Can't read Sega CD disc with PC CDROM drive

As far as I can tell, this game hasn't even be released yet. So, no one knows what kind of copy protection it has. It was supposed to be released sometime in 2004 I believe, and atleast one person asked about the game on their messege boards awhile back (it's not there now though), and they never got an answer as to when it would be available for order.

Originally posted by yourmaster@Tue, 2005-06-14 @ 10:03 PM

Is there at least a remote possibility that this disc can be read on a PC CDROM drive?

The game Mighty Mighty Missle! for SEGA CD has this 'warning' :

This disc contains physical data-protection against PC-CDROM Reader.

http://gooddealgames.com/Publishing_SegaCD...htyMissile.html

[post=135288]Quoted post[/post]​

Don't you dare trying to copy that game! :rant :rant :rant :devil :flamethrower:

I think he is actually asking if it could be read for his emulator... some people don't own a Sega cd and use Gens. So maybe he wants to BUY THE GAME and play it on his PC.

note: yourmaster, only read the capitol letters

I think a few advance copies were actually sold.

That reminds me I have to go back and finish the work on that I was supposed to do (Fonzie did most of the work for the game, I just helped out with one or two Sega CD related things, but I got busy).

This game won't work in any current emulator because of the copy protection.

wouldn't it be possible to make a working CD Image and load that in KEga?

Possibly if Kega gets to read subcodes, which usually store the copy protection related data?

Is there at least a remote possibility that this disc can be read on a PC CDROM drive?

The game Mighty Mighty Missle! for SEGA CD has this 'warning' :

In fact, since the publisher makes some efforts to release the game in limited amounts (less than 50), the game itself is a bit collector...

That's why this version is protected against CDROM-PC readers (in a same way, the game is protected against dump and "piracy").

A special (free and not protected) version of the game will be released too (for download) later.

It's just to protect both publisher and buyers (It is not especialy funny to see that everyone dl a game u bought).

:)

wouldn't it be possible to make a working CD Image and load that in KEga?

Possibly if Kega gets to read subcodes, which usually store the copy protection related data?

Nope, they wont be anyway to read it since it use a trick that only segacd disc system can do :p .

That reminds me I have to go back and finish the work on that

I received an reminder emain from GDG todays =P I just sent u an email for status...

See ya.

Fonzie

What exactly is that trick? I didn't thought the Sega CD drive is capable of anything special.

Too many publishers have jumped the gun with the comeback of retro and classic console systems, as far as pricing goes. There are so many freeware games, programs, emulators, etc, and with the low cost of cd replication in today's world, it would seem almost ridiculous to charge $20 or more for a game on an older platform, that has more novelty value than playability. I've seen prices on hacked, bootlegged, and new atari games and such at $30 to $50 or more. That's even more ridiculous.

If the games were complete, not buggy, and ones that every one wanted (japanese rpgs translated and ported to US), then I could see some of the price being worth it. With advertising cost very little or nothing on the internet, as well as reproduction cost, as i've said, being nearly nothing, the only cost is licensing (if any) and programming (again, if any - since several of the games aren't complete, i doubt there's much programming going on in a lot of the games).

So, now people want to know why people try to pirate these games? It wouldn't be too far fetched to say that everyone has and/or does it. An author of a well-known shareware/pay pc engine emulator, I see on newsgroups often, bitching people out for requesting cracks for it, but what the hell is he doing in a pirate group to begin with? He wants people to pay for his emulator, disabling each key that shows up on each new release of his emu, when he's active in piracy himself? What a hypocritic bastard.

Heyhey,

MMMissile is complete, and is supposed to have no bugs...

Its a WHOLE game.

The engine is even smoother and handle more elements per frame than the original one. Contains some bonues, the hi quality original sound track, a stronger AI and even more colors variety. About gameplay, it is not exactly based on original but very close...

The game part (exclude segacd sound/loading driver) was 100% coded by me, 100% from scratch.

I ripped and adapted the GFX and audio myself etc etc.

The only thing I can tell you actualy is that I won't earn EVEN ONE CENT on this game! Maybe I made bad choices but don't talk about hypocritic bastard here (or create new topic).

What exactly is that trick? I didn't thought the Sega CD drive is capable of anything special.

Héhé, i'll tell u later.

MMM only 50 copies? Then I should make a pre-order!

Originally posted by Malakai+Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:17 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Malakai @ Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:17 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Too many publishers have jumped the gun with the comeback of retro and classic console systems, as far as pricing goes.[/b]

2?

Originally posted by Malakai@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:17 PM

There are so many freeware games, programs, emulators, etc,...

Maybe on GP32, Dreamcast and newer consoles. But you won't tell me that there are a lot of freeware programs on Sega CD.

...and with the low cost of cd replication in today's world, it would seem almost ridiculous to charge $20 or more for a game on an older platform, that has more novelty value than playability. I've seen prices on hacked, bootlegged, and new atari games and such at $30 to $50 or more. That's even more ridiculous.

No matter how high the price is, it is always a better deal for the buyer than for the developer. Classic releases are very limited in amount.

If the games were complete, not buggy, and ones that every one wanted (japanese rpgs translated and ported to US), then I could see some of the price being worth it. With advertising cost very little or nothing on the internet, as well as reproduction cost, as i've said, being nearly nothing, the only cost is licensing (if any) and programming (again, if any - since several of the games aren't complete, i doubt there's much programming going on in a lot of the games).

You shouldn't think too much about things you do not have a clue about.

<!--QuoteBegin-Malakai
@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:17 PM

So, now people want to know why people try to pirate these games? It wouldn't be too far fetched to say that everyone has and/or does it. An author of a well-known shareware/pay pc engine emulator, I see on newsgroups often, bitching people out for requesting cracks for it, but what the hell is he doing in a pirate group to begin with? He wants people to pay for his emulator, disabling each key that shows up on each new release of his emu, when he's active in piracy himself? What a hypocritic bastard.

