticed this problem in Lunar, when the machine had trouble loading a floor tile, so every square in which this tile showed up, a small 1 x 2 pixel white spot appeared in the corner. Which, when tiled, was really annoying. Other times, it would appear in one frame of Alex or someone else's walk-cycle, resulting in a flashing whit pixel that followed Alex until he entered a new screen.

It's not to big of a problem on Lunar, or even Snatcher, where it only shows itself in small little flickers, but on graphic heavy games, it can ruin any sort of enjoyment you wished to derive.

Take for example Mickey Mania. Every single sprite in that game flickers and screws up, making the game (While played on my dying Sega CD) a potential weapon against those suffering from epilepsy.

The flicker shows up on burned and non-urned games, yet doesn't show up on either Genesis or 32x games.

If anyone could help with this problem, it would be VERY VERY much appriciated!

is your CD part hooked up well to the Genesis?

try taking it apart and putting it back together -- and make sure the connecters aren't dirty or anything

Unconnected, cleaned with White Vinyl Eraser and Canned Air, reconnected, and it worked for about half a level of Mickey Mania, after which it slowly turned to crap again.

Next step, opening the Sega CD itself and cleaning...

I had a similar problem with my model2 SegaCD. In some games it would corrupt the FMV, filling them with random garbage blocks (think WMV files with errors). That happened quite often in Ecco: Tides of Time and Silpheed.

The problem would go away after some playtime, and I noticed the problem was with my model1 Genny, not my SegaCD, since everything worked fine when I tested it with a friend's model2 Genny.

and I noticed the problem was with my model1 Genny, not my SegaCD, since everything worked fine when I tested it with a friend's model2 Genny.

Thanks M3d10n! After reading your post, I decided to swap my Genny to a older Model 1 Genny, and it works fine!

I had this same problem with my Gen 2 and SCD2.

Blocky pixels and such esspecially on FMV games. The way I fixed this was to clean the connector(female) on the SCD where the Genesis plugs into it several times.

I used a piece of cardboard(right thickness) and cut to the width size and slid it in and out of the slot about 30-40 times, it cleaned off the oxidation on the contacts.

Back