Canned games for Saturn?

Mr^Burns

Staff member
What games were cancelled for Sega Saturn?

I know of Shenmue and Virtua Fighter 3 , how many more were there?

images

There's one list at SEGA-Network.de, but I don't know on what grounds the games were included. Some games listed (eg. Rollcage) were released so late I doubt they were even considered for the Saturn, let alone announced.

Originally posted by antime@Wed, 2005-08-31 @ 05:16 AM

There's one list at SEGA-Network.de, but I don't know on what grounds the games were included. Some games listed (eg. Rollcage) were released so late I doubt they were even considered for the Saturn, let alone announced.

[post=138952]Quoted post[/post]​

Thanks alot. very informative.

I'm sure that Fighting Force was almost completed, one of the saturn demo discs had a playable demo for it.

I also heard that Eternal Champions was completed and cancelled at the last minute.

A user here has dev versions of several of those unreleased games, including Return Fire (which is almost perfectly complete according to him).

Resident Evil 2 was announced, but then cancelled.

Tomb Raider II was coming to Saturn, but Sony bought the exclusive rights.

Fighting Force might've suffered the same fate (Not so sure on that though).

Sonic X-treme (We all know this one).

That's all I can think of right now.

This is going back a bit in the history of these forums, but wasnt there a discusion about the extra "processor" cart for the saturn that was meant to give it the extra grunt needed for VF3?

There were rumors of that, but I heard that VF3 was ported without it and was roughly in an alpha state when canned.

Originally posted by Borisz@Mon, 2005-09-05 @ 04:49 PM

I'm sure that Fighting Force was almost completed, one of the saturn demo discs had a playable demo for it.

I also heard that Eternal Champions was completed and cancelled at the last minute.

A user here has dev versions of several of those unreleased games, including Return Fire (which is almost perfectly complete according to him).

[post=139242]Quoted post[/post]​

That was a rolling demo. But it was demo that was running on the actual ENGINE in real time. Someone should hack it sometime.

Im planning to do a detailed list sometime, with information like why it was cancelled, how far in progress it was etc.

Here's some titles;

*Bedlam - Nearly or totally finished. Review copies were send out.

*Cybersled. - The only Namco title. Completed but unreleased.

*Syndicate wars (Bullfrog) - Game was complete apart from the FMV. Got cancelled when Bullfrog laid off all saturn development. (Spring '97)

*Reloaded - Playable demo released, probably near completed.

*Micro machines v3. Got cancelled because of the many delays. Had loads of development hassles.

*Chill - '98. Unreleased, probably because of the lack of pros this game had over the just released Steep slope sliders. Review copies were send out.

(SSM)

*Resident evil 2 - started but cancelled because of the Dreamcast announcement.

*Return fire. Completed, review copies send out. Cancelled for unknown reasons. There's threads on this board about a possible release.

*Adidas power soccer - Into testing phase. To be published by Perfect entertainment. Disappeared without a trace.

*Shredfest, EA - Ran on the Road rash engine. Cancelled for both PSX and Saturn. Probably because it was crap.

*Perfect weapon - Was to be released summer '97. Disappeared without a trace.

*Lethal enforcers 1&2 double pack - To be released summer '97..disappeared etc.

*Wild 9's - Delayed, delayed, delayed cancelled. By Dave Perry.

*Rattlesnake Red - For summer 97. Cancelled on all formats.(acclaim)

*Grand theft auto (nooooooooooooooo!) unknown reasons.

Too many other titles, but I wont list 'em all now.

I heard that Metal Gear Soild was originally going to be on the Saturn and It got canceled.

Also, I wounder how far the Policenauts Translation got before it was canceled?

Originally posted by SeGaFrEaK_NL@Sat, 2005-09-10 @ 05:33 AM

Resident evil 2 - started but cancelled because of the Dreamcast announcement.

[post=139463]Quoted post[/post]​

On another forum I post at, someone said this about RE2 for Saturn:

The prototype version of Biohazard 2 for the Saturn was cancelled at a very early "alpha" stage, with a figure of 15% mentioned by Capcom during interviews with co-producers Shinji Mikami and Hideki Kamiya. An exact number has never been revealed for the PlayStation edition, though an artist for the FMV sequences once said that a copy of the game was known to be 80% complete with only the ending sequences for one character left to be produced. 75% has also been mentioned several times, which suggests that the remaining work was bug testing and optimisation. Can a game really get so far into development before it is abandoned? Capcom must have been very unhappy with their results to restart production at such a late point in this high profile game's creation!

I think Capcom cancelled it because of the poor sales for RE1 on the saturn.

Back