[post=135596]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

What are you doing in a pirate group?

He got a good reason, I would do the same.

I really hate these copy-kids. And I would hate them even more when they would try to destroy my own work.

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov+Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:50 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fonzievoltonov @ Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:50 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>Heyhey,

Its a WHOLE game.

The only thing I can tell you actualy is that I won't earn EVEN ONE CENT on this game! Maybe I made bad choices but don't talk about hypocritic bastard here (or create new topic).

[post=135602]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

The hypocritic bastard wasn't aimed toward you (whoever you are). It was aimed towards the creator of this emulator that preached one thing (pirate all the roms you want to) and then didn't want anyone to pirate his program to play those pirated roms.

<!--QuoteBegin-Rockin'-B
@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:56 PM

You shouldn't think too much about things you do not have a clue about.

What are you doing in a pirate group?

He got a good reason, I would do the same.

I really hate these copy-kids. And I would hate them even more when they would try to destroy my own work.

[post=135603]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

Releasing a beta of citizen x? and a buggy version of an incomplete game entitled space ranger, for the cd-i. I personally had this beta several years before gdg had released it. So, I don't know what I'm talking about now? Explain to me what anyone had done with these games, besides just making artwork, pressing the discs, and selling them? What bugs were taken out, what things added, etc?

I never said I didn't do copied games. While I have much more original games and movies than copied ones (500+ atari 2600, 50+ atari 7800, 150+ sega cd, 40+ pc engine/duo, 500+ nes games, 100+ snes games, as well as colecovision, intellivision, ti/99 4a, xbox, ps2, ps1, gc, gb, gbc, gba, dreamcast, saturn, genesis, 32x, sms, cd-i, and more, all original, as well as about 300 original music cds, and a good 1500 movies (vhs, dvd, laserdisc, beta, ced selectivision video disc, commercial vcd), again, all original.

As far as freeware stuff, I wasn't talking about sega cd. I was talking about pc games, emulators, and such.

QUOTE(Malakai @ Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:17 PM)

Too many publishers have jumped the gun with the comeback of retro and classic console systems, as far as pricing goes.

Originally posted by Rockin'-B@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:56 PM

MMM only 50 copies? Then I should make a pre-order!

2?

[post=135603]Quoted post[/post]​

You're probably just thinking of gdg and older games. Also, like I said, the new, bootlegged, and hacked versions of atari games being sold, as well as what you would call retro collections, a lot of times released by the original (or new owners of the original) companies. Atari, for example, releasing collections of games in PC CD-ROM format, as well as controllers with games built in them.

There are also arcade (to pc) hardware companies, supposedly licensing some of the mame roms to distribute with arcade pc cabinents and arcade-style controllers.

Also, there have been quite a few classic re-releases on the gameboy systems, and there will be classic game downloads on the nintendo revolution.

I don't know the exact number, but it has to be more than two :/

After that being said, I believe that this topic was blown way out of proportion. I support the idea of GDG and Oldergames, and have supported them financially in the past, with some purchases from their for sale section (some sega cd games, some 3do games, and a few NES games).

The statement about price is just my personal opinion. That's why I have yet to buy any of their releases.

Originally posted by Malakai@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 03:33 PM

The statement about price is just my personal opinion. That's why I have yet to buy any of their releases.

[post=135608]Quoted post[/post]​

soon a Genesis game, a kind you're waiting for if i read well ;)

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:50 PM

Héhé, i'll tell u later.

Why not now? If it's a hardware-related thing, then it wouldn't get "ripped off" and emulated anyway. Dreamcast discs aren't readable on a pc either, even though people -more or less- figured out their system.

Originally posted by fonzievoltonov@Wed, 2005-06-22 @ 02:50 PM

Heyhey,

Its a WHOLE game.

Based on the response I got from Good Deal Games, this game has an audio bug and they don't think they can fix it.

Here is what they said in their email:

"The official release has never been made, and may never come, as we are having trouble squashing what

we thought was a simple audio bug.

Some of out background music doesn't always play and the sound effect volume is very low, but can be adjusted by turning up the volume very high on your television.

At this point we may not formally release the product, but there have been a few of you that are very interested and simply want to see and play the game. The game is complete and runs pretty smoothly and is a great deal of fun. If your interested in obtaning a copy of Mighty Mighty Missile as is and described above, we are going to do a very small and limited run next week and can get you a copy.

The price is $24.99 plus $3.99 for shipping ($29.98) and if we do ever squash the audio bug and make an official release (which is doubtful) we'll allow you to upgrade to the final version for only $5.00 which includes the postage."

they are just the publisher. They do not even know what cpu type is the segacd.

I'm the game programmer and MOD is the mcd (sound and loader) programmer.

"and they don't think they can fix it."

It will be fixed this WeekEnd i hope, thx to MOD.

"ome of out background music doesn't always play and the sound effect volume is very low"

I intentionally made the SFX quiter cause of the sfx playing bug (else, it would make the game beta, released @ CGE2004, inaudible).

"do a very small and limited run next week and can get you a copy. "

I got some contacts this week, they are waiting for the final.

Btw: If they are not waiting, they will release a bugged game (that reboots randomly) with bugged SFX and gameplay and without 4player adaptator support and low quality sound track (96kb/s mp3's).

I start to think those guys @ GDG can't wait 1 day more.

Damn, hope they wont release the old 12 june 2004 beta !

I emailed them right now.

I REALLY can't wait to send the final disc pattern to GDG cause its about 1 year the game was supposed to be released...

Back