Calling with the NetLink by using Skype?

When I woke up this morning I got a really crazy idea,but it might work!! :thumbs-up:

I have just bought myself a Net Link for my saturn,I have not yet recieved the package so I have not been able to test my hypothesis

Before I go on I just want to say that I KNOW! a LOT of people have tried in various ways to use their computer modem or broadband connection to surf the web or play games with their Netlink in order to cut down on the very expensive long distance calls that is required when using the netlink

BUT this idea is a bit different,since(if it works!),you will still have to pay for the call but it will be MUCH less expensive! :banana

Ok,now when this is said,lets move on to presenting my crazy idea :)

I am using Skype and as you perhaps already know both Skype and several other suppliers of this kind of service offers the ability to not only make calls to other computers but also to dial regular phone numbers(if you pay for the calls)This service is called Skype Out and if I were to call a friend in Brazil I would practicully get charged the same amount as if I were to call my buddy next door :D (nice!)

So this is the point:Of course you can not use your Netlink with skype without some extra hardware BUT today we have several devices on the market that allowes you to use a regular phone on you computer using Skype(or any other company that supports this kind of technology)

If you don not know what kind of device I am talking about try this link:,it´s one of several houndred devices that are being sold on e-bay,of course you can buy this kind of stuff in regular shops as well http://cgi.ebay.com/Skype-SIP-IAX-Tri-Mode...1QQcmdZViewItem

This kind of USB to Phone devices uses the same protocol as your regular phone and therefore should be compatible with the Netlink! :thumbs-up:

You should just need to plug in the Netlink and dial the numer to your gaming buddy in Russia(or where ever he/she is!)and still just pay a small fee that would almost be equal to a local phonecall :smokin:

As I said before I do not currently have a netlink to try this on so I would really appreciate if someone out there would like to give it a try and let the rest of us know if it worked :)

what do you guys think? sure this could work,do´nt you think?? :huh

The only problem is that the compression that Skype uses is likely to interfere with the modem communication, since it's not lossless. It might work though. Does Skype support making data calls with their service? If they do, it should be fine. If not, the only way to find out is to test it. I have a hunch it won't work, though.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2005-10-03 @ 11:42 PM

The only problem is that the compression that Skype uses is likely to interfere with the modem communication, since it's not lossless. It might work though. Does Skype support making data calls with their service? If they do, it should be fine. If not, the only way to find out is to test it. I have a hunch it won't work, though.

[post=140225]Quoted post[/post]​

Hmm,You´re right...

Sometimes their compression even makes it a pain in the ass just to make an ordinarie phonecall so there must become really painful to use the Netlink those times that the speed of the broadband connection is a bit slow and the signal is unstable... :/

I´m not sure if it support data calls,I´ll try to find out :)

when I get my Netlink I´ll give it a try though and if I manage to get it to work( well,miracles DO happen :D ) ,I´ll let you all know! :smokin:

Originally posted by Quick Man@Tue, 2005-10-04 @ 10:05 PM

Mind telling us where you got your NetLink and if they'll ship to the UK? I'm desperate to get my hands on a NetLink.

[post=140261]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey man! Always happy to see a fellow gamer from Europe! :)

I live in Sweden so I have sort of the same problem in finding someone that both sells what I am looking AND offers to ship it to europe :/

However the Netlink that I bought was from e-bay and not from a regular store... It was the special netlink Game Pak edition(the one that included both the netlink,the webbrowser 3.0 and the Netlink editions of Sega rally and Virtual on and that was only sold through Sega of Americas Website)

It was brand new,factory sealed and I won it for 66$ ( a bit overpriced in comparsion to that only 2 years ago you could buy it for about 20 bucks on big sale-outs in shops across america,but in my opinion well worh it! :D )

I´ve been searching the web like crazy the last couple of weeks to try finding a webshop that stills have them in stock(but to no vain)

Yesterday only I spent more than 6 hours of just browsing around looking for the Netlink in various online stores :damn:

What I have managed to find though ,are several places that still has both the Netlink Mouse and the Netlink keyborad adapter for quite fair prices :D

the mouse costed 8$ brand new ,factory selaled at this place: http://www.vintagefunworld.com/items.asp?ID=72 I have placed an order a few days ago and there was no problem for them to ship to Sweden so it should be fine for those in the UK as well)

And the Netlink Keyborad adapter can be found on this site: http://www.ncsxshop.com/cgi-bin/shop/80120.html

I am constantly on lookout for netlinks so if you have an e-mail I can reach you on I´ll contact you as soon as I finds a place that sells them :)

Heh nice with a fellow swede , maybe if one beautiful day ill get a netlink we can play japanese Virtua fighter remix with netlink support:)

Originally posted by Mr^Burns@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 07:44 AM

Heh nice with a fellow swede , maybe if one beautiful day ill get a netlink we can play japanese Virtua fighter remix with netlink support:)

[post=140411]Quoted post[/post]​

Hey a Swede!

Wow!that would be absolutely awesome!!

I have plans on starting a eoropean netlink community,I know there isn´t many that would be interested in such a thing but it would still be great even if we were just 2-3 people who could play some saturn games over the phoneline once in a while :D

I am constantly looking on the web and on places like e-bay for both netlink games and the netlink itself,I would like to have a bunch of netlinks"in stock" that I could distribute to folks who would like to begin"netlinking"with their saturns :)

Originally posted by KuKzz@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 07:51 PM

There are no such game on Saturn :)

[post=140431]Quoted post[/post]​

There IS ,but it´s quite rare... :/

Haven´t found one yet,but I also haven´t given up the hope of one day finding one either! :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by Action Replay@Sat, 2005-10-08 @ 09:19 AM

There IS ,but it´s quite rare... :/

Haven´t found one yet,but I also haven´t given up the hope of one day finding one either! :thumbs-up:

[post=140444]Quoted post[/post]​

isn't that one come with JPN netlink LE modem box set? o_O

I used to have half dozen of that before gave them away../

Originally posted by dj898@Fri, 2005-10-07 @ 11:48 PM

isn't that one come with JPN netlink LE modem box set? o_O

I used to have half dozen of that before gave them away../

[post=140447]Quoted post[/post]​

That´s something I didn´t knew ,I thought the Netlink edition of Virtua Fighter remix was sold separatley,the LE modem box set must have been something equal to the US Netlink Game Pack edition? :huh (the one that included the netlink editions of Sega rally and Virtual On)

I´ll try to look on the web for some information about that box set,would be quite cool to own one :D

Back