Castlevania Dreamcast prototype found (Edit: Dumped April 27th)

Mr^Burns

Staff member
Screenshot_20210405-185042~2.png

Google translation of french article:

"Proof of the existence of Castlevania: Resurrection Dreamcast

Over the years, some canceled games have become "holy grails" for collectors and video game archaeologists. Castlevania: Resurrection on Dreamcast is one of them.
It is a title that we thought lost forever, a game that we have been fantasizing about for 20 years. We just knew it was shown to the press, in a tight circle, in a partially playable version.
A few days ago, I was sent a message with the photo of the prototype. I couldn't believe it, he was there in front of my eyes. I thought I had fallen from my chair, I was witnessing his resurrection !!!
This game would have taken place in 3D environments. A time travel would have brought Sonia Belmont and Victor Belmont to meet.

The story was set to take place in 1666. Victor Belmont was an 1800s vampire hunter who had abandoned his lineage and left the area in fear of his fate as a vampire slayer. The player would face a female vampire as the main opponent.
In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
According to art director Greg Orduyan , the game was canceled due to Konami's lack of trust in the Dreamcast.
There are 5 environments and a boss fight that correspond to a stage of the game. Most areas do not connect with each other. They are accessible from the Start menu. One of them does not charge. This beta is an early build.
The content of the prototype:
This prototype is a pre E3 demo.

Conclusion:
Be careful, I don't know what my acquaintance intends to do with it. I do not wish to harbor false hopes. It may be necessary to be satisfied only with the photo and the video proving its existence.
The discovery of the prototype being major, with the agreement of its owner, I can disclose it and show it to you. We can also thank him!

Source: Castlevania: Resurrection Dreamcast et son prototype

Attachments

• Castlevania Resurrection dreamcast proto.jpg
    Castlevania Resurrection dreamcast proto.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 299
Last edited:
View attachment 6111

Google translation of french article:

"Proof of the existence of Castlevania: Resurrection Dreamcast

Over the years, some canceled games have become "holy grails" for collectors and video game archaeologists. Castlevania: Resurrection on Dreamcast is one of them.
It is a title that we thought lost forever, a game that we have been fantasizing about for 20 years. We just knew it was shown to the press, in a tight circle, in a partially playable version.
A few days ago, I was sent a message with the photo of the prototype. I couldn't believe it, he was there in front of my eyes. I thought I had fallen from my chair, I was witnessing his resurrection !!!
This game would have taken place in 3D environments. A time travel would have brought Sonia Belmont and Victor Belmont to meet.

The story was set to take place in 1666. Victor Belmont was an 1800s vampire hunter who had abandoned his lineage and left the area in fear of his fate as a vampire slayer. The player would face a female vampire as the main opponent.
In addition to this, you need to know more about it.
According to art director Greg Orduyan , the game was canceled due to Konami's lack of trust in the Dreamcast.
There are 5 environments and a boss fight that correspond to a stage of the game. Most areas do not connect with each other. They are accessible from the Start menu. One of them does not charge. This beta is an early build.
The content of the prototype:
This prototype is a pre E3 demo.

Conclusion:
Be careful, I don't know what my acquaintance intends to do with it. I do not wish to harbor false hopes. It may be necessary to be satisfied only with the photo and the video proving its existence.
The discovery of the prototype being major, with the agreement of its owner, I can disclose it and show it to you. We can also thank him!

Source: Castlevania: Resurrection Dreamcast et son prototype

It's up on ebay

I was playing it earlier it's fantastic to be able to finally see more of it and have a play. Despite being early in development I think it had the potential to be a very good game. Do you know why the corridor level with the snake in doesn't appear to work on real hardware ?

What a great year for unreleased games so far.

I was playing it earlier it's fantastic to be able to finally see more of it and have a play. Despite being early in development I think it had the potential to be a very good game. Do you know why the corridor level with the snake in doesn't appear to work on real hardware ?

What a great year for unreleased games so far.
Sadly I am far away from my Dreamcast, but I am sure somebody will tear it apart soon and make it working as well as it's possible.

The corridor works, but only in Flycast for some reason
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I saw a video of it looks really good. Was just interested in what it is that's different about that area that stops it being loaded on real hardware compared to all the other areas. Am sure eventually it will be made to work on real hardware.

Back