Broadband over power lines goes commercial

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
A power company in Cincinnati, Ohio is offering broadband connections to the Internet over electric lines. Customers can connect at either 1, 2 or 3 million bits per second. Unlike existing services over telephone lines, the speeds for downloading and uploading data are the same. To connect to the Internet, a user plugs a power-line modem into a nearby mains power point and connects it to their PC or laptop with a USB connection. According to the company, the power-line broadband service is available to nearby customers in Ohio, Indiana and Kentucky. For details see http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,116357,00.asp

Give me! Give me! :)

Originally posted by Brad Grimes@Jun 03, 2004

Another hurdle: BPL may interfere with radio signals. The Federal Communications Commission is considering rules to forestall such problems, but those rules won't be finalized for months.

Man, the ham radio operators are going to be pissed.

Were getting powerline soon in here maybe by Sept along with UMTS, its great for those region that are far away from the telephone centrals and can´t get ADSL.

The best part about BPL, is the cost and potential. You have the potential of getting service even to remote areas. And if you read the article, the company in Cinci is selling it for cheap, $40 for a 3/3.

You have the potential of getting service even to remote areas.

Yeah, if the power company wants to install the necessary repeaters and such to get a usable signal to your location.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 15, 2004 @ 05:35 PM

Yeah, if the power company wants to install the necessary repeaters and such to get a usable signal to your location.

Some rural areas still have power coops that will fight for it, they've already done it somewhere here in VA. Boondocksville, I believe. The amateur radio people sure are F'd unless they start insulating the lines a lot better (yeah, that'll happen). Anyway, it would be good to get an alternative to non-existant DSL and overpriced mediocre cable here.

I wonder how well it actually works in real world situations with many users.

Does it cause interference with any other electrical devices or possibly vice versa? It certainly is great to see something coming out that can give more competition to cable and DSL to lower prices.

We pay 50 bucks a month for 768K up and down.

Back