Broken SegaCD model 2

Well, my SegaCD, which used to work, is now on the fritz. It doesn't respond in most cases at all, it just sits there...

However, if I turn on the Genesis for approximately 2 seconds, then turn it off and turn it on again after around 3-4 seconds, the access light on the system will come on for a brief (1/2 second) period of time.

Does anyone have any ideas what is wrong with it, and if so, is there any way to fix it?

Thanks much.

Sarge out.

Clean the contacts really really really good.

I had the same problem with my Sega CD 2 when I first hooked it up.

Cleaned it some, it started to work, would be fine in parts, blocky in other parts on the screen.

Cleaned it some more and it started working fine, and ever since.

I had to use a thin piece of cardboard(the kind on the back of legal notepads)

cut to the same width as the connector opening on the side, soaked with rubbing alcohol. Push it in and out twenty to thirty times, see if it cleans up the contacts.

I'll try cleaning it heavily. In the meantime, where is the microfuse located? I'm not having a whole lot of luck locating schematics or anything...

Thanks much for the help.

Sarge out.

i have exactly the same problem!!! i cleaned al the connectors but it still doesn't do anything.

Please help me 2

p.s. where is the microfuse and how does it look like when it's blown

but how can i test if it is the fuse? is there a easyer way to test this??

ik have a mega drive mark 1and en mega cd mark 2

should work right? :huh:

The fuse is mounted on the motherboard near the back (where the audio connectors are located). It looks like a green or yellow resistor, but is slightly larger than normal. Test it out by shorting it out with a piece of wire or aligator clips. If the unit works with it shorted, you've got a faulty fuse.

This has been brought up once or twice before...do a search.

BTW if your SCD powers up (either the access light blinks or you get some SCD stuff on screen) then the fuse is FINE. The only time you'd suspect the fuse is if the SCD will no respond to anything and just appears dead. As for it's location it's about 1 cm away from the SCD's power connector. It's a green sasuage shaped thingy just under 1 cm in length. It can be replaced with any 1A fuse (even the bigger ones). And like curtis said to test to see it it really has blown you can wrap a wire around the two ends and see if the SCD powers up like that. Just don't use this method forever or you could cause more expensive and irreplacable bits to burn out next time you get a power surge.

the microfuse is labeled as F301 and is green but since your sega cd does respond the fuse is fine as the previous posts stated clean the connectors on both the genesis and the sega cd that should fix things up nicely

Back