burning with a pentium 200mmx?

Hi guys, I have a megacd2 and some isos in my harddrive so I decided to buy a cd writer but I have read that the new ones require a pentium II at 300mhz. What can i do? My computer is quite old: pentium 200mmx with 128mb of RAM.

dont use the highest speed of the writer and just try it when your not using the pc

i have burnt cds on a 2x writer on a pentium 100 with 16mb of ram, so you should be safe with maybe 8X writing, maybe faster

also you can try brunimg the iso in linux (or under dos)

i do used to do mine in Red Hat Linux on my 200MMX computer (overclocked from 166)

Ok, so I can buy a new cd writer but I should not burn too fast. Thank you guys
wink.gif

Yes Logan_GBC, you are right, you need lots of resources under windows and you can do the same in Linux and in dos with less hardware.

I remember when I installed red hat 6.1 (long time ago) and I compiled the core and it ran great, but I had to reinstall windows. Then I installed Mandrake 7.2 and Windows 98, both together and it was great until I had to reinstall again windows. Now, I only have windows
sad.gif

I burn on a P166 with 32MB of RAM. I can go up to 4x as long as I don't breathe anywhere near it.
wink.gif

Getting and older SCSI based drive (they only go up to about 8x) will make every burn easy. I had no buffer underruns when using my old 233MMX and a Panasonic/Matsushita 4x SCSI burner.

one suggestion is to hit ctrl-alt-del b4 burning and shut off everything except systray + explorer and then run your burn app. this will let you get some more speed and more stability outta yur machine.

Originally posted by Logan_GBC@June 20 2002,21:38

also you can try brunimg the iso in linux (or under dos)

i do used to do mine in Red Hat Linux on my 200MMX computer (overclocked from 166)

linux would be fesiable if it had a version of scdconv for burning megacd stuff

which i dont beleive it does, i know satconv was ported though

Originally posted by Curtis@June 20 2002,22:20

Getting and older SCSI based drive (they only go up to about 8x) will make every burn easy. I had no buffer underruns when using my old 233MMX and a Panasonic/Matsushita 4x SCSI burner.

I've had my 8x SCSI burner for 2 years now, love it
heart.gif
. Currently, SCSI burners go up to 24x (e.g., Yamaha CRW3200SXZ external CD-RW 24x10x40).

Yeah, well I'm a bit out of the loop when it somes to current SCSI technology. I'm still using my old 4x burner - I love it too
smile.gif
heart.gif

Search for something like the external hp 8230 cd-rw 4x/2x/24x (for usb port), they are pretty cheap right now (even the 8x one)
smile.gif

Can't help but have a feeling of deja vu.

I've got an external SCSI 8x Matsushita and wouldn't trade it for anything. The only thing that I can't seem to burn are Clone CD images, and with CDmage I don't even have to worry about them.
biggrin.gif

Back