Bowling for Columbine

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think you are right Lyzel. With all the shit going down in the world, notably the recent events in Russia, all Bush has to do is mumble "terrorism" (or even "tourism" which sounds suspiciously similar) and wham-bam, that'll be the majority of the vote thank-you-very-much.

That and probably no President in the history of your country has ever had such solid Evangelical Christian support.

Originally posted by Xavier+Sep 8, 2004 @ 12:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier @ Sep 8, 2004 @ 12:52 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Who cares if they approve again its not thier country .

As long as we don't offend them which Bush has done to many places .

Oh well .[/b]

How would you feel if the leader of another country invaded other nations when he felt like it and totally ignored your suggestions or just plain bullied you into submission? I don't think anyone here would like that very much. We especially wouldn't like it if we were the country being invaded and occupied. Basically, for better or for worse, the President of the United States is quite possibly the most powerful person on the planet whose policies could easily effect anyone and everyone in the world. And you're going to tell me people in other countries don't have an interest in who fills that position?

Originally posted by Xavier+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Xavier)</div><div class='quotemain'>Sorry to say , guess you'll be moving to Canada Quadriflax .

[/b]

That was more of a joke than anything else. Though it is only a few hours away.

<!--QuoteBegin-mountaindud
@

That is almost the same thing I said, only with a thick, thick, THICK sugar coating.

Instead of 'Americans' I should have said 'the vast majority of Americans'.
[/quote]

I don't really know that I sugar coated that, but I guess it could have been much, much worse. And I know you didn't mean all Americans, but I like to make sure to clear these things up. I've been to places where they do mean all Americans. I guess they don't realize that over half the people that voted in 2000 didn't vote for this guy, and at least half now don't approve of him. I also could be biased as far as Canada is concerned because I'm closer to Canada than I am Texas (physically and politically).

<!--QuoteBegin-Lyzel

Just because we see protestors chanting ill remarks about the President, does not mean most of the world hates him. He may be unpopular in some countries, but who cares? He is not running their country. Besides, most that hate him are against wars. This can be said for just about any Head of State. You will always have people with this mindset.

Anyways... Lighten up. Think positively...
[/quote]

I love that attitude. Who cares what the rest of the world thinks of our leader? Who cares that some of these people are so angry with us they want to kill us all? You aren't the least bit concerned about what people think of our nation? You don't care that we look like a war-mongering, arrogant, ignorant, power-mad nation without any morals? As far as what goes on in these borders, maybe not. But because we're all over the place and in everyone's face (or could be in a heartbeat) we should, as a nation, be much more concerned about how other countries view us. Especially when they're willing to come over here and blow us all up.

Do I have all the answers? No. Does John Kerry? No. Does anyone? No. But we all have ideas. That's why we're supposed to debate and discuss these things and come up with compromises and plans of action. That includes domestically and internationally. And I think that's something this administration fails at miserably. When people shut themselves off from alternate and opposing opinions, they lose perspective and become dangerous. Nevermind everything else that's going on.

But, yeah, you're right. Maybe I should just "lighten up" and let things happen. I mean, nothing bad ever happens when you don't question your leader, right?

Getting into this a little late, but oh well.

As to the comment, "Who cares if they approve?" Well in this modern time of global economies, and a needed global effort to fight social causes that are ignored, support is vital. Do to Bush's stance on steel tarrifs, the US had the EU threatening a boucott. That bad. We have social concerns like Aids in Africa, that requires a global effort. Hell, even the "War on terror" requires everyone working together. Having a president that distances himself and isolates our country is dangerous. Many may think the US controls the UN, but as we say with Iraq, it doesn't.

To a certain extent, Lyzel's "who cares if they approve" attitude is right - the US is afterall the 800 pound gorilla of the world and can sit where it damn well chooses. However, this attitude outside of America is not good for America.

I think I can say, for example, that the vast majority of Australians have no respect for Bush. We collectively cringe everytime he makes a comment that is in support of our own leader, we laugh and mock every time he says something stupid (and make a point of finding these stupid things) and he is the butt of many jokes. Frankly, as the international face of your country he is an abject failure. He reinforces every negative stereotype that has ever been cast upon American people.

But as you say Lyzel, who cares? It's not like I vote for the man.

Originally posted by Curtis@Sep 8, 2004 @ 08:38 AM

I think I can say, for example, that the vast majority of Australians have no respect for Bush. We collectively cringe everytime he makes a comment that is in support of our own leader, we laugh and mock every time he says something stupid (and make a point of finding these stupid things) and he is the butt of many jokes. Frankly, as the international face of your country he is an abject failure. He reinforces every negative stereotype that has ever been cast upon American people.

I second that curtis,

the way our prime minister bends over backwards for bush makes me feel like i need to apologize to other countries for the way our "leader" has acted in the global community.

The funny thing with those polling numbers... They only poll what they call "likely voters," or people who voted in both of the last two presidentail elections.

