Burning with iso/mp3

Hello. I am Aeris. I have heard that burning with iso/mp3 is unreliable and that bin/cue is the only way to go. Are iso/mp3 discs really that bad? I would like to burn a cd of USA elportal Snatcher for use on my friend's Japanese Mega-CD (if that is possible). If you can give me any advice, that would be great. Cheers

...I thought someone would have answered this better than what I can

If you can get a bin/cue, grab it...

it's just so much easier to burn, and will save you a lot of grey hairs

The problem I have found with iso+mp3 is that

You never really know what you're getting

Unfortunately, most of the ones I've seen had the same problems as Snatcher (but not all)

I have an out-of-sync Lunar, and I refuse to play the game until I can buy and dump the real deal

The cue sheets are rarely included with iso+mp3s

You can write your own, but without knowing the particular index times, pregaps, etc., by using a .cue from an ISO+MP3 dump from an original disc, it doesn't really help

Not all CD audio-to-mp3 rippers are the same

...as evidenced by elportal's version of Snatcher

The times weren't correct to begin with. I wonder if that dump is actually an iso+mp3 copy of... an iso+mp3 copy of.... etc, since the track times were so off-kilter

Because audio segments are cued & called from the game on what time they appear on disc, if some tracks are off by several seconds, that might cause problems

...this is all just my opinion, I don't claim to be a know it all... I could be wrong on many points here

Generally, I don't like to deal with burning iso+mp3 unless I have no other choice. It's not that I feel the audio quality is bad, I've never been as satisfied with the burns as those from a .bin/.cue

If it plays well in perfect sync in Gens, then I do a burn

I think where most of the burning/sync problems come from, is that the audio tracks are not the correct lengths in seconds...so even if the cue is good, it won't matter, it'll still be out of sync

Not sure if the iso would be needed to be converted to Japanese using SCDCONV (or if it can), if you're sending it to someone with a Jap SCD... I must admit I have not tried that

Hope this helps somewhat. You could always burn and try it in Gens before you send it

Eidleon's Inn has a Japanese Sega CD BIOS, I think

Thanks, guys. Some helpful info there. The big problem for me now is to burn a US Snatcher disc that will play on a Japanese Mega CD. Ufortunately SCDCONV doesn't do US to JP territory conversion yet. Any ideas? Thanks again

Back