Broadband service

schi0249

Mid Boss
I have a couple questions for all you broadband users:

1. What type of service do you have (DSL, Cable, etc.)?

2. What bandwidth do you subscribe to? Does your ISP offer multiple tiers?

3. What do you generally get for bandwidth?

4. How much do you spend?

5. Do you have residential service or commercial/business service?

Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

1. Cable internet, from Adelphia. They suck.

2. They have two levels. The normal one is 3 mbits downstream, 256 kbits upstream. However, for nearly twice the price (around $80), I can get 4mbits/512kbits. Give me a break.

3. This is the funny part. My upstream is properly capped, but I get between 3 and 3.5 mbits down. Sometimes more.

4. Too much. $45 a month *not including* modem lease. I own a cable modem, saves me roughly $5 a month.

5. Residential.

One final note: I have no viable alternatives. So I deal with it. I am hoping that in the near future cable lines will be opened up, but if not I might be able to get DSL in another 20 or 30 years.

Originally posted by schi0249@Apr 21, 2004 @ 03:02 PM

I have a couple questions for all you cable modem users:

1. What type of service do you have (DLS, Cable, etc.)?

Also, you'll want to change "cable modem users" to "broadband users", and "DLS" to "DSL"

1. DSL

2. 1.5 Megabit up/down. The ISP itself doesn't offer multiple tiers, but Qwest (who provides the line) does... their 'standard' package is only 256k. Not as fast as cable but still fast enough, and cheaper if you don't have cable TV (which I have no interest in).

3. Pretty reliable at 1.5 both ways, although it varies with the site. Latency is also super low for online gaming.

4. 29 for the line, 25 for the ISP (Dimensional Communications/Forethought).. it's a little higher than average but I don't mind, because they are an excellent ISP and don't meddle in their user's affairs.. they have no problem with people running servers, and your IP is pretty much completely static.

5. Residential. The 'commercial' service is more, even though it's the same thing.

1. DSL

2. 512/128

3. 450

4. 45€ :damn: :damn: :damn:

5. Residential

I will change that in 2 monthes (25€ for 2048)

1) Cable

2) 3 Megabit down, less for up, from Time Warner. If they haven't already started, they're going to have multiple tiers. If you want more you'll be able to buy more. But what that costs and how much more you get, I dunno.

3) I used to get the full 10 Megabits and regular d/ls of 900k/sec. But now since the cap (and subsequent 50% "increase") I get around 300k/sec. When it's not down, it's usually quite fast. And it doesn't go down a whole lot. The news servers suck though, and the binaries posts are constantly incomplete. They'll fix it, but then it'll go back down again.

4) $40/month with basic cable package, $45/month without.

5) Residential.

DSL - 512/128 Down/Up.

I won't bother you with the provider, but it costs me $60AUD a month. For that I get a 4Gb "peak" cap, and a 4Gb "off peak" cap per month. Going over that slows me to 72/128, and going over it by a lot gets me a 33/128 connection for the rest of the month. I do get a bunch of "quota free" zones that have plenty of decent (legal) material though.

Pretty standard stuff in Australia really.

Don't sound to standard to me Curtis, I'd be getting pretty pissed off, here I got 3 down, 128 up, and no b/w limits. I roughly do close to a hundred gb down a month, of course on legal stuff though ;)

Originally posted by Curtis@Apr 22, 2004 @ 10:07 AM

DSL - 512/128 Down/Up.

I won't bother you with the provider, but it costs me $60AUD a month. For that I get a 4Gb "peak" cap, and a 4Gb "off peak" cap per month. Going over that slows me to 72/128, and going over it by a lot gets me a 33/128 connection for the rest of the month. I do get a bunch of "quota free" zones that have plenty of decent (legal) material though.

Pretty standard stuff in Australia really.

My deal is similar to the one Curtis has - IIRC we have the same ISP. :)

However I have 16GB peak and 16GB off peak caps and I think it costs me $80AUD per month.

Originally posted by schi0249@Apr 21, 2004 @ 10:02 AM

1. Verizon DSL

2. up to* 1.5/128 (what i get is 768/128, i don't think it ever has been 768 up, i think your numbers are wrong dyne... if not i envy you)

3. what I get is 712/136

4. $30/month

5. residential

Big plus for Verizon....Unlimited download/upload to newsgroups on there own news server....used to carry many of the binary news groups but recently dropped 5-10 of the biggest ones to supposedly cut down on the traffic while they upgrade their end of the deal to be able to handle the load.....we'll see in time if they bring them back...i'm very happy with my service though.

God, Broadband in Britain is a rip off.

ntl: charge £25 a month, for a Cable connection that is 600/128kbps.

It's £38 for 1Mbit/256kbps!

1. Rogers Cable

2. They got two types. Fast and slow (cheaper). (I have the fast one)

3. Generally it tops out at 5mbit down and 1mbit up.

4. It's about $40 Canadian but I get it for $35 because I also get digital cable.

5. And it's residential.

They used to be part of the now dead @home network and was one of three cable ISPs on that network that actually made any money from it. Get great newsgroup speed (generally can manage a sustained 3.5-4mbit) not to mention 5 email addresses with 10mb of webspace for each. Oh and that price includes the modem rental too.

1. RoadRunner Cable :cheers

2. guarenteed 1500/300 kbit: not sure of multi-tiers status; afaik its only 1 service, and the cable TV service, and a discount on them if you have both.

3. 2000/300, as much as 2773 kbit down.

4. its $45 per month including modem.

5. Residential.

yep. RR is pretty good, maybe a bit on the pricey side, but since no DSL is available here, and the nature of Satellite signals (ping times, and weather), and our craptacular phone line quality, its no contest. as for service, anytime we had a problem, we let them know, and if we went a day or 2 without service, that was creditted to our bill.

1. Cable

2. I believe now they're offering some kind of upper tier, or at least will be, but I subscribe to their standard 3000(d)/256(u) plan.

3. I usually get 100% of what they advertise (3000), provided that I'm downloading from a fast server.

4. 39.99

5. Residential.

ADSL

512/128 (I have no idea what multiple tiers are)

350/80 pretty low they are going to upgrade, soon I´ll have the bandwidth back.

50 Euros per month (no download limits but some ports are now capped until the upgrade)

Residential

There I won I have the worst most expensive broadband service :smokin:

I win the least reliable award. Random days my latency gets so bad, I'd be better off with reasonable dialup. It's not right when people on Steam ask you "How the heck can you play like that???".

Back