Boot disc?

I found an ftp with a boot disc for saturn, supposedly. Now IF this boot disk actually DOES work can somebody tell me how? All I know is that it is to be burned with clonecd. If anyone knows if this is real or some false hope. I have it on my ftp and if anyone wants to see if they can figure this thing out, email me and I'll give you an account that will be solely for downloading these files. There is no need to flame me if I seem like a gullible newbie (some of you seem to be highly volatile, and I know this question is pretty lame). Just wanna clear this up, and thanks a bunch.

It's an image of a disc software houses could use to test their software on regular Saturns without having to use pressed discs. To work on an unmodded Saturn the bootdisc must of course be a pressed original. (This question has also been answered several times here.)

The 'boot' disc, if it were an original with the security ring, allows you to boot third party games on CDRs. It allowed developers to test software easily.

The image you have is somewhat less useful as you'll need to swap to get it to work. However, once you have swapped you can continue to play CDR games without swapping again until you either power-down or reset the Saturn.

Beaten to it again...

I think that you'd need to fit an external switch to replace the lid switch though. The lid switch being taped wouldn't cut it.

If you can't 'open' the lid how do you return to the Saturn's menu and boot another game without resetting? (I'm being a bit rhetorical here)

Originally posted by mal@July 20 2002, 3:35 am

I think that you'd need to fit an external switch to replace the lid switch though. The lid switch being taped wouldn't cut it.

If you can't 'open' the lid how do you return to the Saturn's menu and boot another game without resetting?

I don't think I get it......I'm probly too tired right now, but the first time you posted (this is directed to Mal by the way), it sounded as though if you don't power down or reset the system (I was assuming hitting the reset button). The second post sounded like it was contradictory to even itself.

If you can't 'open' the lid how do you return to the Saturn's menu and boot another game without resetting?

If it can run multiple games in a session as long as you don't power down or reset? Then, how do you play multiple games. In order to recognize a new game don't you need to reset?

*begins thinking*

Or do you mean a switch that will basically "trick" the saturn into thinking it was reset? (I am SO confused, AND tired right now) Perhaps its just bedtime and I'll try to figure out what you said tomorrow.

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

To swap you need to tape the switch together to trick the Saturn into thinking you aren't opening the lid.

To play a second game without resetting or powering down I think you'd need to be able to 'tell' the Saturn that the door is open and return you to the menu.

You could fit a new switch to replace the lid switch. This way you'd keep the connection closed (Saturn thinks door closed) while swapping and could open the connection (Saturn thinks door is open) when wanting to return to the menu screen.

Keep in mind this is theoretical on my part. I haven't done it. I could be talking out my arse.

I've got a mod. :
wink.gif
:

I'll probly just go modding my extra Sturn I bought at a garage sale anyway. It just seems like it'll be easier. Hopefully it won't kill it off. I've had a psx die that way. My friend's was on a similar path, but it got better. It's like they got neumonia and mine wasn't so lucky.

A burned boot disc isn't neccessary and wont accomplish anything only an orignal with teh sega security code on it will do something as many many many previous posts have metioned,

You can always go back to the CD player screen with the magic ABC+START (did ya forgot that, Mal?).

The only game that has problems with that is Guardian Heroes, that uses XYZ+START as reset command.

actually once the boot disc loads it puts you at the sega logo with the word "completed" at the top of the screen and no abc start doesn't work as a soft reset at that time. i tried buring it to a 210meg cdr (the business card size) and putting it in the saturn and placing an original of vf2 (my all purpose swap disc) on top of it, half the time it'd jump to the bios screen and say "no disc loaded" and the other half of the time it'd jump to the bios screen and say "choose cd+g channel"

so no dice on that front. though as i have 4 more that i'll never use i think imma find a hella tiny iso only (afterburner 3 or something) and burn it to one and try it again, see if i can get a swapfree boot on.

Originally posted by M3d10n+July 21 2002, 10:30 am--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(M3d10n @ July 21 2002, 10:30 am)</div><div class='quotemain'>You can always go back to the CD player screen with the magic ABC+START (did ya forgot that, Mal?).

The only game that has problems with that is Guardian Heroes, that uses XYZ+START as reset command.[/b]

I thought that only reset back to the start of the game, not back to the Saturn's menus.

<!--QuoteBegin-Subura
@July 21 2002, 6:42 am

A burned boot disc isn't neccessary and wont accomplish anything only an orignal with the sega security code on it will do something as many many many previous posts have metioned,[/quote]

I believe it does if you swap to run the boot disc.

ABC+START works much like CTRL+ALT+DEL in Windows. Press it more than once, and you're done.

Once you're in the game title screen, usually pressing ABC+Start will take you back to CD-player screen. Just pick a game and try to press ABCStart frantically to see what happens.

Exactly like in the Sega CD.

Back