BLUE SKY IN GAMES CAMPAIGN!

Not really. Despite the emergence of the 'urban' game type, 'serious' games have been common for a long time, and there are still plenty of cutesy platformer type games coming out if that's your thing. I'm not really a huge fan of the GTA-type setting, but it can be entertaining if done right. More importantly, I'm very glad that games are now allowed to explore more mature themes -- few have done so in what I would consider an adult manner, but I think the potential for games as an art form has increased thanks to the acceptance of GTA, Resident Evil, etc.

I hate losers like this. If you don't like games like GTA then don't buy them. There was an article on Richard & Judy saying that the PURPOSE of GTA was to sleep with prostitutes then kill them to get your money back. They then got children to say how they had played the game and give 'first hand accounts' of the game.

I dont know about in the states, but here the game is classified as 18 by the BBFC so it is illegal to sell it to underage children, and they get given it by parents. Computer games are still viewed as a childrens passtime by the majority.

Another stupid outcry recently was the hot coffee GTA patch, where you get to see animated sex with your girlfriend. The girlfriend part is probably the only legal section of the game, but created more fuss than drive-bys, murdering and theft. In the UK it is legal to have sex at 16, and the game is 18-rated so that was a REALLY stupid knee-jerk reaction.

"If its not rap, metal or films fault then it must be computer games fault" - Middle England Daily Mail reader #12833

I liked that link. It was funny and sincere (at least I think). It is tiresome to play "realistic" games all the live long day and playing more fantastically-themed games is always a nice alternative. I think (and hope) that "cute" games won't go away. In fact, I wish cute games were even cuter. I've been hearing great things about Dragon Quest VIII, as it's supposed to be old-school. I am currently home for Thanksgiving and I can vividly remember playing games like FF3 (aka FFVI) or other great SNES rpgs. I think I'll pull out my copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga and go for another spin. I would bust out Earthbound again but I've replayed that so many times I gotta pull out.

To sum, I understand how the "protesters" feel. And honestly I think gamers should play lighter fare from time to time to get a look at another emotional spectrum.

Originally posted by EliteEvi;@Thu, 2005-11-17 @ 01:10 PM

I hate losers like this. If you don't like games like GTA then don't buy them. There was an article on Richard & Judy saying that the PURPOSE of GTA was to sleep with prostitutes then kill them to get your money back. They then got children to say how they had played the game and give 'first hand accounts' of the game.

I dont know about in the states, but here the game is classified as 18 by the BBFC so it is illegal to sell it to underage children, and they get given it by parents. Computer games are still viewed as a childrens passtime by the majority.

Another stupid outcry recently was the hot coffee GTA patch, where you get to see animated sex with your girlfriend. The girlfriend part is probably the only legal section of the game, but created more fuss than drive-bys, murdering and theft. In the UK it is legal to have sex at 16, and the game is 18-rated so that was a REALLY stupid knee-jerk reaction.

"If its not rap, metal or films fault then it must be computer games fault" - Middle England Daily Mail reader #12833

[post=141843]Quoted post[/post]​

in the states we have a rating system but no one gives a shit ive seen 10 yr olds buyin 18+ games and i feel the same way u dont like it dont buy it theres still great games coming out that are different then gta or bully or whatever personally im sick of gta type games i play the crap out of 1,3, and vice city but that doesnt mean i dont want to see them it will never end though protesters will fight forever to get rid of doom gta or whatever else makes their 2 yr old kill 97 people with a coat hanger

I hate losers like this. If you don't like games like GTA then don't buy them.
If you think they're 100% serious about this, you need to read closer. There are various bits in the text that make it abundantly clear that they know that this is completely silly ("from now on, everyone wears red shoes", "replace gun textures with banana textures", and so on) and the followup article is all-out taking the piss out of themselves and Nintendo:

And the winner is... Nintendo! Its forthcoming DS game Animal Crossing: Wild World is the best at doing sky by miles, thanks to the DS having a whole separate screen just for doing sky!

Animal crossing might just own...online play aye? AC was never really well-suited for a console...

Anyways, just somethin to chew on and think about. You can have a movie or somthing where they blow up 100 people's heads, splattering blood everywhere and it get a pg13. You say fuck you get R. Not in all, but sme cases if you show a nipple slip it'll get ya R. Why is this? It's dumb and it's all backed by religious groups, old ladies who sit their lazy fat asses at home and need something to do and bitch about, and last but not least the political people who jump behind this for more votes ;).

Back