An article in my local paper last Thursday had numbers from 18 to 25 year olds. The article was about how one of the biggest concerns among 18 to 25 year olds was the possibility of a military draft. Only 43% of those surveyed said they'd be willing to go if drafted. 20% said they'd seek deferrments to avoid going. 32% of those surveyed said they would outright refuse to go. And while both canidates claim they won't start a draft, 45% of Americans believe a draft is MORE LIKELY if Bush is reelected, while only 15% believe a draft is more likely under Kerry.

It looks to me like Kerry will win, thanks to those of us too young to be considered "likely voters."

I still don't think Kerry is the right man for the job. But I do believe him to be the lesser of two evils. I believed Bush to be the lesser of two evils four years ago, but never expected something like 9-11 to happen and give him full riegn to basicaly repeal the Bill of Rights (except for the second amendment, god forbid the Republicans touch that one, but freedom of speech, religion, asssembly, civil liberties, freedom from unreasonable search and seizure, freedom from torture as an interrogation tool, those went right out the window). Sigh...

Yup. Kerry is currently ahead in the polls amongst registered voters, while Bush is ahead amongst 'likely voters'. So things could pretty much go either way at this point depending on the turnout. Now is truly the time for young people to mobilize.

Originally posted by it290@Sep 8, 2004 @ 06:03 PM

........Now is truly the time for young people to mobilize.

Yes we need to rise up and overcome by voting for Ralph Nader!

Yes we do. I am going to vote Kerry but living in a HUGE republican state (utah) I doubt it'll do much. But it'd be insane to have Kerry win our state's votes. The old people and them ormon's would shit their happy pants.

Originally posted by Curtis@Sep 8, 2004 @ 01:38 PM

He reinforces every negative stereotype that has ever been cast upon American people.

And you know what? That's only your opinion, your beliefs, etc, etc. Please don't speak like you know what is best for the American people. Many americans would disagree with you... Actually, probably 50-60% of Americans do.

Lyzel, 'speaking like you know what's best for the American people' is exactly what you have been doing, every bit as much as Curtis.

Originally posted by it290@Sep 9, 2004 @ 03:08 AM

Lyzel, 'speaking like you know what's best for the American people' is exactly what you have been doing, every bit as much as Curtis.

How so? I don't believe he has any rights to make such comments when 50% or so of the People DO support this President. That's a fact by the current polls going around.

In truth, I don't understand one bit what is wrong with your country. My friends and I often discuss the political situation in the US and it seems to be getting more and more out of hand. If someone like Bush can win a second term in office, what does that say about your country?

In truth, I don't think the pols matter at this point. Bush is going to "win" again just like he "won" the last time. I'm starting to wonder how much truth there are to the conspiracy theories. I don't know how omany of you remember that guy that claimed to be a time traveller but he said there would be an American revolution shortly after the elections this Novermber, and as silly as it sounds, the conditions are getting there.

How many of you can ever remember a political enviornment like the present? Hating the president and administration seems to have become a trend. Green Day just released a whole album based on this. The alternative to Bush is another, worn out, backwards-thinking, elitist, with much of the same policies and practices as Bush.

The more I look ahead the more scared I become. America is not popular around the world and as a country you couldn't have strayed farther from what you were founded upon. Big business now rules the roost, dictating every aspect of life, and it appears to only be getting worse.

I'm sorry if I seem anti-American because in truth I am not, but as an observer I need to get this off my chest. The situation in US domestic politics is more dire then one would imagine and with the growing emergence of China as a global power, the world is not as stable as one would assume. But maybe I'm just being pessimistic.

Originally posted by Lyzel@Sep 8, 2004 @ 02:59 PM

And you know what? That's only your opinion, your beliefs, etc, etc. Please don't speak like you know what is best for the American people. Many americans would disagree with you... Actually, probably 50-60% of Americans do.

Maybe I should make that last bit clearer: From my non American point of view, Bush re-enforces every negative stereotype. 50-60% of Americans support him? More like 50-60% of the voting American public, which is in some states less than 50% of the potential voters.

Besides, I'm not talking about Bush from an American point of view. My views on his representation of your country are hardly limted to me or even people in my country.

How so? I don't believe he has any rights to make such comments when 50% or so of the People DO support this President. That's a fact by the current polls going around.

50% of the voting American people Lyzel. American population != world population.

My bad, I meant 50% of the voting American people.

Anyways, what I was trying to say in a nutshell is that your comments seem too self-righteous.

Originally posted by crystalmethod@Dec 29, 2002 @ 06:14 PM

I found the little "brief history of america" interlude to be quite amusing.  It looked like it was from South Park but I wasn't sure.  I'm no a fan of the show.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

yeah that cartoon was classic. one thing about the movie, it sure makes Canada sound like the most kick ass place to live!!! <_<

We're still located above you know who, though. What gets me about the american stereotype is that they think that they are so fully aware of absolutley everything, when in reality, they are totally clueless.

We had to learn about the USA in high school. Did the USA have to learn about us? Did they have to learn about anyone but themselves?

Total egotists..

Yech.. *spits*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back