California censoring textbooks

I was 'rousing the net and found this little nugget of joy:

Language polic bar 'old,' 'blind'

I don't know about you kids, but things like this just make me want to scream at the top of my lungs and break things.....
damn.gif

You gotta be kidding me?!

Politically correct stuff just irritates the hell out of me. Can't people see the political correctness actually hinders things?

Ackh I know what you mean Iceman, don't even get me started
tongue.gif

I am so tired of feeling I can't live my own life... Maybe I should move to the UK..
ohmy.gif

There is not as much corruption there in the U.S. is there?

cheers m8 :cheers hehehe

I wouldn't exactly say censoring textbooks is 'corrupt'. And the UK's probably not that much different, but people arent generally as fat..

They were talking about this on MSNBC a few weeks ago -- it's pretty laughable what words they can't use and what they do to replace them.

Did you know they don't refer to George Washington, Ben Franklin, and all those as "founding fathers" anymore? It's supposedly sexist. They are called "framers" now. What a bunch of crap.

I can't wait to move from CA
damn.gif

Originally posted by Myname@Jun 5, 2003 @ 03:15 PM

I wouldn't exactly say censoring textbooks is 'corrupt'. And the UK's probably not that much different, but people arent generally as fat..

I was kinda adding my problems with my community and cops into that
tongue.gif

Sorry I didn't mean that... But the Freedom of speech is lacking highly.

Jaded God, if freedom is what you want stay here. There are not many other countries with as many freedoms as ours.

try living in germany, where blood and violence in videogames and movies is censored or completely forbidden, and where german and especially import games that did not receive an age rating in germany are only for adults. that's right, mario bros. for NES may only be sold to adults over here as of 2 months ago, because it never received a rating in germany.

Come to Australia - our leader(s) are tools, but at least I can say that.
tongue.gif

oh...and modchips are legal
laugh.gif

Dunno... I see so much of those "weird new law from USA bans <insert something here>" or the "man/woman was lawsuited/arrested due to <instert super stupid reason here>" going on that I still fail to see in what USA is so more "free" them all other countries out there.

...and sea can't be used in case a student lives inland and doesn't grasp the concept of a large body of water.

WTF? Oh, I understand!

"Let's protect our children from making questions to their parents/teachers and risking getting a not-perfect, politically correct, answer, by not exposing them to things they might ask questions about."

It's the spoonfeeding concept going overboard.

The way I hear it, there's a couple in Texas that's responsible for some ridiculous portion of this kind of fucking tomfoolery. They've made it their mission in life or something, I guess...

Dunno... I see so much of those "weird new law from USA bans <insert something here>" or the "man/woman was lawsuited/arrested due to <instert super stupid reason here>" going on that I still fail to see in what USA is so more "free" them all other countries out there.

Well, it doesn't take much to be able to bring a lawsuit, but that doesn't mean the plaintiff will win. Also, there are some pretty silly local laws. Still, I think a substantial part of the problem is that freedom in this country is viewed as something to be enshined in principle, not exemplified in practice. The federal government is far from totalitarian, but there does seem to have been a slow authoritarian slide in the past 6 years or so (or maybe it's been going on longer and I've only started noticing it).

Originally posted by ExCyber@Jun 6, 2003 @ 11:42 PM

but there does seem to have been a slow authoritarian slide in the past 6 years or so (or maybe it's been going on longer and I've only started noticing it).

It's been gaining momentum and speeding up the more progress it makes. Where the hell are we going to be in 2008 after another term of Bush? I shudder to think.

/not getting started.

edit: oh, and I've toyed with the idea of trying to get some absurd term banned from books. A term like "war" should be replaced with "disagreement." And all instances of the word "tool" should be removed because it is a slang term for male genitalia and therefore a sexist term. Some bullshit like that. I need to find someone smarter to help me on my quest. The more words I can think of the better, just to prove a point. Then I'll write a book on my experience and make $10.

Back